1858 remington forum

Author Topic: DD4lifeusmc (update)  (Read 1610 times)

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: DD4lifeusmc (update)
« Reply #30 on: September 11, 2019, 12:08:21 PM »
FINAL UPDATE

I found out today what I had suspected for some time.    DD4lifeusmc  passed away on July 23rd.   The executor of his Estate was supposed to let me know but failed to call me.  I tried to call him several times but did not get a hold of him until today.   He has a lot to deal with and calling me was not high on his priority list. 

Most people who dealt with DD on the gun forums never even knew his real name,  he was very private and protected his personal information vigorously.   I can say now that his name was Steve and that he left behind a legacy of generosity.     All of his leatherworking tools and equipment (a substantial amount) were donated to the Boys Home in Torrington Wyoming.   The rest of his Estate is being sold and all the proceeds are donated to the Wyoming "Toys for Tots" program that he devoted a lot of time and energy to.   The "Toys for Tots" program is a favorite charity of both the USMC and many "biker" organizations.   Steve's contribution to them will be substantial and will help out many children who would have nothing otherwise.

Offline 45 Dragoon

« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2019, 01:24:47 PM »
Wow, what a nice guy!!  Thanks Mike!!

Mike

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #32 on: September 11, 2019, 04:38:39 PM »
I was hoping for happier news, but expecting the worst. It is not unexpected that DD would donate his equipment and estate proceeds to help the under-privileged. He will be (IS!) missed!

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #33 on: September 11, 2019, 05:26:55 PM »
A sad thing indeed.
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #34 on: September 11, 2019, 05:32:40 PM »
Damn I hate to hear that. He was a good man and will be missed.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #35 on: September 11, 2019, 07:23:14 PM »
So sorry to hear this news, I bought quite a number of items from him over the years and he helped me load my video on this site. DD4lifeusmc will be greatly missed on this forum and others he was on. One really nice gentleman who gave all of us a fair deal when we purchased items from him.  And what a great thing for him to donate his estate to worthy causes.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2019, 04:23:59 AM »
Thank you Mike for the update.

Steve was incredibly generous in life, it is fitting that his generosity continues as his legacy.
Whether he knew it or not, he lived the concept of the Native American "Give-away"
That would be his last and biggest Give-Away.

I am proud to say I have one of his "last" personal Remington NMA revolvers, internals packed with grease (his personal style), and a photo
of the tight group he shot on a coffee can. This revolver is as smooth as a colt 1873 SAA.

I will make a point to get my butt out to the canyon this weekend to send up tobacco in his name and "make smoke" with that revolver.

From what we know of him on the forum, I can say he lived life on his terms and passed over on his terms.

My Lakotah brothers have taught me that when a person "passes over" , We who are left grieve because we will miss them;
But they are not gone , they are just continuing their journey .

Mitákuye Oyás'iŋ (We are All Related)

Yours In Grief
Prof & Mrs. Marvel

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2019, 10:44:41 AM »
Thanks for the update Mike.  Kneemail up for Steve.  He was a generous man and will be sorely missed.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2019, 11:50:01 AM »
This is just so sad, although he warned us what was in his in-tray.
He will leave a big gap.
He was known to us as DD4, but also had an address alias as CC Mountainman in Brundage.
Me and my wife were lucky enough to visit with Steve in Cheyenne in 2016, while he was still going strong, although his voice was affected, sounded a bit like a harsh Lois Armstrong.
He took care of us for two days, showing us around interesting places. We also met briefly with the guy who is now the executor of Steve’s will (he’s a fellow Marine and at least as much a clam as Steve was). We hanged out two evenings at Steve’s Veteran Club, where he was a driving force. One of Steve’s parade uniforms is exhibited in that club.
Steve had a really tough life, not only as a Nam guy, but also on a personal and family level, so it is amazing how he could have been so caring and generous.
Steve was a very, very good man.
He probably didn’t ride into the sunset. More likely into the sunrise.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2019, 12:04:50 PM »
Very sad news.
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline ssb73q

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Gunsmoke junkie
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2019, 01:04:25 PM »
Hi Mike, thank you for the update. DD was a fixture here and will be sorely missed by all.

Regards,
Richard
There’s nothing better in the morning than the smell of bacon and black powder smoke!

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #41 on: September 13, 2019, 05:43:51 AM »
I will miss him.
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Desperate Lee

• American by birth, Texan by the grace of GOD
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2019, 07:59:00 AM »
I am younger to this forum than most of you guys, but it is sad when a fellow shooting enthusiast and a fellow USMC veteran pass away. Vietnam is still killing but we who survive pray for those that done.
DL
SEMPER FI
"Life is tough, but it's tougher when your stupid." John Wayne

Marine Corps League #1452 Ellis County Texas
NRA Life Member since 1988
Knights of Columbus 3rd Degree

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2019, 10:03:52 AM »
Thanks for the update, sad news indeed.
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2019, 01:20:17 PM »
I’m not aware of having actually met DD but it could have happened.  For awhile we lived only about four or five miles from one another. In the early/mid 1970’s he was at Marine Corps Base Camp Pendleton  and I was holding down a place in San Clemente.  In those days as a young thug GS-10 I had occasion to visit Pendleton sometimes and even used one of their pistol ranges (We were the ones with long hair, the jars called us spooks and DOJ got billed for the ammo). I like to think we may have passed one another on the grounds there or in some on-base hallway and nodded and said good morning.  That’s a hope and thought on my mind just now. 

I placed a few orders with DD (including pounds tons of conical 45-190S’s) and he was ever fair and square and sold full measure with some lagniappe always kicked in to boot. 

Friend Professor said a good thing and that maybe DD isn’t really gone but has only just taken up his next appointed posting on the journey.  Maybe we’ll meet up yet.  Maybe we all will. 

"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)