1858banner

Author Topic: 1860 Colt Birdshead Sheriff  (Read 1296 times)

Offline Freedom

1860 Colt Birdshead Sheriff
« on: February 21, 2019, 09:43:48 AM »
I finished my grip frame modification on my 1860Colt Sheriff. Really happy how she turned out!

I added a nice little 5 1/2" X-draw holster and she is perfect.

Thanks for the help with the screws boys!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: 1860 Colt Birdshead Sheriff
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2019, 11:55:55 AM »
Nifty!

How does it shoot, with what appear to be the original sights?

Are you going to keep those shoulder stock screws?  My eight inch came with 'em, and some day when I have absolutely nothing better to do I'm going to make flush plugs.  For now I just leave the holes empty.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Freedom

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2019, 12:17:04 PM »
Well the shoulder mount screws on this Pietta are quite small compared to the Uberti. And they don't interfere with your trigger finger at all.  My Uberti was uncomfortable  and pressed against your trigger finger "big-time"!with the big screws.

I don't think the Pietta screws could even work for a shoulder stock the heads are so shallow.?

I haven't gotten a chance to shoot it yet, with the new grip frame. If I recall it hit really high...I was just thinking I probably need a taller front sight.

A conversion cylinder may even be in its' future M__
« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 12:21:35 PM by Freedom »

Offline sourdough

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2019, 02:07:34 PM »
Well, the shoulder mount screws on this Pietta are quite small compared to the Uberti. And they don't interfere with your trigger finger at all.  My Uberti was uncomfortable  and pressed against your trigger finger "big-time"! with the big screws.

I don't think the Pietta screws could even work for a shoulder stock the heads are so shallow.?

Very nice looking gun, sir! I really like the case colors on the frame and especially the load lever/rammer. I have 8 Pietta 1851 Navy .36 "type" pistols and none of them have the case colors on the latter like yours.

The birdshead grip is great for a pistol of this length. Omni's suggestion about making replacement flush plugs to avoid an interference is a good one.

Insofar as the shoulder stock, if the 4th screw heads protrude at least 1/32" from the frame (they only serve as locator pins), it works with a normal 1860 grip because the shoulder stock bearing surfaces are the recoil shield cutouts, the top of the backstrap, and the thumbscrew "hook" in the relief on the bottom of the backstrap.

If you want a higher blade front sight, my period correct (silver) preference would be a well-worn Seated Liberty dime (local coin shops might have one for about $10) or (copper) an Indian Head cent (a mere pittance), just for a somewhat historical state.

I would have a hard time hanging on to that gun with the small grips. I recently acquired a 25-year-old ASM 1860 Army .44 for a good price, and with the Army grips I have no problem with the fit in my hand even though the 4th screw heads protrude over 1/8" from the frame.

Thanks for your post!

Regards,

Jim

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2019, 06:48:27 PM »
That's a real nice looking 60 you have fixed up there Freedom. Really do like that.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Freedom

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2019, 08:02:41 PM »
Omni got me curious to see how she shoots...Very promising,.. that's how she shoots! {L* I was just glad to be shooting, and my targets looked ok too.

The heat waves coming off the barrel were hard to see through...and the winter temps are holding at a balmy *6 degrees.

I ran a very fast shooting session just before sunset. I loaded 3 full cylinders+ 1 bonus round for the chronograph.

30gr mixed granulation and manufacture of Black Powder and .454 round ball.

I 'always choose 4ffffg and.457's  in all of my revolvers, but with this little rammer hurts your hand bad enough with the 454..LOL And my flintlock powderhorn, with the mixed powder, was handy.

7 yards, 2 hands, standing, unsupported, 6rnd slow fire. That's a 1 inch Buffalo

25 Yards, 2 hands, kneeling, fast fire..6rounds ,<10sec'

10 Yards, 2 hands, standing, unsupported,  6round,<10sec'  only shots in the Back. (same target from 25yrds)

800 fps..seems to be moving right-along &j(

« Last Edit: February 21, 2019, 08:13:44 PM by Freedom »

Offline WECSOG

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2019, 10:44:02 PM »
That's pretty good velocity, especially with the short barrel and mixed powder.

Offline Freedom

« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2019, 05:53:48 PM »
I tried a couple more loads today just to see what velocity I would get from the Sheriff length barrel.

.454 Round Balls

30gr 777 =900fps on the dot. A slight hangfire could be felt compared to the real BP loads

30gr goex 4ffff=888fps This granulation just shoots great.  4ffffg is THE revolver powder, Hands down! No arguments, No dangers, Just simply the BEST revolver powder period.  ;)

No wonder most original revolver paper cartridges were loaded with it. &j(

The more I shoot this little revolver the more it grows on me. I feels kind of like I'm holding a little golf ball in my big meat-hook. But recoil doesn't cause any disturbance or discomfort to your hand.
 Follow up shots happen so fast and natural  with the hammer within such easy reach.

My first C&B was an NavyArms 1860, 32 years ago..but for the past 30 years I've mostly shot a Walker or a Remington. I had almost forgotten how well the 1860 just "points" your bullets into the target.

I've wanted to put this grip frame on something since I bought it 10+ years ago...Sure is nice to finally find the "right" revolver to fit it too.

Thanks Delbert for the compliments!

And I didn't really realize how nice the color case hardening was until Sourdough pointed it out...so thanks for that Sourdough!

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2019, 12:15:21 AM »
That is a great looking gun! I really like the new grip.

Offline Freedom

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2019, 02:07:12 PM »
Thanks Tinker! That means a lot looking at the craftsmanship you are sharing