1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Need hardcore advice  (Read 104 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Need hardcore advice
« on: September 29, 2019, 11:10:15 AM »
As many of you are aware over here in Scandinavia we´re left with the originals to stay permit exempt.
Think what one might of it,but such are the rules.

Now.
Friend left me this fair looking 1860 but upon closer inspection this is "bastard". Uhu..numbers don´t match and what not.

But.
That´s not the culprit in this case. Fitting aso..i´ve ontop of that,as setting the barrel and so on.
No.
The real culprit here is the cylinder as it´s chambers has been rusted out beyond belief. In short there´s holes between the chambers for some of them even.

To handle this i´ve given thought to sleeving the chambers with high grade stainless,install these pressfit and then ream the holes out to give spec.
The rusted out areas are pretty deep in the chambers why i´m giving thought to turning inserts that are like a "cup" a "U" if you wish.
That said..i´m still unsure of the fit,where these inserts will meet up with the bottom of each chamber.

So guys.
Any ideas?
DVC - 2019

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Need hardcore advice
« Reply #1 on: September 29, 2019, 12:51:27 PM »
Is there enough room to sleeve them and then ream them back to spec?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline sourdough

« Reply #2 on: September 29, 2019, 01:09:21 PM »
Hi Racing,

Is it legally permissible in your country/area to replace the cylinder? If so, I would take that approach. If you cannot obtain an original Colt cylinder, you might be able to fit a replica Uberti or Armi San Marco cylinder to the gun. I believe a Pietta cylinder is too long.

IMO, if the cylinder you have is that corroded/deteriorated, and you can bore the chambers (from the front of the cylinder) leaving a clean smooth hole for the sleeves, I doubt there would be enough material left between the rear of the chambers and the bolt stop slots. Remembering that the outside rear of the cylinder is 1851 Navy .36 size, that would be a difficult task. The Colt 1860 full-fluted cylinder would tend to rupture in that area, which is why Colt soon made the round engraved cylinder which had chambers tapered at the rear to approximately .36 caliber under the stop slots (Colt called this the "cavalry chamber/cylinder").

I am sure it would be fairly expensive to do so, also.

Regards,

Jim

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2019, 03:12:17 AM »
What calibre is it ?

As you probably know I have an 1851 Navy original for which I bought a brand new UBERTI cylinder. It drops in perfectly but with my REPLICA wedge I did need to skim a few thou off the cylinder face.

Is it legal in Sweden to possess and use a replica cylinder?

If it is I can tell you where to buy one and have it delivered through the mail ?

I use mine to shoot full Santa Barbara BP loads with .375 round ball. The gun is a tack driver.

I only shoot 10gr of powder in the original cylinder and not very often. But that too is very accurate.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2019, 03:22:11 AM by necessaryevil »

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2019, 04:22:33 AM »
Hello Racing,

I'm thinking you have a paper weight. Personally I don't feel sleeving the chambers is a possibility.
I think a different cylinder is needed to make it a safe shooter.
See the following from CasCity, Mako has some great drawings showing the dimensions of a Percussion Cylinder.
https://www.cascity.com/forumhall/index.php/topic,35765.0.html
I know this is on Conversions, but read through and look over Mako's drawings.

Hope this helps, AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2019, 07:23:13 AM »
Why not make a replica from a 1312 rod. Then batter it some.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2019, 10:20:06 AM »
What calibre is it ?

He said it was an 1860 so it would be a .44.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2019, 02:09:55 PM »
What calibre is it ?

He said it was an 1860 so it would be a .44.

Of course it is  L'}

That will explain why there isn't too much "meat" in the chambers to sleeve the cylinder.