General Black Powder Discussions > Accoutrements

digital copies of antique labels

(1/2) > >>

prof marvel:
title says it all, taken shamelkessly from the web. All pre 1900 so I expect any copyrights have expired.

for your entertainment

oddly, I cannot find my matchbox labels...

Miguel Loco:
Sweet!!! I hope it's OK to ....ummmm.......borrow.....those?

AntiqueSledMan:
We can't forget Lester's.

prof marvel:

--- Quote from: Miguel Loco on August 11, 2018, 05:54:56 PM ---Sweet!!! I hope it's OK to ....ummmm.......borrow.....those?

--- End quote ---

They are
- antique web images
- readily available in the public domain
- copyright has expired, 
- presented as reproductions, not fraudulently presented as "real" or "original",

I would opine "yes"

Omnivore:
I find it odd that the Ely caps are said to be "central fire"?  It makes me wonder if that particular tin was for metal cartridge primers.  The original Ely percussion cap tins I'm accustomed to seeing have a green label.

When did the term "percussion cap" become replaced by "primer"?  I'll assume (but don't know at all) that there would have been a period in which "percussion cap" and "primer" would have applied to both styles, hence "central fire" might be the distinguishing term.  Then again, a percussion nipple is fairly "central" to the chamber in most revolvers, but since rimfire metal cartridges predate the central fire cartridges, the term "central fire" it seems to me would be specific to a metal cartridge.  We still call "primers" "caps" regularly, but only when talking about the "decapping" process during the reloading of metal cartridges.

Ok, have I beat that one to death?   

Nice images, Prof.  Thanks.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version