1858 remington forum

Author Topic: .45Colt (LC) Reloaded Too Long  (Read 2814 times)

Offline necessaryevil

Re: .45Colt (LC) Reloaded Too Long
« Reply #75 on: July 20, 2019, 07:27:53 AM »
Those look like long nosed semi wadcutters intended for use in .45acp. I'd load up what you have left and then get some of those coated ones which are designed for ,45 Colt.

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
Re: UPDATE Re: .45Colt (LC) Reloaded Too Long
« Reply #76 on: July 20, 2019, 09:43:30 AM »
So as I previously indicated I have disassembled all the 'too long' cartridges and based on comments from a few others  I am looking at re-using the bullets to reload. In addition I have acquired another 100+ bullets of the same type at no cost.

Yesterday I experimented with loading this bullet in a .45 Colt cartridge making sure not to exceed the max. overall length of 1.60 inches.

The attached pics show the result, is there any reason why these reloads would NOT be ok to shoot?

Thanks, Retreever

Hi Retreever, while the SAAMI spec for .45 Colt is 1.60", I reload all my .45 Colt to have a COL of 1.550". That length fits in all currently available conversion cylinders. I also shoot them in my modern .45 Colt firearms with no loss of accuracy. I load all my .45 Colt to have the velocity less than 850fps to be safe in conversion cylinders and replica BP revolvers. The load I use is 250gr Laser Cast bullets with 4.7gr Nobel Sport Vectan BA-10 powder.

https://www.grafs.com/uploads/technical-resource-pdf-file/20.pdf

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!