1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Best BP cleaning solution I’ve found in 30 yrs...  (Read 150 times)

necessaryevil and 1 Guest are viewing this topic.

Offline Skillet

Best BP cleaning solution I’ve found in 30 yrs...
« on: October 09, 2019, 04:10:50 PM »
Been shooting BP for some 30 yrs. Been using dish soap, and hot water with a little clear ammonia and thought I was doing pretty good.

Dollar store stopped carrying ammonia, but I found this stuff: “LA’s Totally Awesome” all purpose concentrated cleaner. Used it alone with hot water, and my Remington’s never been cleaner. You’ll see the black sediment left below, and a ring around the sink, afterwards.

Might give it a try. Even that greasy range-hood over the stove that had been collecting bacon splatter for a decade just wiped clean with a sponge.

This is the best stuff I’ve struck yet.

Online necessaryevil

Re: Best BP cleaning solution I’ve found in 30 yrs...
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2019, 03:09:59 AM »
Hi,

Nothing to do with black powder cleaning, but kitchens ?

Best thing I have found so far is cellulose paint thinners. Cheaper you can find the better, pour it onto a wad of paper kitchen and it DESTROYS kitchen grease often with one wipe.

Tops of kitchen cupboards get thick coats of grease on the tops. Cellulose thinners wipes them squeaky clean. Just be careful near painted and plastic appliances. 

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2019, 05:30:29 AM »
That LA Totally Awesome is good stuff.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2019, 10:44:15 AM »
Not arguing here, but I have never had a problem using dish detergent and water. On onother forum, there was a discussion about using dish detergent, some claiming it would remove bore seasoning? If so, then this stuff would also remove the seasoning. Is this detrimental? I don't know; I would think the next time a lubed patch, wad, or ball went down that bore, it would be seasoned again. Time for more knowledgeable folks to chime in.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2019, 12:31:06 PM »
Hi, the claims about a gun oil filling the "pores" of gun metal parts is pure BS. Seasoning a bore? Another BS claim. Season your cast iron dutch ovens, but forget about mild steel in Pietta and Uberti revolvers. Unfortunately, there are many people that believe in fairy dust and magic metal lubes.

Clean your revolvers in soapy hot water, spray with a gun oil like Ballistol and you are good to go.  :9) :9)

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline PaleHawkDown

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2019, 03:15:39 PM »
With all due respect, if you are using hot water and then finishing with oil...you are basically seasoning the barrel:

https://www.wvgazettemail.com/outdoors/seasoning-key-to-muzzleloader-care/article_09aca9a7-258e-501c-a5a3-d153e3363d87.html

It really does make a huge difference in rifles, and it can't hurt with revolvers.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2019, 08:35:27 PM »
HI Lee, sorry, but this statement in your link is pure BS:

"Basically, what you do is to heat the barrel to open the pores in the steel, and then you fill those pores up with lubricant,"

Steel doesn't have pores. It may have inclusions and dislocations, but no pores.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: October 11, 2019, 12:58:34 AM »
I'm with Richard on this. You can't season a steel barrel. All I use to clean my bores is hot soapy water and a bore mop. Pull water up the bore with it three or four times and it shines like a new dime.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Online necessaryevil

« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2019, 01:10:11 PM »
Stainless steel Uberti 1858. Remove the grips, remove the brass trigger guard, pop the cylinder out. Now here comes the most important part.

MAKE SURE THE MISSUS IS OUT !

Put the gun and cylinder in the dishwasher with a tablet. Set it on a normal cycle, switch on and walk away.

Go have lunch or whatever.

Remove it from the dishwasher all warm and as clean as brand new. Lube up the lock work and base pin with lithium grease. Re-assemble, job done.

Yeah I know I am a LAZY S.O.B but hey, I've been doing this since 1997 and it works a treat.

Needless to say a blued gun, don't even think about it !

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2019, 08:06:20 PM »
I'd forget to take the gun out of the machine and get busted that way.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Online necessaryevil

« Reply #10 on: October 13, 2019, 02:20:25 PM »
I'd forget to take the gun out of the machine and get busted that way.

{_K

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: October 13, 2019, 05:42:52 PM »
I think we have John L. Fuhring to thank for originating all the nonsense about not cleaning with water and “seasoning” the bore.   See:  SHOOTING THE BLACK POWDER REVOLVER
© John L. Fuhring   AKA Geojohn.org  In his Epistle the 4th.

After reading Professor Marvels Disquisition on the Joys of Potassium Perchlorate and Guide for the Perplexed I never clean without plenty of water.  I also use a little Dawn dish soap as a “wetting agent”.

Professor Marvel (never guesses, he knows):

https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php?topic=56362.0

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: October 13, 2019, 06:12:36 PM »
I think we have John L. Fuhring to thank for originating all the nonsense about not cleaning with water and “seasoning” the bore.   See:  SHOOTING THE BLACK POWDER REVOLVER
© John L. Fuhring   AKA Geojohn.org  In his Epistle the 4th.

In the immortal words of Bugs Bunny, "what a maroon."
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Online necessaryevil

« Reply #13 on: Today at 07:31:04 AM »
"Thus when shooting pyro, the advised method of cleaning according to my chemist friend is hot water and lots of it! I am sure that vigorous scrubbing with appropriate brushes will help as well, and any way that one can provide further access the better (ie: remove nipples from revolver cylinders, etc) .

hope this helps
yhs
prof marvel"

My first black powder revolver was a Pietta "TARGET MODEL" 1858 in stainless steel. This was in 1997 in England after Tony.B.Liar confiscated our cartridge pistols.

Real BLACK POWDER is classed as an "EXPLOSIVE" in Nanny state England as as such is subject to an EXPLOSIVES licence and special storage conditions.

Pyrodex no such complications, freely sold no special storage conditions just like any other modern powder like Bullsye, Unique etc. So I just used Pyrodex and nothing else.

So as the Good Professor says "the advised method of cleaning according to my chemist friend is hot water and lots of it!"

Hence my preferred method the dishwasher......................I rest my case.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: Today at 11:08:50 AM »
There is no need for vigorous scrubbing or brushes with Pyrodex or real black. I use bore mops. Just a few passes of hot soapy water down a bore will leave it bright and shiny. It's also not necessary to tear a gun down to clean it. All I do is remove the grips, cylinder and trigger guard. Removing the trigger guard really isn't necessary either but it does help facilitate water removal.