1858banner

Author Topic: 'The Dandy,' Pietta 1858 .450 Adams conversion  (Read 1771 times)

Offline Tinker Pearce

'The Dandy,' Pietta 1858 .450 Adams conversion
« on: December 30, 2018, 12:40:47 AM »
 I have a couple of antique revolvers that fire the .450 Adams cartridge and commercial ammo is unobtainium, so I reload my own. When I decided to make my first cylinder from scratch I decided to make it a five-shooter chambered in a .45 Caliber cartridge (like Remington's conversions.) I thought, 'well, I already reload .450 Adams, and it's a period cartridge...'

I started with a Pietta Remington that I had previously converted to .44 Colt (original.) I had shortened the barrel of this gun to 3-1/2 inches and modified the loading-lever to act as a cylinder-pin retainer. I also modified the grip with a 'pinky' groove at the bottom of the grip-frame, which makes the gun much more comfortable to hold, and modified the white plastic grips to match. My wifr named the gun 'The Dandy' because she thought the white grip was fancy-looking. I also added a sight-rib with a pinned-in blade front sight.

For the new cylinder I got a nice piece of half-hard 4340 round bar, chucked it up in the lathe and turned the cylinder, turning down the rear section for the ratchet. I cut the ratchet first and carefully marked where to cut the notches for the bolt stop, then cut four more at equal intervals around the cylinder and modified the ratchet to time the cylinder. I center-bored a 1/4" hole in a 1/2 brass rod, then turned it down until it fit snugly in the bore of the revolver, and center-bored a hole for each chamber through the barrel, basically line-boring the chambers through the barrel. I then drilled the chambers out to .451, flipped the cylinder and reamed the chamber to accept the cartridge-case. I made a floating breech-ring with a floating firing pin and a loading port that matched the one already cut in the revolver's blast-shield. After I tested the cylinder I rust-blued it for a permanent finish.

It's a lot of fun to shoot; recoil is mild and accuracy is good. The cartridges are adorable- like fat little cartoon bullets!

Anyway, something different and unusual, so I thought I'd share it.

Online Dave Shooter

Re: 'The Dandy,' Pietta 1858 .450 Adams conversion
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2018, 04:59:18 AM »
Spiffy! I love seeing posts from you guys who can make things.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 30, 2018, 10:06:40 AM »
Dandy indeed.  That is just too cool!

Sorry, but you have now exceeded your coolness allotment.  Therefore; portions of your creativity, knowledge, motivation, experience and talent, which you have clearly hoarded unto yourself and now possess in excess, will, for the sake of "fairness" and "social justice", have to be confiscated from you by force and redistributed, via the Central Planning Committee working in partnership with the Committee to Make Sure No One Feels Outdone, to the other members of this forum.   ;)
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2018, 11:00:22 AM »
 {
Dandy indeed.  That is just too cool!

Sorry, but you have now exceeded your coolness allotment.  Therefore; portions of your creativity, knowledge, motivation, experience and talent, which you have clearly hoarded unto yourself and now possess in excess, will, for the sake of "fairness" and "social justice", have to be confiscated from you by force and redistributed, via the Central Planning Committee working in partnership with the Committee to Make Sure No One Feels Outdone, to the other members of this forum.   ;)

(?^

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:30:21 AM »
Another good job and a very cool gun Tinker! I like that pinky groove on the grip. Did you have any issues with the 1858 lockwork on a 5 shot cylinder?
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Dellbert

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 30, 2018, 12:13:18 PM »
I like that Tinker. Thanks for posting it on here for all to see.
If it's not broke don't try fixin it.

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #6 on: December 30, 2018, 10:26:58 PM »
Another good job and a very cool gun Tinker! I like that pinky groove on the grip. Did you have any issues with the 1858 lockwork on a 5 shot cylinder?

Not on this gun.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #7 on: December 31, 2018, 08:19:15 AM »
That is so neat. I like it!
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #8 on: December 31, 2018, 11:35:16 AM »
See Tinker,

I told you these guys would like your projects.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline sltm1

« Reply #9 on: December 31, 2018, 11:44:14 AM »
Too Cool For School !!!! Great work !
Life's tough...it's tougher when yer stupid !!

Offline Shootemup

« Reply #10 on: February 28, 2019, 08:26:01 PM »
I like it Tinker that is a Dandy For sure

Offline Shootemup

« Reply #11 on: March 08, 2019, 08:39:31 PM »
Question for you Tinker when you made the cylinder what did you use to cut the ratchet and how did you get the spacing rotary table, dividing head or some other method.
  Thanks
« Last Edit: March 08, 2019, 08:46:22 PM by Shootemup »

Offline Tinker Pearce

« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2019, 12:43:35 AM »
Question for you Tinker when you made the cylinder what did you use to cut the ratchet and how did you get the spacing rotary table, dividing head or some other method.
  Thanks

I cut the ratchet with a cut-off wheel in a flex-shaft tool. I did the spacing by drawing a five-point star, giving me five equidistant points to cut the teeth.  I looked at another five-shot cylinder to get the relationship between the ratchet teeth and the lock-notches on the cylinder. I left a little room on the teeth for adjustment, and once the cylinder was timed properly I center-bored the chambers through the barrel.