1858banner

Author Topic: 1862 colt pocket police,questions about  (Read 183 times)

Offline Rebel Craig

1862 colt pocket police,questions about
« on: December 13, 2019, 02:55:23 AM »
For those that have them,what kind of accuracy and velocity are you getting with 36 caliber roundballs ?
Using Olde Eynsford or triple 7?

You prefer the Uberti or the larger Pietta ?
Any problems with cap jams?
« Last Edit: December 13, 2019, 02:59:39 AM by Rebel Craig »

Offline Fielder

Re: 1862 colt pocket police,questions about
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2019, 12:47:35 PM »
Lots of cap Jams. Mine is 2nd generation Colt (made in 1980s I think). Don't have a chronograph. Accuracy is good. It shoots very very high, but doesn't  every Colt? My solution is to back way up, eventually it isn't shooting high any more. Of course I need a big cardboard to shoot at 50 yards. The Lyman Black Powder Loading Manual will give lots of velocities and loads (used  editions on Amazon usually are usually dirt cheap if you don't buy the latest edition). It's tall and wide as a phone book, but half as thick.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2019, 04:01:03 PM »
Lots of cap Jams. Mine is 2nd generation Colt (made in 1980s I think). Don't have a chronograph. Accuracy is good. It shoots very very high, but doesn't  every Colt? My solution is to back way up, eventually it isn't shooting high any more. Of course I need a big cardboard to shoot at 50 yards. The Lyman Black Powder Loading Manual will give lots of velocities and loads (used  editions on Amazon usually are usually dirt cheap if you don't buy the latest edition). It's tall and wide as a phone book, but half as thick.

Thanks,although that does not sound too encouraging.
Shooting too high would be one thing to live with but a bunch of cap Jams is not something I would tolerate for long .

Thanks for keeping me from spending good money on a paperweight.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 06:26:56 PM »
From my readings I've gathered that the 62 Metro Police is the cap jaminist SOB out there.  I only shot one on one occasion (18 rounds) and had no jams.  Go figure. 

Despite their bad-jam jacket they sure are pretty little suckers.  The grips are ideal for girls or a midget.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hewy

• Black Friday
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2019, 06:40:20 PM »
I also have a Uberti 62 , no cap jams , I use 3f Goex BP.
There are mods available for cap jaming also known as "cap sucking"
Search for repairs on the tube.
I like mine.
Hewy
Better to be gettin , than gettin got.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2019, 08:37:58 PM »
Hi Craig, I have three Uberti 1862 and they all suck caps big time. Soldering in the hammer safety notch helps some. Like all modern Uberti revolvers, they have a short arbor that requires a fix. Another negative is that the only conversion cylinder available is for the .22.  There is a lot more about the Colts on the Colt board. You are welcome to join that message board:

https://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php

Regards,
Richard