1858banner

Author Topic: Avenging Angel? Not quite...  (Read 1177 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

Avenging Angel? Not quite...
« on: March 16, 2019, 12:31:44 AM »
Yes, it's a cartridge conversion, but it's a Colt repro so I figured it went best here.

I bought a rough 1849 Pocket and decided it needed to be a .22. I drilled, lined and reamed the cylinders then used a section of barrel-liner in the shortened barrel. The breech-plate holds a rebounding firing-pin.  I thinned the base of the grips to be flatter and styled the cut barrel after an 'Avenging Angel.' When I showed it to my wife and told her that she snorted and said, "Avenging Angel? More like an irritable cherub! Ever since it has been known as 'The Cherub.'  It shoots low and left but holds good groups; I'll correct the sights soon. 

Over the winter I made the box and accessories, which include a cleaning rod, an ejector rod and a screwdriver. The space by the hammer now holds cleaning patches. Fun little gun to shoot!

Offline Rimfireplinker

Re: Avenging Angel? Not quite...
« Reply #1 on: March 16, 2019, 01:43:07 PM »
 That is awesome . I like the .22 conversion .

Offline sourdough

« Reply #2 on: March 16, 2019, 05:26:51 PM »
So do I!

Offline Shootemup

« Reply #3 on: March 16, 2019, 08:18:51 PM »
Very nice Tinker!! What about the other side, loading gate, loading channel or do you have to remove the cylinder? Did you recess the rims it doesn't look like it as I see a gap between the plate and cylinder.

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #4 on: March 16, 2019, 08:49:36 PM »
Very nice Tinker!! What about the other side, loading gate, loading channel or do you have to remove the cylinder? Did you recess the rims it doesn't look like it as I see a gap between the plate and cylinder.

Here's the other side. As you can see there is a loading port, but no gate. I have yet to do a gated conversion, so all of my home-grown conversions don't have one. I do have two conversions that use Kirst gated conversions though.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 03, 2020, 02:35:46 PM »
Oh!
Racing approves!  ])M
DVC - 2020

Offline BOOMSTICK BRUCE

• I said I never had much use for a rifle, never said I couldn't use it...
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • SASS #105711
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2020, 12:34:05 PM »

Here's the other side. As you can see there is a loading port, but no gate. I have yet to do a gated conversion, so all of my home-grown conversions don't have one. I do have two conversions that use Kirst gated conversions though.

NICE!!!!one of these days im going to do a gated conversion to my snubby walker...
l
l _______
 /l ,[____],
l---L -OlllllllO-
()_) ()_)-o--)_)
JEEP OWNER!

2018 SASS WV Wrangler Champion
2019 SASS WV Duelist champion

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #7 on: March 07, 2020, 02:53:39 AM »
Ah My Dear Tinker -

Excellent Work!
The early ancestor of the Noisy Cricket!
I showed this to Mrs Marvel and she not only approves of the Irritable Cherub, but wants one!

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions