1858 remington forum

Author Topic: .45 acp shotshell  (Read 975 times)

Offline frontloader

.45 acp shotshell
« on: December 16, 2018, 01:28:37 PM »
I thought I would share a method I use to make 45 acp shotshell. ive tried the factory stuff, and its weak. i use a .270 Winchester case cut to  1.54  and deprimed and primer flash hole drilled larger,  then put the .270 in a 44 mag resizing die. resize to length of 45 acp case and putting a rolled crimp. , this will put a "shoulder" on the .270 case  where it will head space the shotshell. .. i load the shotshell with .5cc Lee dipper or a measured 3.7 grains of American Select .then an over powder wad i cut from a egg carton with a 45 acp case mouth. then load 200 gr #8 lead shot. then i use hot glue or candle wax to seal the deal. it is time consuming, but I made about 25 shotshell cases and they probably will last me a lifetime. im not very good at putting things in words but if you have questions i will be glad to try and answer them .the crimp helps hold the wax "top".... for lack of a better word.
« Last Edit: December 16, 2018, 01:57:27 PM by frontloader »

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • BP, the original bug chaser!
Re: .45 acp shotshell
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2018, 08:06:25 PM »
Ah, this is for the .45ACP conversion cylinder.
Clever.
Does your shot pattern with the donut hole?
Jim Beam me, Scotty!  Life here is more intelligent than I.

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2018, 08:14:48 PM »
Why specifically enlarge the flash hole?  And to what size enlarge?

Offline frontloader

« Reply #3 on: December 17, 2018, 12:22:47 PM »
Why specifically enlarge the flash hole?  And to what size enlarge?
if flash hole not enlarged .. when shot.... primer will back outta case and possibly lock up cylinder.. I drill flash hole
..5/64  or .078  i would think a little larger wouldn't hurt.. 
« Last Edit: December 17, 2018, 12:47:04 PM by frontloader »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2018, 07:36:08 PM »
What do you do with those shotshell's?

I too would like to see how they pattern, at ten yards or so.

Some of us have "spearminted" with shot in our percussion revolvers, and gotten a very rapid pattern spread, with a "doughnut hole" in the middle where little or no shot lands on the target.  I had considered reaming out the rifling of a 12 inch Colt "carbine" barrel for a Pietta 44 Army or Navy revolver, for trap shooting, but never had quite enough enthusiasm for the idea to hack out a perfectly good barrel.  A handgun that shoots metal cartridges and has a smooth bore for shot might run afould of our twisted, convoluted, anti-constitutional laws though.  I'd have done this to a percussion gun, which is another thing.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline frontloader

« Reply #5 on: December 18, 2018, 11:45:49 AM »
this a measured 11 feet .. no doughnut hole .. not a goose gun lol ...I do know at 5 feet it will cut a snake in half.
« Last Edit: December 18, 2018, 11:52:22 AM by frontloader »

Offline Classanr

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: December 18, 2018, 09:31:11 PM »
Shorter barrel helps the pattern too.
My specs show that a .308 cartridge cut where the shoulder slopes in also works.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: June 02, 2019, 03:19:46 PM »
Several years ago I had an RCBS die set for making those 45 ACP shot shells, but I made them from .308 brass. I sold the die set, but made a bunch of shot shell brass before I mailed them out. Now there is a "sticky" on the CastBoolit forum for making the brass from other dies that probably most of us have. No specialty die set needed.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2019, 01:36:00 PM »
Oh, and this cuts down a bit on shot capacity, but I use a 410 shot cup trimmed to length in my 45 Colt shot shells. Not sure it would be worth it in 45 ACP though.

Offline frontloader

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2019, 04:49:01 PM »
i should have added, the cases you drill the primer pocket out.. mark them so u dont shoot them as .45 acp.. {_K

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2019, 12:43:26 PM »
OK, can someone 'splain to me why a primer would back out of a 45 ACP case and not out of a 45 Colt case?

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2019, 04:14:10 PM »
OK, can someone 'splain to me why a primer would back out of a 45 ACP case and not out of a 45 Colt case?

It's because all primers back out upon firing and then reseat themselves against the recoil shield or bolt depending on the firearm but the .45 ACP doesn't have enough case length to accommodate a sufficient power charge with shot so the primer can't reseat itself.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2019, 07:36:54 PM »
Gotcha!

Offline Yolla Bolly Brad

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: September 03, 2019, 12:25:11 PM »

A headspace issue?
Brad Potter, hardware junky.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #14 on: September 03, 2019, 06:57:46 PM »

A headspace issue?

No. All primers back out to some degree on firing but if the load is too light the case won't slam against the recoil shield with enough force to reseat it. Opening up the primer hole doesn't let the primer back out with light loads.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.