1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Colt Navy .36 ORIGINAL  (Read 5708 times)

Offline necessaryevil

Re: Colt Navy .36 ORIGINAL
« Reply #45 on: April 06, 2019, 07:18:53 AM »
Yeah, but I don't think Kroil is available in Europe ?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #46 on: April 06, 2019, 07:57:54 AM »
Then try a 50/50 mix of acetone and transmission fluid.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline LonesomePigeon

« Reply #47 on: April 06, 2019, 10:23:05 AM »
Lodgewood sells replacement parts for the original Colt 1851 Navy, including nipples and cylinders. The nipples come in two types, one for #9 caps and one for #11 caps. The cylinders are plain with no engraving.

http://www.lodgewood.com/Colt-1851-Navy_c_58.html

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #48 on: April 06, 2019, 01:10:40 PM »
Thanks for that, yeah Lodgewood I have seen them the perfect solution for me but they won't ship to Spain.  Numrich in NY has ORIGINAL cylinders as well but neither will they  ^y%

Offline drobs

« Reply #49 on: April 07, 2019, 12:20:36 AM »
Thanks for that, yeah Lodgewood I have seen them the perfect solution for me but they won't ship to Spain.  Numrich in NY has ORIGINAL cylinders as well but neither will they  ^y%

I bet one of our fine members here would ship it to you.
NRA Life Member

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #50 on: April 07, 2019, 04:34:33 AM »
Drobs, I have no doubt that some fine gentleman one of our contributors would oblige me ? Question is dare I risk Spanish customs ?

Here's the video, have a look. At 3.36 he does the swap.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #51 on: April 07, 2019, 10:38:22 AM »
I bet one of our fine members here would ship it to you.
You're darn right. One of our eminent members shipped me an original 1858 Remi cylinder, via some mysterious roads. So, it can be achieved. "Never lose hope, my son"

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #52 on: April 07, 2019, 10:56:29 AM »
Len

The problem I have is that these are controlled parts in Spain even though they are "antiques"...............They have to go on my licence and I have no idea what sort of bureaucratic import papers are involved to import from America legally ?

However not so in nanny state England. These 19th century revolvers AND their parts are NOT subject to licencing in England. They have the same status as owning a screwdriver !

But they are here in Spain...............Here I can have an AR15 and Glocks, but not in the U.K...........Go figure  ???

Numrich parts corporation in NY has used ORIGINAL Colt Navy cylinders minus the nipples. Now if I can't get the nipples out of my cylinder some kind soul here could post me one to England where it isn't a controlled part.................Problem solved ????

I'm going to hang on until the Ted Cash ratchet nipple wrench arrives. In the meantime I'm going to leave my Colt cylinder soaking in 3 in 1 penetrating oil and hopefully ?????

I will be able to unscrew the nipples successfully ?

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #53 on: April 07, 2019, 11:56:39 AM »
NE
soaking the stuff rarely ever works. You'll have to go for chock therapy under heat.

Offline scrubby

• Pvt. Raymond Gouse - CO B 22nd Penna.Vol.Cav.
« Reply #54 on: April 08, 2019, 06:53:19 AM »
No local gunshop with a resident gunsmith, huh? I just changed out the nipples on my Remington. The 'smith reported that after a wee-longk soak on Kroil and moderate heat, they weren't budging. So he machined them off, flush to the cylinder, and used an E-Z Out. All 6 removed thusly, and original factory threads (10-28?) were chased and new Track of the Wolf parts installed. My Fiocchi caps now fit properly. Best of luck.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #55 on: April 08, 2019, 11:01:50 AM »
There are gunsmiths and a machine shop close by. I'm just too much of a skinflint to pay them  )L$

So last night I was on the vino tinto Rioja and bit the bullet and ordered an Uberti cylinder.......................Watch this space.

Offline LonesomePigeon

« Reply #56 on: April 10, 2019, 11:58:37 AM »
necessaryevil, I think those cylinders from Numrich are original 2nd Generation, not original 1st Gens. At least the ones I see there said "F frame" which I think would refer to the "F-Series" Colt 2nd Gen.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #57 on: April 10, 2019, 02:23:47 PM »
necessaryevil, I think those cylinders from Numrich are original 2nd Generation, not original 1st Gens. At least the ones I see there said "F frame" which I think would refer to the "F-Series" Colt 2nd Gen.

If Uberti works so should they to my way of thinking since Uberti made them.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #58 on: April 10, 2019, 03:50:36 PM »
The Uberti cylinder is being delivered tomorrow, so I'll get to find out for sure.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #59 on: April 11, 2019, 06:09:16 AM »
The Uberti cylinder arrived this morning.

GOOD NEWS, it appears to be very nearly a DROP IN fit ?

With the original wedge it functions perfectly, with no lube,  but the original wedge is worn so barrel to frame is sloppy. Same with no wedge but the frame and barrel pushed together.

It came fitted with a replica wedge that has been tigged up and filed to be a tight fit with the original cylinder. With this wedge tapped home the new Uberti cylinder binds.

So it looks like I need to adjust the replica wedge to fit the new cylinder ?

Length the Uberti 1.836".................Original 1.833"

Width Uberti 1.533" ........................Original 1.528"

Chamber Uberti 0.366"...................Original 0.371

Arbour bore Uberti .0430" ..............Original 0.429"

« Last Edit: April 11, 2019, 06:46:23 AM by necessaryevil »