1858 remington forum

Author Topic: UK Nitro Conversions.  (Read 117 times)

Offline Certus

UK Nitro Conversions.
« on: October 23, 2019, 09:36:26 AM »
Hi,
I started shooting reproduction muzzle loading revolvers following the ban on the ownership of breech loading pistols here in the UK in 1995.
Although I enjoy shooting my standard Uberti Remington 1858 outside, its nice to be able shoot inside sometimes. especially on those wet winter days we often experience in this country. Most UK based indoor ranges do not permit the use of black powder or its substitutes, so there was a market for a standard Uberti Remington to be converted and proofed for the use of smokeless powder. Here are few pictures of the result produced by a small UK manufacturer. The conversion is based on the standard Uberti model, but now uses 4.6 grns of Herco powder and 209 shotgun primers instead of the usual No 11 percussion caps. The gun is loaded in exactly the same manner as the standard revolver with the exception of the primers being inserted via a hinged gate as you would rounds in a metal cartridge revolver. Attached to the side of the frame is a pricking tool to dislodge any stubborn fired primers, although they usually just fall out. Its at least as accurate as my black powder revolver, but with the advantage of my being able to shoot indoors or outside.

Regards
Brian

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
Re: UK Nitro Conversions.
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2019, 10:46:07 AM »
very cool.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2019, 11:01:19 AM »
Hello Brian

Likewise. I "discovered" muzzle loaders after king rat Tony.B.Liar confiscated our cartridge pistols in 1997. Then I bought a Pietta 1858 target model in stainless and only ever used Pyrodex through it. I couldn't be bothered with the explosives licence and the safe storage nonsense.

I retired 11 years ago and moved to Spain. Despite now having Glocks, 1911's and an AR15 I decided to revisit black powder. Now I have a stainless Uberti 1858 .44 NMA. No silly rules about black powder here, good job because BP substitutes are not available here.

During an enforced visit to the Isles of gloom in February I went to the Great British Shooting Show at the N.E.C in Birmingham and I handled some of those nitro converted revolvers. I have to say they were very nice put together by British artisan gunsmiths. Most impressive.

Nice looking revolver you got there, real quality.

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2019, 03:20:46 PM »
Who is the manufacturer?

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2019, 05:15:44 AM »

Offline Certus

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2019, 05:49:57 AM »
Here's one

http://anvilconversions.co.uk/

Hi,

There are two manufacturers of nitro conversions in the UK one being Anvil Conversions (link above) the other being Westlake Engineering (link below).

http://www.westlakeengineering.com/

The Westlake conversion is based on a modern, Double Action revolver, uses .38 Wadcutter bullets and requires the cylinder to be removed during loadiing using a small press.

I chose the Anvil as I wanted a traditional Single Action revolver close in handling and accuracy as my standard Uberti BP revolver

Regards
Brian

Offline Certus

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2019, 05:58:03 AM »
Hello Brian

Likewise. I "discovered" muzzle loaders after king rat Tony.B.Liar confiscated our cartridge pistols in 1997. Then I bought a Pietta 1858 target model in stainless and only ever used Pyrodex through it. I couldn't be bothered with the explosives licence and the safe storage nonsense.

I retired 11 years ago and moved to Spain. Despite now having Glocks, 1911's and an AR15 I decided to revisit black powder. Now I have a stainless Uberti 1858 .44 NMA. No silly rules about black powder here, good job because BP substitutes are not available here.

During an enforced visit to the Isles of gloom in February I went to the Great British Shooting Show at the N.E.C in Birmingham and I handled some of those nitro converted revolvers. I have to say they were very nice put together by British artisan gunsmiths. Most impressive.

Nice looking revolver you got there, real quality.

Hello,
Given the political state of the UK at the moment and the usual poor weather, its sounds like you've got it sorted.
What are the present firearm laws like in Spain and are there quite a few clubs within reasonable travelling distance ?
Regards
Brian

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2019, 06:59:10 AM »
Hi

The gun laws here are pretty much as they were in the U.K before 1987 pre Hungerford. The attitude here to firearm ownership is totally different to nanny state England. Nobody throws their hands up recoiling in horror here, the Spanish are not anti gun brainwashed like in the U.K.

You can have pretty much anything that Americans can have with a couple of odd exceptions. No 7.62mm nor 5.56 mm in semi automatics. Semi auto long guns it isn't illegal to OWN HiCap mags but you cannot use them.

Pistols anything goes, pump and semi auto shotguns with 14" barrels, black powder guns, all licenced by the Guardia Civil.

Rifles and pistols are subject to statutory storage in approved safes, but NOT for .22 rimfire rifles, shotguns nor muzzleloaders.

So yeah it was a good move all in all.

Regards

Steve

There are four indoor ranges within half an hour of where I live near Malaga. We had a FANTASTIC outdoor range in the mountains behind Malaga, but some idiot set fire to the mountain behind it. So they shut it down.

Offline Certus

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2019, 08:06:11 AM »
Hi

The gun laws here are pretty much as they were in the U.K before 1987 pre Hungerford. The attitude here to firearm ownership is totally different to nanny state England. Nobody throws their hands up recoiling in horror here, the Spanish are not anti gun brainwashed like in the U.K.

You can have pretty much anything that Americans can have with a couple of odd exceptions. No 7.62mm nor 5.56 mm in semi automatics. Semi auto long guns it isn't illegal to OWN HiCap mags but you cannot use them.

Pistols anything goes, pump and semi auto shotguns with 14" barrels, black powder guns, all licenced by the Guardia Civil.

Rifles and pistols are subject to statutory storage in approved safes, but NOT for .22 rimfire rifles, shotguns nor muzzleloaders.

So yeah it was a good move all in all.

Regards

Steve

There are four indoor ranges within half an hour of where I live near Malaga. We had a FANTASTIC outdoor range in the mountains behind Malaga, but some idiot set fire to the mountain behind it. So they shut it down.

Hello Steve,
Thanks for the feedback. Now you've got me thinking.
Brian