1858banner

Author Topic: Push button or thumb operated brass flask ??  (Read 260 times)

Online Rebel Craig

Push button or thumb operated brass flask ??
« on: December 19, 2019, 06:47:05 PM »
I am going to buy a Powder Flask and curious as to which type of operating system is preferable.
A push button like the Traditions or a thumb operated like the Cva ?
Does one type Throw a more accurate charge or less likely to dump a charge when carried in a coat pocket ?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Push button or thumb operated brass flask ??
« Reply #1 on: December 19, 2019, 08:31:41 PM »
Either or, just whichever one you like best. I have a brass CVA flask with the lever and I have a push button on a powder horn. Neither one leaks. How hard you hold your thumb over the spout makes a little bit of difference in how much powder a flask pours.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Online Rebel Craig

« Reply #2 on: December 20, 2019, 11:03:21 AM »
Sounds like it is about as broad as it is long so I will just look for the best price .

Thanks

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 20, 2019, 11:57:50 AM »
I use one like this for revolvers. Stay away from the cheap period looking flasks. https://www.midwayusa.com/product/1002225580
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 20, 2019, 12:33:30 PM »
That's the one.

I use one of those CVA 5 oz. lever actions.  It’s a good flask and if you‘re only going to have one, that‘s the one. 

Started out with Pedersolli Remington and Colt period lever jobs and still use them often.  VTI has replacement parts available in the unlikely event something breaks down.

A couple of years ago I bought a cheapo Traditions black composite polymer cylindrical (3 oz).with a fixed non-removeable 20-gr. spout for kickin around and general mistreatment.  It’s a push-button and I’m still trying to get comfortable with it.  I’m glad I got it but not recommended.

Start a collection of spouts of various throws.  Can’t have too many spouts.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 20, 2019, 01:36:15 PM »
The Pedersoli flasks are good. I use a push button on one of my powder horns and in that application I really like it. I don't think I'd want a lever there.

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2020, 04:36:35 AM »
I use a pedersoli lever to pre-fill vials to load at the bench( can't have open powder on the firing line, some idiot blew himself up), have different tips for different guns, I find it quick and simple to use
gumpy