1858banner

Author Topic: Bullet evolution  (Read 182 times)

Offline Desperate Lee

• American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD
Bullet evolution
« on: October 19, 2019, 01:02:23 PM »
Omni
Was wondering how your swaged lead bullet project has come along? The ones you sent me work excellantly in my '58 Remmie.  Any new developments beside your X formed heads?
_l
The question i got is can i send you a couple boxes of .490 round ball and have you form them for me or can you make me  set of dies to do it myself.
 :-*

Gary ( Desperate Lee)
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne

Marine Corps League #1452 Ellis County Texas
NRA Life Member since 1988
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree

Offline Desperate Lee

• American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD
Re: Bullet evolution
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2019, 08:19:07 PM »
 {+*
 A while back someone had an idea about gluing 45 cal rb to 30 grn pyrodex pellets as a speed loader, how did that work out? Whoever was experimenting with this i would like to hear your results. I have not found pellets locally, but am on a little holiday in Brason Mo and took a run to Springfield Bass Pro and they had them. Bought a box of 100 so now i have them. Do they make a 30 grn pellets in 45 with T7? I know they make a 50 grn pellet for rifles in 50 cal. That might work in my Mountain Pistol in 50 cal but not sure about it. Any help guys would be appreciated.
 }),
DL
« Last Edit: October 23, 2019, 07:43:49 AM by Desperate Lee »
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne

Marine Corps League #1452 Ellis County Texas
NRA Life Member since 1988
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Bullet evolution
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2019, 05:20:35 PM »
Hi Gary,

Sorry; I haven't been visiting the forum much lately, and only just now saw this.

I posted a long time ago about cementing Pyro pellets to the flat base of the Lee conical (but any flat base conical for percussion revolvers would do) using sodium silicate (a common cement used back in the day).  I then veeerry carefully dipped the bullet in melted lube, for a lubed cartridge made of "compressed powder" so as to emulate what was done on a limited scale in the 1860s.  It works OK, for a hoot, but in storage and handling the pellets can become dislodged from the bullets.  Careful handling is therefore required.

I used a small syringe with the needle removed as a way of dispensing a small drop of the "water glass" (another name for sodium silicate) to the clean bullet base prior to sticking the bullet and pellet together.  The water glass hardens via contact with the carbon dioxide in the air, and so you must be careful to clean out your syringe after each session, or seal it effectively and totally from any air.

I eventually decided that paper cartridges were the better system, but the pellets glued to the bullet base is a viable option for them as want to experiment with cartridges but don't like the paper rolling process.

The other issue I had was the occasional slight hang-fire you sometimes get when using the pellets.  Some say they don't get hang-fires with the pellets, but I couldn't get through a long shooting day without at least a few hang-fires.

The paper tail I leave on my paper carts also makes them a lot easier to handle, and to pluck one at a time from a cartridge belt box, etc.

I thought of using a starter charge of black powder at the base of the pellet cart, and applying a short bit of thread to serve the function of my paper tail, but making paper carts using real black powder is a lot easier, it allows the inclusion of a grease cookie, and being made of real black powder my paper carts rarely ever hang-fire.

Try the 30 grain pellet carts if you're interested, and let us know your experiences.  You can get sodium silicate at your typical drug store.  It's also sold in much larger quantities for seal-coating concrete floors, but unless you're making millions of pellet "cartridges" I'd advise getting the smallest container of sodium silicate that you can find.

I also use sodium silicate for making sand cores for iron casting, but that's a whole other subject.  It's also been used for the preservation of eggs.

They make 45 caliber pellets in some larger charge for rifles, yes, but they'd be limited to the Colt Walker, and still, for reliable ignition they need a hotter cap than we use for revolvers.

For the Walker I make a much longer paper cart, with less taper, having the larger charges as viable in the Walker's longer chambers, and that works very well.  That's the system I used to kill a white-tailed buck a few years ago.

The neat thing about using loose powder in paper cartridges, besides them being more robust, allowing grease cookies and being easier to handle, is you can taylor your powder charges to suit the bullet and load that your gun likes.  For example, I use three different bullets in the Walker, and for some I use 45 grains and for others I use 50 grains of powder.  You don't have that flexibility with the Pyrodex pellets.

Never did I attach a round ball to a pellet.  That would take an extreme amount of the sodium silicate.

For them as don't want to pay the outlandish HAZMAT fee for shipping black powder, the T7 loose powder is pretty good and it ignites well.  I've used a fair number of paper carts made with T7, and they work fine.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)