1858banner

Author Topic: bad grouping  (Read 551 times)

Offline Fred78

• Blackpowder shooter for 58 years
bad grouping
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »
I finally got to shoot my rem 44 five and a half in barrel disgusting shoots low left with 22 grains and even worse with 30 at 15 yards. It is a cabelas revolver the ball cut a  nice ring and I used a tower of power any suggestions

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: bad grouping
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Hi Fred -

Whelp, some Pietta Remingtons are noted for shooting a little low.  That tall front sight seems to be an invitation for a little judicious filing (slowly, carefully).  Many members here have done that to raise the POI.

Were you shooting one hand, two hand unsupported or from a bench rest? 

Like many here I also have a Pietta 5.5" and it sure am fine.  You'll get hooked on yours, bechya.

Welcome to the forum.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Fred78

• Blackpowder shooter for 58 years
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
Cabelas solved my problem they are replacing the revolver

Offline oldracer

• Retired Navy nuclear machinist
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »

Offline Hylander

« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2019, 11:35:50 AM »
Glad Cabelas is replacing the pistol for you, they have a new policy that states they won't
do any returns on them.
I have had several now and everyone has shot small groups right out of the box.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2019, 05:53:16 PM »
There is no expectation that a new gun will shoot to point of aim unless it is a custom gun that the maker has sighted in for you, using your preferred loading.  You can get that starting at around three thousand dollars.  AND EVEN THEN, your individual hold will likely change the point of impact relative to point of aim, as compared to some other shooter of equal or greater competence.  The assumption should always be that some carful sight adjustments will need to be made, for your individual hold and your individual load(s).

Also, you've said nothing about the group size.  An "accurate gun" (assuming a competent shooter) will shoot small groups, regardless of whether or not the group is centered over the point of aim.  And so, knowing no more than what you've told us, you may have sent back a more accurate, but not yet sighted in, gun for a less accurate one that happens to shoot closer to point of aim.

Also, a beginning shooter, or a rusty shooter, will tend to shoot low and left if he's right-handed, and low and right if he's left-handed, due to "anticipation" or "flinch" (pulling the shots off target).

I once had a guy at our range ask me to diagnose his pistol.  It was his first pistol and he'd just gotten it to the range for the first time.  It had adjustable sights, and he'd adjusted his rear sight as far up and as far to the right as the adjustments would go, and he was still hitting low and left.  I tried it, and in fact it shot extremely high and to the right...  OOPS!  What to do then?  Send it back to the factory?  Or learn to shoot first, and then learn to sight in a pistol?
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)