1858banner

Author Topic: 1858  (Read 320 times)

Offline Gabby

« on: July 12, 2019, 06:04:00 AM »
A while back I acquired a nice looking 1858
marked  on the left side of the barrel, ".36 cal new model navy", and on the right side
"for black powder only".
Someone has stripped it down and plumb browned it trying to make it look antique.
They also sanded almost all of the makers mark from the top of the barrel.
It has a brass trigger guard.
I can make out some of it but not quite enough to read it.
Did pretty good after all with my trusty magnifying glass.
Here is what I can make out. "Euroarms Brescia made in Italy"
There are some proof? inspection? stamps on the right side of the frame. One looks like a  5 point star over what looks like crossed canon barrels in a shield or box, then next to that is another 5 point  star over the letters PN. Just in front of that is three X's in a row left to right.
the next 2 stamps are inside the curved  place in front of the cylinder on the frame and it's the same marks already described not including the X's.
I think at some time someone changed either the cylinder or the hammer as the hammer doesn't engage the cuts between the chambers designed to make the gun safe and keep the hammer off the caps, and lock the cylinder from turning. I'd appreciate any information especially from someone who has one of these guns.
I've noticed that the gun feels as though it was made for someone with small hands, and wonder if all the 36cal guns are like that? Does anyone know where I can find the correct hammer for it.
Thanks in advance,
Gabby
BTW it's a PITA having to jump thru the verification hoops every time I want to post something, I've never had to do that on any of the other forums I'm on!
« Last Edit: July 12, 2019, 06:09:37 AM by Gabby »

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: 1858
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2019, 08:42:08 AM »
Log on to the forum and book mark the index page or save as a favorite, then clear your browser cache. You should not have to answer any more questions.

Your gun is a Euroarms Navy. the XXX date code signifies 1974 manufacture. The PN and star markings are the Italian BP proof markings.
Yes, the frames on the early Navy replicas were smaller than the Army versions, late model Pietta Navy guns use the same frame and cylinder, not true to the original Remington Navy guns. Yours is. (T^
The hammer issue is quite common. Euroarms parts are NLA so bet bet would be to lightly file the hammer until it fits in the slots, or if you're really good with a Dremel you can widen the cylinder slots. This is also a very common issue with a lot of Remington repros.
Sounds like a nice piece. Looking forward to pix.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Gabby

Re: 1858
« Reply #2 on: January 09, 2020, 08:05:21 PM »
Hey Cap, sorry it's so long since you posted here, but I felt I should reply with a THANK YOU for your nice message,
so THANK YOU!  LOL  :-[
You're a Peach!  ?o(
Gabby