1858banner

Author Topic: Purpleheart Loading stand  (Read 1257 times)

Offline Vic

Purpleheart Loading stand
« on: June 14, 2019, 05:02:21 PM »
 I made a loading stand for my Uberti 1858 Remington New Army black power pistol out of
Purpleheart wood. I machined pockets for the 100 tin of caps, a straight line capper and nipple wrench. Used a solid brass precision hinge so it can be closed and latched, like a carrying case for the three items. I sunk some rare earth magnets in the bottom of the upright and in the base and covered the magnets with .030 thick brass. The upright locks up tight when open. In the back is a round pocket for the powder flask and a bigger round pocket to hold lead balls.
I’m really happy with the wood, it is very dense, hard, and heavy (it weighs almost 4lbs). It was a challenge to machine, but as long as you use sharp cutters and run them slow and feed them slow it cuts good. Too fast and it burns and it’s tough to sand out the burn marks, something to do with the resin in the wood.
Would be cool to sink a pocket in the upright wall and mount a 1/8 thick piece of brass with the Gadsden flag laser etched into it.
Anyone know of a place that does that kind of etching?
Finished it with 3 coats of linseed oil.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Purpleheart Loading stand
« Reply #1 on: June 14, 2019, 05:10:30 PM »
Nice design and great workmanship!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: June 14, 2019, 10:04:45 PM »
It almost looks to purdy to use, more like a display stand. Nice work! (T^
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2019, 07:10:30 AM »
Very nice,  better than most I've seen.     If you are experienced with Purple Heart you already know but if not....    the purple color will fade to brown quickly without UV protection.    Linseed oil won't keep it from changing colors.   Polyurethane with UV block or Spar-Var will help keep the nice color of the wood.

Offline Vic

« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 06:49:09 AM »
Hi guys, thanks for the kind words.
Yeah mike this is the first time working with Purple Heart. I did a lot of reading about this and like you said UV is what will eventually turn it to a deep purple brown almost black. They say in the state it’s in now (purple) will last unprotected  for five to ten years.
I do not want to use spar varnish or polyurethane. I wanted an oil finish because to me that type of finish looks best, more (natural). It’s easy to rejuvenate or touch up at anytime.
I did come across a wood workers blog and he had pictures of a beautiful table he made out of Purple Heart. He also was talking about the wood darkening in time. But he stated that the table is 35 years old now and is still very purple. He said he finished it with tung oil and waxes it from time to time with a wax/polish with a UV blocker in it. So I figured I would try that route.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: June 16, 2019, 02:09:25 PM »
Hey, that looks great!  I've never had a use for a loading stand, but as a fellow craftsman I can recognize good work when I see it.  Your finish work looks very nice also.

I make some of my paper cartridge case rolling mandrels out of that same wood, but leave it bare so as it has a slight amount of “grab” to it.  I’ve found that a slick surface makes the rolling process a little more difficult.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Dave Shooter

« Reply #6 on: June 16, 2019, 04:28:56 PM »
Friend of ours has a laser.  Don't know if she's done brass or not.
Sample of her work:

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2019, 09:01:15 AM »
Looks great, Vic. Almost too nice to use. Almost... ;)
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2019, 01:28:28 PM »
 ])M  WOW, great design and superb execution.  You are a talented woodworker.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Vic

« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2019, 04:47:07 PM »
LOL, pistols ain’t no good if you don’t shoot’em and loading stands ain’t no good If ya don’t use them.

Dave that plaque looks good, but I think a wood cutting laser won’t work on brass, but I’m not sure.

It would be the icing on the cake if I could get the Gadsden flag etched on a piece 1/8 brass that I would supply. Then I’d sink a pocket into the upright and mount it flush to the wood. So when you open the stand you’d see it.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: June 17, 2019, 07:07:47 PM »
That's great work. I like it Vic.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Vic

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2019, 07:07:41 AM »
Well I found a place to etch my piece of brass.
They did an excellent job.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2019, 09:17:08 AM »
That's a perfect place! Looks great!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Retreever

• Life is too short to hunt with an ugly dog!
« Reply #13 on: July 30, 2019, 05:38:34 AM »
All I say is wow very nice
Management and Ops consulting pro providing tactical sales and business solutions. Gundog Trainer, Power Lifter Wannabe