1858banner

Author Topic: 209 shotgun primer nipples  (Read 4902 times)

Offline necessaryevil

Re: 209 shotgun primer nipples
« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2020, 09:26:44 AM »
I did a deal today for the Ruger Old Army with Juan de Dios. It's in a bit of a neglected state after being stored at the Guardia Civil following the death of it's orginal owner.

Juande bought it from the widow and intended to refurbish the revolver, but a change of job for him away from home meant no time to do it so I bought it from him. So next week I have a bit of a project on, see the pics attached.

Mechanically it is PERFECT and I have a brand new rear sight. The cylinder is like brand new as are the wooden grips. I may get some Pachmayr's though ?

So when she's all polished up I'll order some .457 round ball, then fit the 209 shotgun primer nipples and give her a thorough wringing out at the range.
« Last Edit: January 12, 2020, 09:48:55 AM by necessaryevil »

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #31 on: January 13, 2020, 01:48:39 PM »
 {?|

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #32 on: January 13, 2020, 09:02:19 PM »
Ah My Dear Necessary
That is a great score!

If you are so inclined, all one needs to do is hack off the last ~ 2" of useless eroded barrel and one has (what I like to think) is the perfect barel length
for a "house & belt revolver"   ;)

or just leave it long, more barrel for sight radius and to thwack someone .

If you can get some of Kaido's monster bullets or plain old 250gr .454 Colt bullets you will have quite the stopper with 777 !

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #33 on: January 14, 2020, 03:07:36 AM »
Hola Professor

Yes a good score indeed thanks. I spent yesterday working on it with the Dremel, a polishing mop on it, jeweller's rouge and some Scotchbrite.

Then I fitted the new rear sight and the 209 shotgun primer nipples.

I suspect the pitting on the barrel is being due to the gun being stored in a holster at the Guardia Civil ?

Well, it will have to do ?

The weight of this thing ! If six shots doesn't do the job you could use it as a very effective club !

I'm just waiting for some .457" round ball to be delivered, then it's a range day  {?|

I am thinking about ordering a LEE conical bullet mould for it ?

Here's some "after" photos.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2020, 03:15:28 AM by necessaryevil »

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2020, 06:00:11 PM »
BIG congrats NE!  (T^
That is one COOL Ruger!

That said i have to ask,how much of a hazzle is it to get a permit for it when "recedensia"? What do i need to fulfill to make that happen?
DVC - 2020

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #35 on: January 22, 2020, 01:24:55 PM »
Hola amigo, que pasa.

Si mi Ruger, es estupendo gracias.

All black powder guns are licenced in Spain. Including our beloved antique originals.

HOWEVER they are licenced on the AE (autorizacion especial) licence which it the easiest to get. AE authorises you to buy and possess ALL muzzle loading BP guns revolvers, pistols, shotguns and rifles original or NEW.

You go to a clinic authorised to issue medical certificates for gun licences and driving licences etc, take two passport photos with you and get a medical exam. Pass the physical exam and they give you a tick box psychiatric test................... just lie..............hahahahaha.

Then you join the regional Olympic shooting federation, you pay 80€ for the year and they give you a card which provides personal liability insurance which is obligatory.

When you have your medical certificate and your Tiro Olimpico card, take them along with your passport and a copy of your N.I.E certificate to the local Guardia Civil Intervencion de Armas office and apply for the AE licence. They will fill out the application paperwork.

They will give you a form Modelo 790 tasas to pay the 14€ fee at a local bank. Return the paid stamped 790 to the G.C and about 6 weeks later you should get your A.E licence that lasts for 5 years.

No need to do any competitions to keep the licence, no need to have any gun safe either.

Then all you need to do is find a club to shoot locally..............................Job done !

Just a shame you are not nearer to Malaga.

When you planning on moving to sunny España ?
« Last Edit: January 22, 2020, 01:29:36 PM by necessaryevil »

Offline Certus

« Reply #36 on: July 22, 2020, 07:06:38 AM »
I live in the UK and turned to shooting muzzle loading revolvers following the breech loading pistol ban here in 1997. Although I don't have any issues with traditional muzzle loading practices, I had my Ruger Old Army revolver converted to use smokeless powder to allow for its occasional use at indoor ranges where muzzle loaders are not always permitted. The rear of the original cylinder was machined off and adapted to accommodate 209 shotgun primers. A backplate was fabricated to fit the rear end of the cylinder which houses a trapped firing pin. I like to use 15 grns of Hodgdon 777 black powder substitute outside and 4.5grns of Herco smokeless powder when shooting indoors. Shotgun primers are not only easier to fit, but also cost considerably less to buy here in the UK. I use a small (Dumpy) screwdriver with a magnetised blade to remove the spent primers. They usually attach to the blade of the screwdriver and come out easily, or with just gentle use of the blade tip to loosen the more stubborn ones. When shooting smokeless powder, it's only necessary to lubricate the balls with liquid Alox without the need for filler or wads. When shooting 777, I use a lubricated wad without filler. I've had good results with both combinations and would only consider using a conical bullet if I were looking for a more powerful load than that necessary for paper target shooting.

I also have a couple of Uberti 1858 Remington replica revolvers one of which I also had converted to nitro powder and 209 shotgun primers.

As a matter of interest, when I picked up my converted Ruger Old  Army after its conversion, the gunsmith demonstrated it by shooting six rounds using only 209 primer power. All the balls not only cleared the barrel without any trouble, but also formed a nice group at 10 metres. Useful to know in the event you should ever accidentally forget to add powder when loading.

Brian

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #37 on: July 23, 2020, 03:08:31 PM »
I live in the UK and turned to shooting muzzle loading revolvers following the breech loading pistol ban here in 1997. Although I don't have any issues with traditional muzzle loading practices, I had my Ruger Old Army revolver converted to use smokeless powder to allow for its occasional use at indoor ranges where muzzle loaders are not always permitted. The rear of the original cylinder was machined off and adapted to accommodate 209 shotgun primers. A backplate was fabricated to fit the rear end of the cylinder which houses a trapped firing pin. I like to use 15 grns of Hodgdon 777 black powder substitute outside and 4.5grns of Herco smokeless powder when shooting indoors. Shotgun primers are not only easier to fit, but also cost considerably less to buy here in the UK. I use a small (Dumpy) screwdriver with a magnetised blade to remove the spent primers. They usually attach to the blade of the screwdriver and come out easily, or with just gentle use of the blade tip to loosen the more stubborn ones. When shooting smokeless powder, it's only necessary to lubricate the balls with liquid Alox without the need for filler or wads. When shooting 777, I use a lubricated wad without filler. I've had good results with both combinations and would only consider using a conical bullet if I were looking for a more powerful load than that necessary for paper target shooting.

I also have a couple of Uberti 1858 Remington replica revolvers one of which I also had converted to nitro powder and 209 shotgun primers.

As a matter of interest, when I picked up my converted Ruger Old  Army after its conversion, the gunsmith demonstrated it by shooting six rounds using only 209 primer power. All the balls not only cleared the barrel without any trouble, but also formed a nice group at 10 metres. Useful to know in the event you should ever accidentally forget to add powder when loading.

Brian

Likewise, when Tony Blair stole my cartridge pistols in 1997 I too went out and bought a Pietta Remington 1858 target model .44 cal in stainless. I used to shoot it with Pyrodex P as I couldn't be bothered with the rigmarole of an explosives licence and the storage nonsense that went with it.

I retired in 2008 and went to live permanently in my house in Southern Spain.

12 years later and a Spanish gun licence which I have had for 11 years I can and do own anything we used to be able to own prior to 1997 and some stuff we couldn't.

Latest acquisition being a Glock 34.

Nice Ruger you have there.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #38 on: July 23, 2020, 05:26:41 PM »
Hello Evil,

I've read through this subject 3 times, can't find an answer to the removal of the fired 209 Primers.
I might have missed it but could you tell me how are they to eject?

Thanks AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Certus

« Reply #39 on: July 24, 2020, 08:47:27 AM »
Hello,
The Remington is based on the original muzzle loading revolver after conversion to use breech loading brass cartridges which many were back in the day. A little pricker tool is mounted on the side of the frame where the cartridge extractor would have been fitted which can be removed to push out the spent primers. A small (Dumpy) screwdriver with a magnetised blade which the spent primers are  usually easily attracted to is all that is usually required to remove spent primers on the Old Army. Occasionally, a stubborn one might need gently prising before it sticks to the magnetised blade for removal.
Brian

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #40 on: July 24, 2020, 02:35:57 PM »
Thanks Certus,

I've purchased a setup for my long rifle, I haven't tried them as of yet but I noticed that a bunch of primers would have needed to be pressed in, very tight. So I built a little sizing die and ran all my 209 primers through it. I don't know if I'm going to have trouble with it or not. So as long as I can still find #11 caps, I'll just keep shooting them. I only picked up this setup to have an alternative method for firing.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Certus

« Reply #41 on: July 25, 2020, 04:04:07 AM »
Thanks Certus,

I've purchased a setup for my long rifle, I haven't tried them as of yet but I noticed that a bunch of primers would have needed to be pressed in, very tight. So I built a little sizing die and ran all my 209 primers through it. I don't know if I'm going to have trouble with it or not. So as long as I can still find #11 caps, I'll just keep shooting them. I only picked up this setup to have an alternative method for firing.

AntiqueSledMan.

Hi
Sizing 209 primers is a good idea as they do vary slightly depending on the manufactuer. I have found CCI to be the most consistant and easy to remove in my revolvers. I'ts important to keep the primer cups clean as residue can build up after extended firings. I use a 6mm drill inserted into the cup and gently turned between finger and thumb as part of cleaning the gun which I do after each range session. Although the deposits removed are not large, I'm sure they wouild buid up and maybe cause seating problems if not attended to reguiarly.
Brian