1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Different size nipples on my Piettas?  (Read 237 times)

Offline oldracer

• Retired Navy nuclear machinist
Different size nipples on my Piettas?
« on: July 11, 2019, 03:12:30 PM »
I bought two of the Pietta 1858 Remington Bison models with the 12 inch barrels. I also have a pair if ASM with the shorter barrels and all shoot very good. Yesterday I practiced with the two bison models and also a spare cylinder I bought  few months ago. Usually I clean one gun at a time with includes one cylinder at a time but yesterday I pulled the cylinders and then nipples from both guns and the spare cylinder too. I kept the cylinder with each associated gun and the spare separate. After cleaning the cylinders then nipples, including brushing the threads I went to reinstall the nipples (with 1800 degree anti seize on the threads) the first nipple did not go in? Soooooo I looked closely at each nipples and there are 6 with slightly larger diameter threads than the other 12. I checked the thread diameter and the large ones are 0.229 inches or 5.8166MM diameter and smaller ones are 0.212 inches or 5.3848MM diameter. The larger ones are in one of the Pietta's the smaller ones are in the other and the spare cylinder?

Note that I use #10 CCI caps on all 3 cylinders with no issues.

I searched and did not find these same sizes any where although I may have been searching wrong? Has anyone seen this and what nipple comes standard in the Pietta's if anyone knows? Thanks for the help.
John
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 03:17:37 PM by oldracer »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Different size nipples on my Piettas?
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2019, 04:50:30 PM »
Here's a bit of information on Pietta, Uberti, and few other nipple thread sizes;
http://possibleshop.com/s-s-nipples-cb.html

One should have a pitch gague for metric and another for S.A.E, and a caliper, and together one can determine both diameter and pitch for most any thread.  Understand that actual, major thread diameters, as measured, will be slightly under the "official" size, e.g. a "6mm" screw male thread diameter will measaure slightly less than 6mm, for clearence purposes-- Male threads usually do not come to an infinitesimal, sharp point.  Pitch gagues only cost a few dollars and are available at most any hardware store.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline oldracer

« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2019, 07:25:08 PM »
I should have mentioned I checked the threads by holding the large and small nipple together and the threads meshed exactly. I have a couple thread gauges but after that I figured the actual number of threads per inch didn't matter? Maybe the larger ones are an "oversize" which I saw on a couple websites?

I should have mentioned the date code also, the larger nipples are code "AT" for 1988 and regular nipples are "CT" for 2018 and the newer one was sold "as new" and it appeared that way. The older one has a slightly different frame with a full length groove in front of the rear sight and several dimples in the bottom of the frame in the grip area. Maybe that was what they were doing back then?

John
« Last Edit: July 11, 2019, 09:02:40 PM by oldracer »

Offline oldracer

Re: Different size nipples on my Piettas? Update
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2019, 09:36:07 PM »
I did finally check the threads on all the nipples of each size and all are .75 metric fine thread. I posted this issue on another site and one of the shooters pulled a nipple made in the same year as my new Pietta and it has the same size. He also pulled a nipple from a pair of Piettas that are a couple years older than mine and they too had the same size as my older ones. That smaller size is what is labeled as 5.5MM it seems according to a couple of suppliers. I think I will use these with #10 caps as they fit well until replacement is needed then go with the standard 6 x .75 metric ones as long as they fit.
John

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2019, 11:59:43 AM »
So, the thread pitch is the same on all the nipples, but the major diameter is different?