1858banner

Author Topic: "Howdah, Pardner!" Walker repro conversion...  (Read 781 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

"Howdah, Pardner!" Walker repro conversion...
« on: March 16, 2019, 10:01:56 PM »
For those not familiar with the term, a 'Howdah' is a platform on the back of an elephant, and the well-heeled used to hunt tigers and other dangerous game from them.  Occasionally a critter, understandably cross with the hunters, would decide to join them in the Howdah. In the close quarters a rifle was unwieldy, so hunters adopted what were known as 'Howdah Pistols.'  these large-caliber weapons came in calibers ranging from .45 to 12-bore, and were most often double-barrelled.  A few years back I wondered, "What would a 19th Century American carry as a Howdah Pistol?"  Well, a revolver of course- and the most powerful available was the Colt-Walker. This was designed to fire a 210gr. Pickett Bullet over a charge of 60gr. of Black Powder. For comparison .45 Colt used a 250gr. bullet over 40 gr. of BP.

Since it was me it would need to be a cartridge conversion, of course. Kirst makes a .45 Colt cylinder-conversion for the Walker repros, but it seemed to me given the original loading there ought to be a more powerful cartridge than .45 Colt for this.  I was shortly told that I was not the first to envision a cartridge specifically for Walker conversions; .45BPM, .450-225-60, .45 Walker... it's been done a few times, generally using a Kirst cylinder bored out for the longer cartridge.  I was doing my own conversion on a Armi-San Marcos cylinder, and decided to go my own way. Since I was already making 200gr. heel-base bullets for .44 Colt I decided to do a straight-walled heel-base bullet. I based the casing on .303 British, cut at the shoulder and expanded to accept the .430" heel-base of the .451 diameter bullet.  The new casing would comfortably hold 55gr (by volume) of FFFG black powder under my heel-base bullet. This was, in effect, a 'stretched' .44 Colt. Following the naming conventions of the period I named the cartridge .44-55 Walker.  I originally loaded the cartridge with Trail Boss, and from my gun this was sending the 200gr. bullet downrange at 1150-1200fps for around 600ft./lbs. of energy.

I turned down the base of the ASM cylinder around the sprocket, bored the chambers through and reamed them to .454". I made a breech-ring with a loading-port and a rebounding firing-pin, which is mounted to the frame with screws.  The gun needed to be handy for it's intended use, and the 4-1/2lb. gun was definitely not that! I bobbed the barrel to 3-1/2", and though the gun still weighs 3-1/2lbs. it's much easier to maneuver. I fitted and refinished the grips, then stripped and rust-blued the barrel and cylinder. I mounted a front site and dubbed the result 'Thumper.'

It's a hoot to shoot with either Trail Boss or Black Powder. There's a definite jolt when it goes off, but the gun's weight takes any sting out of it. I now make the brass from annealed and resized .460 S&W brass; much easier than expending and resizing .303.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: "Howdah, Pardner!" Walker repro conversion...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 11:21:01 PM »
Very cool!  I like the monicker, 44-55 Walker too (no decimal point is needed because the number already indicates hundredths of an inch).  Have you chrono'ed it since the barrel was cut down?
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Tinker Pearce

Re: "Howdah, Pardner!" Walker repro conversion...
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2019, 12:26:46 AM »
Very cool!  I like the monicker, 44-55 Walker too (no decimal point is needed because the number already indicates hundredths of an inch).  Have you chrono'ed it since the barrel was cut down?

No, I had to extrapolate from data using similar cartridges in full-length guns. Penetration in kiln-dried Douglas Fir is comparable to a .44 Magnum 200gr LSWC load that makes 1200-1250fps. out of a 4" gun. Until I chrono it I'm just guessing, of course, but it's a reasonable guess.