1858banner

Author Topic: Remington #10 caps loose on Pietta  (Read 269 times)

Offline rio grande

Remington #10 caps loose on Pietta
« on: October 14, 2019, 09:22:47 PM »
Got a brasser "NMA" at a gun show without a cylinder. Ordered a new Pietta cylinder and bought new #10 Remington caps, and they fit too loose, just fall off. A couple years back I had a Pietta NMA and the Rem #10  caps were a perfect fit.
Are CCI #10's a bit smaller?
Any ideas? I really hate to buy new cones.

BTW, the new cylinder from Cabela's fit really well, no problems at all.
"I say as do all Christian men that it is a divine purpose that rules, and not fate."
-King Alfred c. 880 AD

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Remington #10 caps loose on Pietta
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2019, 10:47:16 PM »

Are CCI #10's a bit smaller?

They seem to be for me. On my stock Pietta cones CCI 10's are a tighter fit than Remington 10's.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2019, 09:32:43 PM »
Never had an issue with Piettas and Remington #10s. Is it possible the nipples are not original?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #3 on: October 20, 2019, 12:01:18 PM »
Pinch the caps just a little bit and they will fit without falling off.
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline rio grande

« Reply #4 on: October 21, 2019, 11:18:02 PM »
Never had an issue with Piettas and Remington #10s. Is it possible the nipples are not original?

Oh, they are original. Came with a brand new Pietta replacement cylinder from Cabelas.
Tried for fit some CCI # 10's and they did fit much better. 
Maybe I got a bad batch from Remington.
I'm not too keen on pinching caps. I want 'em to fit right, though I might use those oversize caps at the range for just fooling around.
For serious stuff I want the caps to fit right. I mean when I put those Rem #10's on the nipples they'd just fall off.

Cast some balls over the weekend w/ Lee mold. I am almost ready for the range, almost there. Found a unopened pound of Goex3F at a swap meet for $8 :)

The brasser 8" will do for now, but as soon as I am able I'll trade up to a Pietta steel 5 1/2".  Got the brasser complete minus cylinder at a gun show in Brenham, Texas. BM marked.
Very pleased with the new cylinder, fits and indexes great. Very small cylinder gap. I'll load it light and clean it right.  When I trade/sell it, somebody is gonna get a good one.
"I say as do all Christian men that it is a divine purpose that rules, and not fate."
-King Alfred c. 880 AD

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2019, 04:26:59 AM »
Hello rio grande,

The BM would be from 1999, also at one point Pietta changed the width of the Bolt & Notch.
Make sure your cylinder is tight at full battery, if it can rotate back & forth you might need to install a new Bolt.

Have fun, AntiqueSledMan.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2019, 06:04:31 AM »
Hi rio grande, CCI #10 caps are indeed smaller than most #10 Remington caps. Uberti specifies #11 caps, but both CCI and Remington #10 caps work will. Pietta specifies #10 caps. While I haven't seen this with CCI caps, I have seen where different cans of Remington caps are different size irrespective of the label. I have one can of #10 Remington caps where the caps are too small to put on Pietta nipples. I question Remington caps quality control.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline rio grande

« Reply #7 on: October 23, 2019, 08:13:16 PM »
Hello rio grande,

The BM would be from 1999, also at one point Pietta changed the width of the Bolt & Notch.
Make sure your cylinder is tight at full battery, if it can rotate back & forth you might need to install a new Bolt.

Have fun, AntiqueSledMan.

Uncocked, a little sideways play, cocked, tight as a drum. Guess I'm lucky. I have a stainless cylinder from another Pietta and it fits just as well.
-King Alfred c. 880 AD

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #8 on: October 23, 2019, 09:43:15 PM »
   This isn't pointed at Rio or Antique S.M. "necessarily", just for general consumption .  .  . 

Lockup is the same no matter if the hammer is at rest or full cock.  At full cock, the hand is  in its most upward position against the ratchet, so the "tight" feel is a false indicator. That being the case, the "at rest" lockup will be what you have as soon as the trigger is pulled. Besides, where is the hammer when the charge goes off?  A well tuned S.A. will not have any hand contact at full cock. If there is an action stop installed, there should be basically be the same cylinder movement at full and at rest (which really is the real reason for installing an action stop in the first place, to protect parts and prevent throw-by).

Mike
www.goonsgunworks.com
Follow me on Instagram @ goonsgunworks

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2019, 03:28:39 AM »
Hey Mike,

Thanks for the explanation. I think this could be an issue.
I only mentioned because I purchased a used cylinder which has the narrow notches.
Being unable to lock up, it's been a paper weight ever since.
I suppose one could rework the bolt but I think I'll just hang on to it,
just in case I stumble across an old model in the future.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2019, 01:22:24 PM »
I don't know about Remingtons but Pietta Colts have had about five different hands over the years. I think Pietta changed the bolt width in 2000 when they went to CNC but I'm not sure about that.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2019, 02:34:35 PM »
Hey ASM!  I think you are right, it definitely can be a lockup problem!  Of course you are right, the easiest way would be to "adjust" the bolt .

Mike

Offline Fielder

« Reply #12 on: November 21, 2019, 07:52:42 PM »
I made these notes to myself several years ago when CVA caps (also sold as Dixie Gun Works brand back then) were still being made. I think (not sure) that RWS 1075 are also same thing as CVA/Dixie Gun Works, just branded different. (175 means .175 inches).

PERCUSION CAPS BRAND          INSIDE DIAMETER----LENGTH INSIDE---LENGTH OUTSIDE

CCI #11  OUTSIDE-INSIDE LENGTH IS                  170.5---------------124---------------------------165
LONGER THAN OTHER BRANDS, SO SHOULD      171------------------124---------------------------165
STICK OUT FURTHER AND THEREFORE FIRE      171------------------125---------------------------165
MORE RELIABLY.

REMINGTON # 10  are not round                                171-----------------132-----------------------------167
like the others are, inside diameters vary                     175-----------------132.5--------------------------165
on each cap more than cci                                            174-----------------134-----------------------------161

CVA #11 THESE HAVE RAGGED EDGES AND           165-----------------109----------------------------130
LOOK LIKE DIXIE BRAND CAPS, ALSO ARE MADE 165-----------------116----------------------------145
IN ITALY LIKE DIXIE BRAND CAPS, GREATER         169----------------103-----------------------------135
VARIAITION NOT UNIFORM. BUT THEY ARE
NICE AND SMALL, DIXIE #11 EXACTLY THE SAME

Offline Fielder

« Reply #13 on: November 21, 2019, 08:02:36 PM »
The Remington #10 were not as uniformly perfectly round as the other 2 brands, so harder to give them a size number, it depended where you placed  the caliper. The CVA were perfectly round but varied in size measurements. The CCI were also perfectly round but did not vary in size hardly at all, very uniform.

When I find wider nipples on some strange gun that  I buy, the CVA (RWS) will be more likely to fit because look how short  they are. Therefore they don't push up to the wider part of the nipple but stay backwards on the narrower part of the nipple. Nipples are tapered.
« Last Edit: November 21, 2019, 08:07:49 PM by Fielder »