1858banner

Author Topic: Westley Richards "monkey tail" short rifle  (Read 6605 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Westley Richards "monkey tail" short rifle
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2019, 07:13:11 PM »
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #46 on: May 13, 2019, 05:57:13 AM »
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #48 on: May 24, 2020, 05:34:02 PM »

This thing..right. Modified to take 45-90 brass and indeed it does. Shoots very very well but doing so a few misses has been brought to light. Uhu. That´s approx 150yr old walnut that´s been restoed  (T^

First up.

For the Whitworth especially,but for this Monkey tail too nipple erosion has turned out to be an issue. 20 booms and you´re out - approx. I took to machine what i needed from Inconel 600 and..erosion has come to an absolute halt.
Ie;no more need to pick up platinum lined nipples at a 100$ a pop anymore..  (T^

However.
The rifle uses a chamber insert out of Swedish SIS-2541 tool room steel. The flash hole entering said chamber i held to a minimum at 1,5mm dia.
Thus,nipple approx 2,5mm at the top where the cap is placed and flash enters, and then a flash hole of 1,0mm out the bottom of the nipple to keep back pressure pulse down.
From there the flash enters sort of a "room" before it´s to head for said 1.5mm hole of the insert.
Well.
What happend was that it went boom like 20 times..then just "pliff". Cap only,no boom. Turns out that the "room" mentioned above causes like a backdraft that simply soots up.
Easy enough to remedy,just poke a pin down there..and go at it again.
But.
As i had the entire thing apart the other day to massage the forcing cone to take cartridges with boolits seated way more out i also took the insert out to check it. Just to be more safe than sorry.
While so i also took to drilling that flash hole to a 2mm even,which of course is a rather dramatic difference in area. Hope this´ll alleviate the issue.
Mind you,i mainly use Wasag powder - which is WAY more dirty than for instance Swiss.
Would T7 be an alternative as it runs that much cleaner ? Yeah,i guess. But truth be told i´m thinking duplex loads for this old war horse down the line.
The chamber insert sure as hell won´t mind...

Now.
This all good and dandy but yet another issue has arisen,and that is the wear on the locking system.
This is a trap door rifle remember,and as such...

There´s like a sled that rides a track,bolted to the lid of the setup. All good i guess,but as i swapped for metallic cartridge the loads imposed have of course risen too.
Up front,vs the chamber,there´s like a brass plunger OEM. This has been made away with since long and replaced with a ditto out of steel.
The actual sled and track tho are still the originals and as it turns out this simply won´t cope. See the pic.

So what i plan to do here is what i should have done long ago i guess and that is to fab a new setup on the same theme.
Just with way more attention to detail and modern steels.
Again,of course,SIS-2541 but more importantly with more attention to the angle between the plunger that takes the hit and the bottom of the cartridge.
As i´ve modified the system this of course becomes an issue and due that i also set backspace with that plunger/sled.
It becomes a tad involved as the actual lid of the trap door is slightly sloped,while it is flat enough on its underside where the track is bolted it is still at an angle vs the chamber and thus the cartridge "culot".

Make no mistake. This is a hybrid with the intent of pushing what´s there to be had from a performance point of view. Keeping with blackpowder and the Whitworth setup within.

It being a trap door tho sets limits to how a scope,any scope,can be installed and over time i´ve tried a few different approaces for a sliding setup - so the scope can travel linear vs the bore to open and close the trap door and STILL have the eye piece at a decent distance vs the eye of the shooter.
Well.
Given that a real hard long look and believe i might have come up with a viable solution. Now. remember..the loads imposed by actual firing of the gun is one thing and these forces aren´t all that TBH.
Day to day handling tho..is.

So what´ll happen here is the "sleds" and track for the new n modern era CNC routers. I´ve ordered two of those for one track..times two as i need one setup for this Monkey tail and one for that Swiss made Milbank of mine.
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #49 on: May 27, 2020, 06:34:09 AM »
Trials with shooting "half n half" paper patch fell out well.
In short patching the rear of the boolit only suffices to make the paper be slung up and obturate from what it seems.

As such,as it´s inexpensive and available,i´ve opted to try the LEE 500 3R mold out. Some swear by it some mean it´s worse than the worst.
We´ll see.
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #50 on: June 07, 2020, 03:56:00 PM »
Alright.
So where we´re at right now i´m currently cutting the pieces needed to replace the entire lock with high grade steel (read - Swedish SIS-2541 tool room steel).
This using a 60deg dovetail cutter and designing along the stocker in as much that i´ve opted to retain the front most cylindrical piece,just suspending said piece - that can move around in vertical - by two bearing points. Thus increasing unit load capacity times 2 right off the bat.
Altho loads makes the use of SIS-2541 true overkill i reason as such that..better safe than sorry and once done i hope to be able to forget about the lock for foreseeable future.

Pics coming up.
DVC - 2020