1858banner

Author Topic: Input on making a holster for my Pietta Sheriff  (Read 142 times)

Offline Rebel Craig

Input on making a holster for my Pietta Sheriff
« on: November 22, 2019, 05:21:18 PM »
I recently bought a Pietta Remington New Army Sheriff and I am going to make a holster for it.

Going to make it out of 8-10 ounce Vegetable Tanned

Crossdraw ,Slim Jim

I have a few questions for those who have gone this direction.

Is there anything to recommend adding a belt loop to the back of the Holster or merely cutting slots in the back of the holster ?
I will be carrying on my everyday belt  ,a 1 1/2 gunbelt .

I have also thought about using brass rivets instead of Hand sewing.
I know the rivets look good but do not know the pros and cons of using them?

In both of the scenarios listed above is one more period correct than the other ?

Appreciate it

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Input on making a holster for my Pietta Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2019, 06:09:34 PM »
Hello Craig,   
I've made a holster or two.   
My advice is to search YouTube for holster making videos.   Cutting slots for the belt to pass through is neither a good idea nor period correct.  The slots will just tear out eventually and the belt will prevent easy insertion of the gun into the holster.   As far as period correct goes, rivets would have been used at the stress points in addition to sewing.    I don't recall seeing any period pieces held with rivets only.    If sewing is not your thing then consider lacing the main seam.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2019, 08:59:34 AM »
Mike is the expert, but I have made a couple dozen of these as well. I agree 100% with Mike on staying away from the slots. As far as rivets go.....that choice is yours. If you want it to be more period correct, sewing is in order. It's not hard, but does require a little practice and the right tools to get the stitching to look good. Lacing is another alternative like Mike mentioned.....plenty of videos on line for either approach. Here's one I did a little while back for a Colt Richards Conversion. Definitely not perfect, but I keep trying! :)

-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2019, 01:14:38 PM »
Hi Rebel Craig, jump on over to the "Welcome Wagon" and tell us a few things about yourself.

How did you find this Great Forum?
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2019, 12:39:22 AM »
Hello Craig,   
I've made a holster or two.   
My advice is to search YouTube for holster making videos.   Cutting slots for the belt to pass through is neither a good idea nor period correct.  The slots will just tear out eventually and the belt will prevent easy insertion of the gun into the holster.   As far as period correct goes, rivets would have been used at the stress points in addition to sewing.    I don't recall seeing any period pieces held with rivets only.    If sewing is not your thing then consider lacing the main seam.

I mad e couple about 35 years ago ,one for a Smith 29 44 mag and another for a TC Contender 44 Mag a slim Jim.
Latest was recently I made one for a Bersa Thunder plus 380 with laser,a Pancake with about a 80 /20 wet molding mostly on the front.
Got a lot of Help from a real nice guy on Leatherworker.net and watched a lot of Sam Andrews videos on you tube.
Ended up using 6-7 ounce veg tan and a Kitchen fork to space the holes (5 TPI)and a small finishing nail and a hammer to make the stitching holes.

Thank you for your help

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #5 on: November 24, 2019, 01:07:00 AM »
Mike is the expert, but I have made a couple dozen of these as well. I agree 100% with Mike on staying away from the slots. As far as rivets go.....that choice is yours. If you want it to be more period correct, sewing is in order. It's not hard, but does require a little practice and the right tools to get the stitching to look good. Lacing is another alternative like Mike mentioned.....plenty of videos on line for either approach. Here's one I did a little while back for a Colt Richards Conversion. Definitely not perfect, but I keep trying! :)

Now that That is a fine looking Holster .

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2019, 03:14:06 AM »
A Dremel with a drill bit is easier to make holes with than a hammer and nail, especially if you have a Flex Shaft.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #7 on: November 24, 2019, 04:19:55 AM »
A Dremel with a drill bit is easier to make holes with than a hammer and nail, especially if you have a Flex Shaft.

I have a Dremel but not a flex shaft.
And I thought about using it but decided to give do it with a hammer and and nail for simplicities sake.

I Imagine the Dremel would be faster though.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #8 on: November 24, 2019, 11:48:43 AM »

I have a Dremel but not a flex shaft.
And I thought about using it but decided to give do it with a hammer and and nail for simplicities sake.

I Imagine the Dremel would be faster though.

A lot faster.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Rebel Craig

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2019, 03:27:34 PM »
Hi Everybody.Happy Thanksgiving

Do most of yall making these Slim Jim Holsters use a separate Belt loop sewed on the back or make the belt loop by folding over the top leather to form a loop?

I read the sticky titled Community Holster and was wondering if anyone would be nice enough to send me the pattern for it
or the pattern that you use.
I would appreciate it.