1858banner

Author Topic: Navy arms .36 navy  (Read 1516 times)

Offline West Texan

Navy arms .36 navy
« on: December 18, 2018, 07:59:21 PM »

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Navy arms .36 navy
« Reply #1 on: December 18, 2018, 08:32:01 PM »
The brass was polished when the revolver was new.  Some guys like the mellowed patina on brass,  others keep it polished.   Any metal polish will shine it up in no time.   Brasso works and is readily available.  Your local auto parts store will have several varieties of metal polish.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: December 18, 2018, 11:24:19 PM »
I like the dull brass and hate shiny brass. Polish to your hearts content. It's not like it's a collector piece.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: December 19, 2018, 07:45:30 AM »
Nice pistol West Texan!
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline West Texan

« Reply #4 on: December 19, 2018, 09:28:46 AM »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: December 19, 2018, 12:14:50 PM »

Why do you think the spring needs replacing?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 19, 2018, 03:11:41 PM »
stick men
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline West Texan

« Reply #7 on: December 19, 2018, 04:32:52 PM »

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: December 19, 2018, 05:11:12 PM »

Most repro springs are stout. You can thin it or replace it with a Wolff spring. Another repro spring probably wont make much difference.

Offline West Texan

« Reply #9 on: December 19, 2018, 09:51:34 PM »
I dug out an old 1972 copy of Black Powder digest. It has a long article about the 1851 navy replica revolvers  this one is discussed and listed in the product section about $75.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: December 19, 2018, 11:47:30 PM »
I dug out an old 1972 copy of Black Powder digest. It has a long article about the 1851 navy replica revolvers  this one is discussed and listed in the product section about $75.

DANG!!! I bought a 58 Remington in 69 with a pound of powder a tin of caps and a bullet mold for right at $60.00.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: December 20, 2018, 12:01:15 AM »
WT; the mainspring (hammer spring) may be on the stiff side, but once you disassemble and clean the whole action it may not seem so bad.  Bending or shimming the spring might could reduce the tension, but "stacking" (the increase in tension as the hammer comes back) may still be an issue.

If it still seems too stiff after the action is cleaned and lubricated, slotting the mainspring is fairly easy. That will reduce the tension AND reduce stacking.  Shown is a factory Wolf spring for reference.  I slotted the mainspring in my Colt's Dragoon and it improved the feel considerably.  That slot I put in it isn't quite as wide as the one in the photo, and it still needs a but more.  Next time I take that gun out I'll probably widen the slot, and at that point it'll end up looking more like the photo.

Be sure to check the hammer by itself too, with the bolt, trigger and cylinder removed.  There may be other issues making the action hard to cock, so a process of elimination is called for.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline valforgettaboutit

« Reply #12 on: December 20, 2018, 11:38:21 AM »
That's a real nice one you have there. I have one of the first run Navy Arms' and I'm a big fan. Is yours made by G & U ?

Offline Capnball

« Reply #13 on: December 21, 2018, 05:40:15 AM »
I have a 1976 Colt and the brass has some nice patina. I too dislike the shiny brass look. If you like it shiny, buff away!  (k-