1858banner

Author Topic: Parts for ASM 1860  (Read 1079 times)

Offline onehappycampster

Parts for ASM 1860
« on: December 30, 2018, 04:20:00 PM »
Good evening all. I'm a new member. I'm not new to blackpowder but I am new to bp revolvers. I was just given a brass framed ASM 1860. It was left outside, after shooting it appears, and seized up. I was able to disassemble it however I may need a few new parts.  Looks like I will need a new hand, bolt, possibly cylinder and I would like to order a spare set of screws.  I know these parts have pretty much dried up but what's the chances of Pietta parts working?  I'm no stranger to metal working.  I'm a machinist and CNC programmer by trade.  I'm not afraid of hand fitting parts.  I only thought I'd reach out to some folks more experienced than myself.  Thank you.

Matt

Offline HAWKEN50

• God made man. Sam Colt made them equal.
Re: Parts for ASM 1860
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 04:24:10 PM »
Deer creek carries ASM parts....    http://www.deercreekproducts.net/
By God its been one hell of a ride.
 Lifes too short to bother with idiots or cheap whiskey.

Offline onehappycampster

« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 04:31:40 PM »
Thank you for the reply. I will have to contact them. Their website doesn't show any parts listed.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 07:17:39 PM »
I have fit a set of Pietta internals to an ASM 1860.   If I remember right the trigger hole had to be enlarged to accommodate the original ASM screw and the hand and bolt needed some adjustment as they usually do.  I don't remember if the hammer dropped right in or not.  I do remember it was fairly simple to make them work.  I've been shooting that revolver for 4 or 5 years now.  I did not replace the cylinder but I do know that a Pietta cylinder is a little too long for the ASM that I have. 

Offline onehappycampster

« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:18:21 PM »
Thanks for the information. I may go ahead a order a Pietta cylinder and turn or mill the face off to match the ASM.  Are you aware if the Pietta screws will work in the ASM frame?  Thanks again.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 06:57:28 AM »
Pietta screws won't work.   The axle part of the Pietta screws are several thousandths smaller than the ASM screws,  hence the need to ream the Pietta trigger hole larger.  I believe the hammer is the same way.   The grip frame screws don't fit either due to head size.  Uberti screws may be closer in dimension to ASM.

Offline HAWKEN50

• God made man. Sam Colt made them equal.
« Reply #6 on: December 31, 2018, 11:25:58 AM »
 (^h    HUmmm just went to Deer Creeks website.....looks like they dont have revolver parts any more,,,,
By God its been one hell of a ride.
 Lifes too short to bother with idiots or cheap whiskey.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 11:33:13 AM »
Hello All,

I do know I put a Trigger/Bolt Spring from an Uberti into my CVA - A.S.M. 1851. It was a perfect fit.
As far as Deer Creek, we've ordered from them in the past without issues. I'd give them a call.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline onehappycampster

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 06:50:02 PM »
Thank you all for the replies. They're great jumping off points for me.

Offline onehappycampster

« Reply #9 on: January 13, 2019, 12:30:42 PM »
This ended up being a dead ended project. I found a crack in the frame. Looks like I have a wall hanger

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2019, 01:07:48 PM »
Buy a steel frame and swap everything over.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.