1858banner

Author Topic: Barrel Twist Question  (Read 803 times)

Offline Hylander

Barrel Twist Question
« on: October 16, 2018, 06:15:11 PM »
Got a new to me like new 50 cal. T/C Hawken coming.
Got a line on a 32" G/M drop in barrel, which I will most likely cut to 30" for better handling.
However it is a 1/70 twist.
Think it a bit to slow?
I am looking for top accuracy to at least 100yds.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Barrel Twist Question
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2018, 07:44:46 PM »
1:70 is a round ball twist. It wont shoot conicals worth a crap except for minies. I don't see where cutting two inches off is going to make it handle much better.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2018, 02:07:54 PM »
Hello Hylander,

The TC Hawken's were 1/48, which does shoot a conical very good & a round ball fairly well. I could always shoot round balls better with my CVA Frontier Rifle which had 1/66 twist.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2018, 02:31:43 PM »
The TC Hawken's were 1/48

True, but he's talking about a Green Mountain "drop-in"* replacement barrel.  GM barrels are good, the 70" ball twist will work very well for round ball, and as Hawg says, it will probably work well for some Minies also.

So the questions become; 1. What's wrong with your TC barrel, that you would choose to replace it? and 2. If the original TC barrel really does need replaced, are you planning on shooting round ball exclusively, or finding a Minie that it will shoot well?  I've used round ball exclusively in my 48" twist 50 cal for many years now, so with the last question I'd have no problem.

* The barrel comes with the hooked breech, which will interface with your existing tang.  Unless you replace both the tang and the hooked breech at the same time, as a matched pair, it is likely that some fitting of the breech to the tang will be required, for best results.  I have one of those GM "drop-in" barrels, which I've never used but still might someday, and it is by NO means a "drop-in" proposition.  I'll have to do some very judicial filing of either the breech or the tang, or both, to get them to mate up properly.  As it is, the barrel can be hooked into the tang, but the barrel will not settle down into the stock-- The barrel binds in the tang and wants to sit up at several degrees above the stock, such that I'd be risking tearing the tang screws out of the wood if I forced it.  This is not a big deal at all if you're familiar with the process of fitting a hooked breech and tang setup, but do NOT expect a "drop-in" install unless you feel lucky.  Also, the new breech's powder snail may or may not line up nicely with the cutout in the lockplate.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Hylander

« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2018, 05:29:28 PM »
Quote from: Omnivore link=topic=11901.msg202210#msg202210 date=1539808303[/quote

So the questions become;
1. What's wrong with your TC barrel, that you would choose to replace it?
Nothing wrong, I just prefer a slower twist with deeper rifling.
Will most likely sell the original barrel.

2. If the original TC barrel really does need replaced, are you planning on shooting round ball exclusively.
Does not Need replaced, I just want to replace it, and Yes PRB only.