1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Recovered a pistol-ball from a game animal?  (Read 65 times)

Offline Skillet

Recovered a pistol-ball from a game animal?
« on: October 09, 2019, 05:55:15 PM »
Thinking on using a ROA this deer season. Have a good load worked-up using the Lee REAL conical, but how about the basic roundball? Anyone recovered a pistol ball from a deer/hog etc?

Wondering about expansion at revolver velocities. Wouldn’t mind seeing some pics.

Only killed one deer with a RB, but it was with a .45 rifle and that little ball flattened out into a slug about the size of a penny. Found it under the hide on the exit side.
Shot a few with conicals...

Online Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Recovered a pistol-ball from a game animal?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2019, 10:11:38 PM »
I've dug plenty of them out of dirt with little to no expansion. Never shot a game animal with a pistol. I never recovered a rifle ball from an animal either. I use enough powder to always get an exit wound.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 05:38:05 AM »
I have made a target box with old phone books. When I got ready to recover the lead balls, they where pretty smashed up.

And I was using my really hard lead round balls that I casted.

Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 12:08:33 PM »
For what it is worth I nailed a couple of coyotes with .454 round ball out of my Remmy. One was hit in the chest broadside and the ball took a 90-degree turn and exited from its sternum. The best way I could describe the shape of the ball would be "bent football."

The other one was just almost out of range and I shot it in the back hip. Its buddies tore it to pieces, and by the time I finished my circle with the Bush Hog an hour or two later, and came back around, there wasn't much of it left. I can't tell you what happened to that ball. I think it must have lodged in the bone and been carried off along with the lower third of the coyote.

Coyotes are a bit like pigs; there is no meal they love better than their own kind. The next morning the only evidence a coyote had ever been there was a bloody spot in the grass.