1858banner

Author Topic: Hawes 1851 Navy Colt replica by ASP  (Read 1837 times)

Offline Steuben Bill

Hawes 1851 Navy Colt replica by ASP
« on: August 30, 2018, 07:52:14 PM »
An ASP revolver produced for Hawes in 1970 followed me home, I guess it will scratch my itch for a .36 caliber and introduce me to Colt replicas at the same time.  Anyone here have any experience with them? My research to date shows that 1)they are pretty good guns and 2) that they are mediocre at best.  Saw it on the internet so it must be true!
Bill

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Hawes 1851 Navy Colt replica by ASP
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2018, 09:23:12 PM »
I don't know, but it appears you're about to find out, huh?

If yours isn't too sloppy, if it goes bang when it should and doesn't when it shouldn't, and if it hits to point of aim, and doesn't blow the hammer back upon firing thus dropping spent caps into the frame's hammer channel thus jamming the next shot, and if the lock timing is OK, then by that definition it's a "pretty good gun".

I like the '51 Navy.  My first one was that inexplicable offering from Pietta in 44 calibre with a '60 Army cylinder, but a couple years ago I finally got one in 36, also a Pietta, and it's a real shooter.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2018, 02:55:27 PM »
why not).    ])M

I'll second the favorable mention of Pietta 1851's.
I have an 1851 and an 1861 from 1996 and 1997 respectively (Piettas - from Cabelas) and the longer I have them the better they shoot.  Did a little polishing and tune-up on them decades ago and they still run strong and fine.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2018, 10:02:24 PM »
Is it a brass frame or steel frame? If brass, I wouldn't shoot more than 20 grains of FFFg in it. In fact, 15 grs is still a pretty snappy load. If it is a steel frame gun then you really can't over load it with BP or a sub.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline Steuben Bill

« Reply #4 on: September 07, 2018, 12:49:59 PM »
It is a steel frame.  My 1858 Remington is a Pietta for which I have both a spare cylinder and a conversion cylinder.

Offline Steuben Bill

« Reply #5 on: September 07, 2018, 12:55:04 PM »
It is stamped Hawes...... on the left side of the barrel. DGG under the loading lever confirms ASP manufacture and XXVI on the right side of the frame, just ahead of the trigger makes the year 1970. Thanks to those who have compiled the data which allowed me to dope this out.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2018, 07:57:11 PM »
Hawes was an importer of firearms. I have a Hawes '73 Colt made by Sauer and Sohn in Germany, a nicely made gun. ASM guns seem to vary as to quality. I had a '72 ASM Colt that was very nicely finished.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2018, 09:15:04 PM »
Hawes was an importer of firearms. I have a Hawes '73 Colt made by Sauer and Sohn in Germany, a nicely made gun. ASM guns seem to vary as to quality. I had a '72 ASM Colt that was very nicely finished.

DGG is ASP, later to be known as Euroarms and very god guns.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.