1858banner

Author Topic: Loading lever  (Read 238 times)

Offline Rbtom

Loading lever
« on: November 23, 2019, 12:47:55 PM »
The loading lever popped off on my .44 today. I replaced on once with a Colt style, dovetailed. Has anyone used anything better? I'm thinking about just going with the dovetailed again, and I would like a better front sight. Cut 2 dovetails and be done with it. I've tried to solder them in the past, and that just adds to the frustration on my end.

Rb

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Loading lever
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2019, 10:02:08 PM »
Get them for a Uberti and cut the dovetails.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 24, 2019, 02:20:39 PM »
Hmm.  So the lever didn't pop off after all.  The latch lug popped of.  I had to spend a moment in confusion before I decided it was best to disbelieve you.  At that point it made sense.  Yes, then get the Uberti Remington lever latch lug and the Uberti Remington front sight and have at it.

As for a "better" front sight it depends on what you want.  I'd say learn how to silver solver (hard solder) and make your own.  Or cut one out of a solid block of steel or brass, or nickel silver, or silver,  and dovetail that one into the barrel.

Here's now I did one, and ended up with a "better" front sight, but that was done with two pieces silver soldered together and then dovetailed into the barrel;
https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=10160.0

On a "Target" model Pietta Remington with the taller sights, I swapped out the factory front sight with a Marble Arms base for a rifle sight on an octagonal barrel, and a Marble Arms fiber-optic front sight to match the height I needed.  That required drilling and tapping the barrel, so I hired an ostensible "gunsmith" who claimed to know how to tap a shallow blind hole, and he proceeded to ruin my barrel by drilling all the way into the bore.  The front sight is certainly "better" but the barrel is ruined.

So it's all about what you want to end up with.  I'd say if you can't do it yourself don't try to hire some "gunsmith" because the chances are you'll be sorry you did.  Limit the job to what you can do with confidence on your own.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Rbtom

« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2019, 07:39:57 AM »
Sorry, it is the front lug. I was looking at the colt style dovetails. What is the difference between a uberti and pietta lug and sight? Both look the same to me.

Rb

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #4 on: November 25, 2019, 02:34:18 PM »
Sorry, it is the front lug. I was looking at the colt style dovetails. What is the difference between a uberti and pietta lug and sight? Both look the same to me.

Rb

Uberti is dovetailed.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Rbtom

« Reply #5 on: November 28, 2019, 10:55:03 AM »
Collt revolvers are dovetailed. I might be wrong, but as far as I know, all remingtons are not. Being it's a repro anyways I'm really not as concerned about originality. But functioning as intended is a concern The first dovetails I made were far from perfect, but they turned out ok. Dovetailed colt style loading lever catch and a taller skinner front sight.

Rb

Offline Rbtom

« Reply #6 on: November 28, 2019, 11:05:36 AM »
I just looked at the uberti remington. It is dovetailed! I will order them!

Rb

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2019, 11:27:33 AM »
Granted I'm Pietta... But Taylor and Sons is backordered... #stillwaiting.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.