1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Uberti vs Pietta  (Read 163 times)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Uberti vs Pietta
« Reply #15 on: October 09, 2019, 01:30:13 PM »
Around 2012/2013 both companies went to CNC for their revolvers, but they went about it in different ways.

Pietta went to CNC in 99 or 2000. I don't know when Uberti did.  I've had a few pre CNC Pietta's and still have one made in 76 that were just as good as the new ones. Better actually because they don't have the obese grips and super tall front sight. At least the ones made in the 70's and early 80's don't

Pietta went to CNC FRAMES in 1999. Parts were still basically hand-shaped to fit, and many parts were from external vendors. In 2013 Pietta installed several million dollars worth of new CNC machinery and began producing all parts in-house.

Beretta went on a cost-cutting spree of their various holdings that was fairly well reported, and the biggest hit were the under-performing companies. The culling at Uberti and move to more automation happened in 2012.

I actually had a very long conversation with Alessandro Pietta about it (as well as cars, families, products, our grandfathers, and a bunch of other things) around 2014 when we were trying to get them to make a few off-menu guns for us.

Gotcha.  8) ])M
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Skillet

Re: Uberti vs Pietta
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2019, 05:27:28 PM »
Late to the palaver.

Never owned a Pietta, went with Uberti because of the dovetailed front sight and made use of it. A little drifting was necessary.

Must say though that the factory gouged the dang rifling right at the crown-end. Din’t see it till it was too late to return it. Wouldn’t hit water if you pitched it out of a canoe.

With some careful needle-file work and polishing it’s shooting straight now. Shot-up pounds of powder and lead before I got it to group. It’s a ‘07 .36 and will print 6 in 2-3” @ 28 yds. But an almighty trial to get it there.
« Last Edit: October 09, 2019, 05:32:23 PM by Skillet »