1858banner

Author Topic: What was that about the .31 bouncing off boards?  (Read 158 times)

Offline Phil97

What was that about the .31 bouncing off boards?
« on: December 22, 2019, 06:47:17 AM »
.31 Remington vs 3 particle boards. Who wins?
Also, I noticed that particleboard tends to make bullets expand a lot more than solid wood. I've seen some absolutely massive .44 holes in the back of these things. By massive I mean holes like 1 inch across

Shooting: https://youtu.be/qI9PWfckfLQ

Results: https://youtu.be/IxBu5oLd1qw
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:31:49 AM by Phil97 »

Online mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: What was that about the .31 bouncing off boards?
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2019, 07:08:39 AM »
Interesting Phil,  I've always wanted to try out a pocket Remington.   I would have liked to see the target up close showing the points of impact and exit.    The video seems to show that the .31 Remington isn't quite as anemic as some would have us believe.
How much and what type of powder and what size projectile you were loading would also be helpful information.

Offline Phil97

« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2019, 08:22:36 AM »
Interesting Phil,  I've always wanted to try out a pocket Remington.   I would have liked to see the target up close showing the points of impact and exit.    The video seems to show that the .31 Remington isn't quite as anemic as some would have us believe.
How much and what type of powder and what size projectile you were loading would also be helpful information.
I had it loaded with 12 grains of Vectan PNF2 and a .323 round ball. There was full penetration in all 3 boards, except for 1 bullet I had shot earlier, which got stuck halfway in the 3rd board. Keep in mind this powder is comparable in power to Goex. If this had been Swiss the result would have been much more dramatic. Also, I just realized that the video I uploaded didn't show the upclose of the impacts. Here it is: https://youtu.be/IxBu5oLd1qw
The 2 bigger holes in the middle of the last board were made with a .44. The surrounding 4 holes were the .31 exit holes
« Last Edit: December 22, 2019, 08:33:30 AM by Phil97 »

Online mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2019, 08:54:24 AM »
Smokeless powder in a BP revolver is a big no no as far as I'm concerned.   I don't know about what is available in other countries and what laws you are up against so I won't comment further.   Thanks for the video.

Offline Phil97

« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2019, 08:59:19 AM »
Smokeless powder in a BP revolver is a big no no as far as I'm concerned.   I don't know about what is available in other countries and what laws you are up against so I won't comment further.   Thanks for the video.
Oh no, it is black powder. Vectan PNF2 is a french black powder only available in europe. Had that been 12 grains of smokeless the gun would have blown up for sure. Here is a picture attached

Online mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: December 22, 2019, 10:28:05 AM »
I see...  I guess I've never seen that before.    The only Vectan powder I know of is smokeless.   PNF2 makes sense now that I see it.  (FF Black Powder)   Thanks for clearing that up. 
The video of the target penetration is interesting as well.   I would not have thought the .31 round ball would have made it through all 3 layers.    Thanks for posting that too.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2019, 04:58:16 PM »
That’s impressive terminal ballistics.  I’m beginning to understand why people packed a pocket.  Is the PN roughly comparable to Swiss?

Poudre Noire, Schwarzpulver, Polvo Negro    ...    powder black/black powder (by any other name would smell as sweet).
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Phil97

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2019, 06:29:30 PM »
That’s impressive terminal ballistics.  I’m beginning to understand why people packed a pocket.  Is the PN roughly comparable to Swiss?

Poudre Noire, Schwarzpulver, Polvo Negro    ...    powder black/black powder (by any other name would smell as sweet).
I think it's closer to standard Goex. I have a Chrony on the way so soon I will be able to post velocities

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
Pretty impressive what a little .31 can do.