1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Dustin Winegar's new 1858 Video testing Pyrodex Pellets  (Read 344 times)

Offline Phil97

Dustin Winegar's new 1858 Video testing Pyrodex Pellets
« on: September 02, 2019, 07:26:50 PM »
Dustin Winegar released a new video testing 30gr Pyrodex pellets from a Remington 1858. Most energies were in the 300's but the first shot was in the 500's. He said it was possibly from him overcompressing and crushing the first pellet. I found it quite fascinating. He used .454 balls for this test. I'm willing to bet the average energy would be in the 400's with conicals.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dn9xjnQaff8
« Last Edit: September 03, 2019, 06:56:28 AM by Phil97 »

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
Re: Dustin Winegar's new 1858 Video testing Pyrodex Pellets
« Reply #1 on: September 03, 2019, 12:20:50 PM »
  A forum member, Johnny Roper, would add a 10 grain charge of loose powder to those Pyrodex pellets and really get some impressive velocity out of round balls. I did a little experimenting with those pellets and found ignition to be somewhat inconsistent. Adding the loose powder made ignition consistent for me and really got the conical bullets moving.
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Phil97

« Reply #2 on: September 03, 2019, 02:13:24 PM »
I never heard of that but it sounds like it would be fun to mess with

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #3 on: September 04, 2019, 02:23:50 AM »
  A forum member, Johnny Roper, would add a 10 grain charge of loose powder to those Pyrodex pellets and really get some impressive velocity out of round balls. I did a little experimenting with those pellets and found ignition to be somewhat inconsistent. Adding the loose powder made ignition consistent for me and really got the conical bullets moving.

Yes he did. I also remember him saying he used to crush the pellets in the chambers, Anybody know his whereabouts he's not been on here for a while ?

Offline Phil97

« Reply #4 on: September 04, 2019, 12:48:31 PM »
What was his name on the forum?

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: September 04, 2019, 01:34:19 PM »
Johnny Ropers' screen name is Gunslinger9378.    I believe he called the load he used "the Medical Examiner's Special".   You should be able to search it out easily.

Offline Phil97

« Reply #6 on: September 04, 2019, 01:46:49 PM »
Johnny Ropers' screen name is Gunslinger9378.    I believe he called the load he used "the Medical Examiner's Special".   You should be able to search it out easily.
Thanks!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: September 04, 2019, 10:59:17 PM »
That was one of his better vids, short and no comedy.  Normally, Winegar reminds me of something out of North Hollywood.  Can you imagine him horseback?  Neither can I.  His crony needs calibrating. Johnnie didn't get close to that vid velocity with his MES. No one has.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Phil97

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2019, 09:55:21 AM »
That was one of his better vids, short and no comedy.  Normally, Winegar reminds me of something out of North Hollywood.  Can you imagine him horseback?  Neither can I.  His crony needs calibrating. Johnnie didn't get close to that vid velocity with his MES. No one has.
Correct me if I'm wrong but he used a 5,5' Remington right? Winegar used an 8 incher. The longer barrel gives about 200fps more

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2019, 03:35:12 PM »
Hi Phil - You’re right about the respective barrel lengths used and make a good point about their velocity differentials. 

ssb73q compiled some really good data on an Excel spread sheet:

https://1858remington.com/index.php?topic=6530.0

This data on 5.5” Remington:

http://poconoshooting.com/blackpowderballistics.html

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Phil97

« Reply #10 on: September 05, 2019, 07:27:00 PM »
Hi Phil - You’re right about the respective barrel lengths used and make a good point about their velocity differentials. 

Interesting. So the 30gr pyrodex pellets propelled the round balls to the same velocity as 35 grains of Swiss. That's a lot of power. I also remember someone from a different forum claiming he got 1400+ fps with his own homemade powder. He has a video of himself shooting a conical out of an 1858 with his homemade powder and the recoil looks like it could put a 44 Mag to shame:

Offline Centurion

« Reply #11 on: September 06, 2019, 08:55:20 AM »

Interesting. So the 30gr pyrodex pellets propelled the round balls to the same velocity as 35 grains of Swiss. That's a lot of power. I also remember someone from a different forum claiming he got 1400+ fps with his own homemade powder. He has a video of himself shooting a conical out of an 1858 with his homemade powder and the recoil looks like it could put a 44 Mag to shame:

That was me! I obtained 1400 fps with RB and about 1100 fps with Lee 200 grns conicals thru my NMA with my homemade powder highly compressed. Recoil was far stronger than a 357 magnum and even over a 44 magnum. Really scared me about blowing the gun. But after that test I try to keep my shots on the 1200 fps range with RBs.

Offline Phil97

« Reply #12 on: September 06, 2019, 04:24:18 PM »

That was me! I obtained 1400 fps with RB and about 1100 fps with Lee 200 grns conicals thru my NMA with my homemade powder highly compressed. Recoil was far stronger than a 357 magnum and even over a 44 magnum. Really scared me about blowing the gun. But after that test I try to keep my shots on the 1200 fps range with RBs.
Maybe one day you can share your bp recipe with all of us. I was really impressed. It stuck with me  ])M
« Last Edit: September 06, 2019, 04:42:54 PM by Phil97 »

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2019, 02:57:12 PM »
  A forum member, Johnny Roper .......................................
..... Anybody know his whereabouts he's not been on here for a while ?
Johnnie used to live in AZ. Then went up and stayed with DD4 in WY for a while, in about 2015 - 2016. Then went back to AZ. Got a job as a guardian of some warehouse. I spoke to him over the phone in 2017, then he disappeared off the radar screen. He had some internet/computer trouble from time to time. I recon he is 85 yrs by now.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2019, 05:46:59 PM »
I remember when I used the 30gr Pyrodex Pellets that they were a bit more stronger than loose powder. After shooting them I didn't see any need to add the extra 10grs of black powder like Johnnie did. I would think that you might use 5grs under the pellets if you were going to leave the gun loaded for a while. I would think that would help make sure the gun would go off say after a years time. I'm not so sure people are leaving these guns loaded like that anymore, then again I may be just as wrong as can be about that. (^h
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.