1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Grease groooves in the 1858 Remington is?  (Read 213 times)

Offline oldracer

• Retired Navy nuclear machinist
Grease groooves in the 1858 Remington is?
« on: August 28, 2019, 07:05:12 AM »
My mentor has shoot B/P for nearly 60 years and I asked him about my pin jamming up and also the cylinder getting super hard after 4 shots or so. He said his Remington's (ASM) had several grooves in the pin to hold hi temp grease. Mine have none. He also said at least .006 free play in the cylinder/barrel joint so the hand won't push the cylinder against  the forcing cone. Mine have .003. What do you think?

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
Re: Grease groooves in the 1858 Remington is?
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2019, 11:44:47 AM »
That's been a much tossed around subject in past forum posts. Lubrication could be the best course of action before resorting to mechanical alterations of the gun. Some white lithium grease on the cylinder pin might be the first thing to try. Also softening the powder fowling by using a good lube on the bullet could be the only fix you'll need. The most effective place for it is under the bullet and a lot of folks here accomplish that with a "grease pill". As you mentioned it sure doesn't hurt if the cylinder isn't dragging on the barrel face as it rotates, but most 1858's come set-up from the factory like that. Be aware that increasing the cylinder gap has the effect of only increasing fowling since more gas can blow through the gap. You only need about .002".
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Pustic

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Proud American Hillbilly Infidel & Facebook Felon
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2019, 12:51:29 PM »
Another thing that will help is using fake black powder. I use 777 with no problem at all.  :9)
{?( Be ye not afraid of the truth, for the "Truth Has No Agenda".  :9)
"If they come to take, they also come to die." Pustic 4:20

A well regulated Militia, being necessary to the security of a free State, the right of the people to keep and bear Arms, shall not be infringed.

Concealed carry, where you HIDE the exercise of your right to carry arms.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2019, 03:47:15 PM »
I know the good Captain here likes the lithium grease. I have some but haven't tried it yet. I have a tube of Mobil 1 Synthetic grease that I use and it will last a lifetime!

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2019, 03:55:36 PM »
I know the good Captain here likes the lithium grease. I have some but haven't tried it yet. I have a tube of Mobil 1 Synthetic grease that I use and it will last a lifetime!

I use the Mobile 1 grease too. Works great!
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2019, 02:57:37 AM »
Lithium grease works just fine on my Uberti .44 Remington, because it is a non petroleum grease.

I also have a spray can of olive oil normally intended for cooking but if things start to bind a little after a lot more than four shots a spray of olive oil frees it up. Great too for wiping the gun down before heading home as well.
« Last Edit: August 29, 2019, 11:19:18 AM by necessaryevil »

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2019, 07:02:10 AM »
My mentor has shoot B/P for nearly 60 years and I asked him about my pin jamming up and also the cylinder getting super hard after 4 shots or so. He said his Remington's (ASM) had several grooves in the pin to hold hi temp grease. Mine have none. He also said at least .006 free play in the cylinder/barrel joint so the hand won't push the cylinder against  the forcing cone. Mine have .003. What do you think?

I had similar issues and my mentor referred me to this modification which I have done on both my Uberti and Pietta 1858 Remmie's. I load the grooves with bore butter when I go to the range no more jamming.

Check out this video for the details

Regards
Retreever
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2019, 03:55:01 PM »
Did ASM cut grease groves for Remingtons at the factory or is the one referenced a modification?

Many here have cut groves and enthusiastically recommend the mod.  I use three Pietta Rems without groves in the cylinder pin and can get 80-90 full load shots using some lithium grease (Lubriplate AA in my case) on the pin / arbor and Gatafeo numbah-one variant under the ball or conical.  Using that method some members get up to 100 shots before perceived bind-up.

After six or seven full cylinders I’ll normally wipe off the pin, swab the bore and reapply grease.  A guy can shoot all day doing that.

When I first started this sport, as a teen, I actually put oil (!) on the arbor of my repro Colt.  It didn’t take very long to realize that that was all wrong.   ::)
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2019, 08:52:29 PM »
   A radial groove (on the pin) at the cyl face and a matching one about a 1/4" to the rear, with 3 or 4 linear grooves linking them (slanted left to right).  The circumference of the pin reduced a few thousandths from the second ring to about 3/4"-1" from the end of the pin. This seems to work rather well. Customer's seem to like it.

The front groove allows fouling to bypass the intersection of the cyl pin bore and the pin. Fouling that does get into the linear grooves gets "persuaded" towards the reduced area of the pin as the cylinder rotates. That's how I do it.

Mike