1858 remington forum

Author Topic: bad grouping  (Read 143 times)

Offline Fred78

• Blackpowder shooter for 58 years
bad grouping
« on: August 16, 2019, 04:30:50 PM »
I finally got to shoot my rem 44 five and a half in barrel disgusting shoots low left with 22 grains and even worse with 30 at 15 yards. It is a cabelas revolver the ball cut a  nice ring and I used a tower of power any suggestions

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: bad grouping
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2019, 05:16:38 PM »
Hi Fred -

Whelp, some Pietta Remingtons are noted for shooting a little low.  That tall front sight seems to be an invitation for a little judicious filing (slowly, carefully).  Many members here have done that to raise the POI.

Were you shooting one hand, two hand unsupported or from a bench rest? 

Like many here I also have a Pietta 5.5" and it sure am fine.  You'll get hooked on yours, bechya.

Welcome to the forum.

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Fred78

• Blackpowder shooter for 58 years
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2019, 03:20:57 PM »
Cabelas solved my problem they are replacing the revolver

Offline oldracer

• Retired Navy nuclear machinist
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2019, 09:03:54 AM »
You might want to read my post that covers the things I had to try to get my revolvers to shoot well. As I found out at our pistol match several people just bought the gun, used BP substitute, pressed in a round ball. They were even worse than I was and blamed it on the gun. If the new gun shoots great then I am happy for you for sure, but...…
John