1858banner

Author Topic: 50/50 Beesway,Crisco shortening for over ball lube  (Read 271 times)

Offline Rebel Craig

50/50 Beesway,Crisco shortening for over ball lube
« on: December 24, 2019, 09:11:03 PM »
Well I made some 50/50 Beeswax, Crisco Shortening lube,filled a Mason Jar full of it.

I had read about using wads and under the ball lube and had originally thought about using wads ,cookies or pills.

But the more I have read the more of a mind I am to just seat the ball on top of the powder and then use over the ball Lube.

Seems like for my usages which will be Can/Paper plinking using the cylinder that came with my revolver and the one spare that I bought.
That the lube over ball with the stiff lube I made will be just fine and eliminate the need to make a wad of lube cookie .
In addition I plan to keep the revolver loaded in the house when not shooting it and there should be no problem with powder contamination as the stiff lube is over the ball.
Will shoot it 12 times every week or two then clean.Probably with a bore mop and Criso .
I think I am also going to use the shortening inside the revolver for prevention of rust and lube around the contact points.

Curious whether others still use a ball over lube ?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: 50/50 Beesway,Crisco shortening for over ball lube
« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2019, 09:29:28 PM »
I don't see why you couldn't use Crisco for a lube but since I hardly ever pull a revolver all the way down I use Remoil in the action. Just don't use it anywhere you're going to get powder fouling and combustion heat.I quit using over ball lube years ago in favor of wads. Over ball lube is just too messy.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2019, 12:28:56 AM »
Well Craig , here’s the deal:

I generally keep a spare .44 Remington cylinder loaded with five shots.  This is in case something comes on my grounds that deserves and warrants shooting with a BP weapon.  Anybody can make a kill with a 12 gauge slug or two and I may want to bring a little style to the occasion.  For this I use Black MZ and with that stuff for only five shots who needs lube?  I will paint the circumference of the ball or conical with just a little pistol puddin made of olive oil and bee’s wax.  Crisco with bee’s wax is fine too or just a couple of drops of olive oil will do. I do that just in case chain fires really do come from the cylinder face.  Never had a chain and have no dog in that debate.

White lithium grease is best for arbor and moving parts.  Some guys use Mobile One synthetic.  Rem oil is good on parts other than the arbor/pin but lithium grease is hella better.  The lube you are considering using on the internal parts (and I have to infer the cylinder pin too) won’t hold up worth a damn unless you do a full take-down once a week to replace it and only do 12 shots.

What’s with 12 shots?  Is that some magic number with you?  It don’t sound like much shootin (and you’ll have to clean up anyway).

Tonight I re-read Dylan Thomas’ A Child’s Christmas in Wales. This time to some kids and two fell asleep which was sort of the idea. I’m full of pie, good red wine and white meat turkey.  It’s made me chatty.  Thanks guys.  Your a good crowd.

Merry Christmas.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #3 on: December 25, 2019, 03:09:55 AM »
Well Craig , here’s the deal:

I generally keep a spare .44 Remington cylinder loaded with five shots.  This is in case something comes on my grounds that deserves and warrants shooting with a BP weapon.  Anybody can make a kill with a 12 gauge slug or two and I may want to bring a little style to the occasion.  For this I use Black MZ and with that stuff for only five shots who needs lube?  I will paint the circumference of the ball or conical with just a little pistol puddin made of olive oil and bee’s wax.  Crisco with bee’s wax is fine too or just a couple of drops of olive oil will do. I do that just in case chain fires really do come from the cylinder face.  Never had a chain and have no dog in that debate.

White lithium grease is best for arbor and moving parts.  Some guys use Mobile One synthetic.  Rem oil is good on parts other than the arbor/pin but lithium grease is hella better.  The lube you are considering using on the internal parts (and I have to infer the cylinder pin too) won’t hold up worth a damn unless you do a full take-down once a week to replace it and only do 12 shots.

What’s with 12 shots?  Is that some magic number with you?  It don’t sound like much shootin (and you’ll have to clean up anyway).

Tonight I re-read Dylan Thomas’ A Child’s Christmas in Wales. This time to some kids and two fell asleep which was sort of the idea. I’m full of pie, good red wine and white meat turkey.  It’s made me chatty.  Thanks guys.  Your a good crowd.

Merry Christmas.
I thought about getting Some of the Black MZ but Sportsmans Warehouse according to a rep I spoke with at Alliant bought all remaining stock and even though it still shows on Sportsmans website it will not let me order for delivery to the store.
I suppose just as well as I have read of low velocities even when shot from a longer barrel and mine is a only 5 1/2 inch barrel
Regardless I Bought a Pound of Pyrodex P which will need lube for the barrel and cylinder pin.

As far as the Crisco for the internal parts I have put some on the internals already and it has slicked the action in addition to when I tuned the action by getting rid of Burrs and rough spots and applying Montan X treme gun oil.
It is slick as owl chit and it is cheap and I already use it .
I Keep the house at about 68 degrees and it has stayed slick and in the Shortening mode while inside the revolver .
I am just going to use the Crisco by itself inside the revolver and the Crisco /beeswax lube on the cylinder pin and as an overball lube.
I cant for the life of me figure out why it will not hold up.
As long as the revolver cycles smoothly ok and when it gets to where it will not cycle smoothly I will Just add more.

What is it with 12 shots?
Well the Magic is that I will load all six chambers the revolver was designed to do.After making sure that when in the safety notches the hammer prevents unwanted cylinder rotation.

Depending on how much I am in the mood to shoot I may shoot 6 or 12 or 18 or 24.Those are all multiples of 6 and I do not want to load 6 and only shooting a couple nor do I only want to Load a couple of the cylinder holes.
If I am going to load it at all I will be loading all six chambers and if I am through shooting I will take it inside and clean it and load it again.
I have other Handguns such as the 380 Ruger LCP that resides in my shirt pocket on a permanent basis that I do not have to clean after every time I shoot it and sometimes only shoot it 8 times in the yard just to stay proficient .
I live in the country and do not have to go to a designated range to shoot so am way more apt to shoot just a few times on a catch can basis than someone who has to get all supplies loaded up in a vehicle and go to range,Then they probably would not want to just shoot a few rounds .
If the urge to shoot hits me again during the day I just walk outside and shoot some more !

Thanks for the comments

Merry Christmas to you as well

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #4 on: December 25, 2019, 09:07:52 AM »
According to a couple accounts I've read, Bill Hickock fired and cleaned each of his two '51 Colts each evening to ensure his loads were fresh.  I imagine it contributed to his legendary accuracy, too.  GF

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #5 on: December 28, 2019, 09:27:37 PM »
According to a couple accounts I've read, Bill Hickock fired and cleaned each of his two '51 Colts each evening to ensure his loads were fresh.  I imagine it contributed to his legendary accuracy, too.  GF

Yes, my accuracy is Legendary as well.
I can keep all my shots on a paper plate at about 20 Ft at a pretty good rate of fire . LOL

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 28, 2019, 10:45:14 PM »
I just shoot slow mostly and savor each shot.

Where did that account come from?  Was that from Geo. Ward Nichols' in Harpers New Monthly?

I scarcely believe it, although it could be true.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: December 29, 2019, 01:18:45 AM »
I just shoot slow mostly and savor each shot.

Where did that account come from?  Was that from Geo. Ward Nichols' in Harpers New Monthly?

I scarcely believe it, although it could be true.

I find it highly unlikely. All George Ward Nichols said was that he cleaned and oiled them in his hotel room the evening before the Tutt fight. which is understandable but nothing was said about him firing them. I hardly think he would have fired them and then took them empty to his room to clean them. MY opinion is he wanted to be sure they were in good working order in case there was a fight. It was probably not an everyday thing.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.