1858banner

Author Topic: Pyrodex P ,Ignition and Velocity from Remington New Army ??  (Read 199 times)

Online Rebel Craig

Pyrodex P ,Ignition and Velocity from Remington New Army ??
« on: December 16, 2019, 05:04:03 PM »
For those who use Pyrodex P does it give good ignition without Hangfires?
If you have a chronograph what is the velocity you are getting with a 30 to 40 grain charge behind a round ball ?

Same 2 Questions for Straight Triple 7 with no booster charge.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Pyrodex P ,Ignition and Velocity from Remington New Army ??
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 06:15:39 PM »
Below are some Pyro P stats from Pocono Shooting using .44 Remingtons.   Last time I got crony results was using a Pietta .44 Remington and Pyrodex P.  My average was around 950 fps with .454’s using 30 grains.  That seems to be a bit faster than what most folks clock.

For the longest time Pyrodex was the only available powder in my area so I’ve shot a lot of that stuff.  I’ve never had ignition problems using it.  Even in paper carts it has always ignited just fine for me.

Triple 7 is hot.  Penetration test on pine planks indicate that it produces significantly increased velocities over Pyrodex - grain for grain, volumetric.  Generally, I follow the 15% advisory just to be safe.  No ignition problems whatever.

Maybe you've already looked at this but if not then check it out. - -

poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 06:27:10 PM »
Never used T7, but I've shot a ton of Pyro P due to availability.
Only time I've had issues was when shooting up the remainder of a pound that was at least 4 years old and had been opened that long. Kind of weak and lethargic. I dumped it out and opened a fresh pound and the difference was striking.
Also, Pyro P really likes the NEW #10 Remington caps (the hot ones).
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 08:59:17 PM »
I've used a lot of Pyrodex since it first came out. I mostly use RS(even in revolvers)since it's easier to find. I've never had any issues using standard caps on side locks and revolvers. It's good in cartridges too. I did have slow fires with my 63 Sharps because of the long firing channel with two turns but it never failed to fire. It was kinda like a poorly timed flintlock. It cleans up just as easily as real bp and I sometimes go several days without cleaning after using it. It's also the cheapest of all the subs and because it's lighter than bp and measured by volume you get more shots per pound.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Online Rebel Craig

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 09:00:56 PM »
Below are some Pyro P stats from Pocono Shooting using .44 Remingtons.   Last time I got crony results was using a Pietta .44 Remington and Pyrodex P.  My average was around 950 fps with .454’s using 30 grains.  That seems to be a bit faster than what most folks clock.

For the longest time Pyrodex was the only available powder in my area so I’ve shot a lot of that stuff.  I’ve never had ignition problems using it.  Even in paper carts it has always ignited just fine for me.

Triple 7 is hot.  Penetration test on pine planks indicate that it produces significantly increased velocities over Pyrodex - grain for grain, volumetric.  Generally, I follow the 15% advisory just to be safe.  No ignition problems whatever.

Maybe you've already looked at this but if not then check it out. - -

poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

Good to know that neither the Pyrodex P or the Triple 7 have ignition problems.

That is an interesting link
It Looks like it will be relatively easy to get 900 FPS with The Pietta Sheriff 5 -1/2 barrel I have  Along with the Hornady .454 balls I have.

Thanks

Online Rebel Craig

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 09:14:04 PM »
Never used T7, but I've shot a ton of Pyro P due to availability.
Only time I've had issues was when shooting up the remainder of a pound that was at least 4 years old and had been opened that long. Kind of weak and lethargic. I dumped it out and opened a fresh pound and the difference was striking.
Also, Pyro P really likes the NEW #10 Remington caps (the hot ones).

Good Information,Hard to tell right now but I think I will go through a Pound in 6 months or so.
I bought a 100 of the hotter Remington Caps the other day when I stopped by the store.
I bought just the Primers as I did not want to by any powder till I was sure what Kind I wanted .

When I go by the store next week I will pickup a pound of the Pyrodex P

Thanks

Online Rebel Craig

« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2019, 09:24:07 PM »
I've used a lot of Pyrodex since it first came out. I mostly use RS(even in revolvers)since it's easier to find. I've never had any issues using standard caps on side locks and revolvers. It's good in cartridges too. I did have slow fires with my 63 Sharps because of the long firing channel with two turns but it never failed to fire. It was kinda like a poorly timed flintlock. It cleans up just as easily as real bp and I sometimes go several days without cleaning after using it. It's also the cheapest of all the subs and because it's lighter than bp and measured by volume you get more shots per pound.

That is good,I had not even thought about using the RS,Good to know if I ever have an Issue finding the Pyrodex P
Good to know also about the cleanup and getting more shots per pound,that works for me !
Solves my issue of which powder to use ,cheap,More shots per pound and good ignition,available locally.

Thanks

Online Rebel Craig

« Reply #7 on: December 28, 2019, 08:53:08 PM »
I know there are 7000 grains per pound so dividing 7000 grains by 30 grains would be about 233 shots using Black Powder

What is the formula to reflect  the difference in amount of shots with Pyrodex P ?

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 28, 2019, 10:31:20 PM »
This material from ssb73q may pertain and help solve the various differences in volume to weight.  He’s established the relative weights of some of the good stuff.    Pyrodex P when thrown from his 30 grain (volumetric) spout weighed an actual 18.2 grains. 

https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=6410.0

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Online Rebel Craig

« Reply #9 on: December 29, 2019, 12:16:28 AM »
This material from ssb73q may pertain and help solve the various differences in volume to weight.  He’s established the relative weights of some of the good stuff.    Pyrodex P when thrown from his 30 grain (volumetric) spout weighed an actual 18.2 grains. 

https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=6410.0

Then it looks like using the Pyrodex P would result in about 384 shots per pound compared to using Black powder resulting in about 233 shots per pound ,both when using 30 Grains measured by volume.
Pretty Big Difference