1858banner

Author Topic: Chassepot Mle 1866  (Read 14829 times)

Offline Miguel Loco

Re: Chassepot Mle 1866
« Reply #105 on: June 07, 2020, 10:30:00 PM »
Gorgeous work!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #106 on: July 30, 2020, 07:55:14 PM »
Thank you ML.

As much as the various work on guns have come to seriosly "spill over" for me there´s of course my own too. Two of them being Chassepot rifles,which just to recap is a bolt action gun that´s permit exempt for me.

Well.
The British built,by Potts&Hunt in London,last "sleeper" one..i finally got around to push it a bit further.

Well lads. The OEM Chassepot is a paper cartridge gun that uses an approx 385grain boolit propelled by 88 grains of blackpowder. As it´s a 45 cal gun it´s thus basically a 45-90 such - in essence.
As the thing sports for instance 1:20 twist and what not i this time out figured i´d step it up a bit,and took to turning myself a chamber insert for a 45-120 approx.
Seeing that i turned that insert out of high end steel but be that as it may the damn barrel is still the..by all means for the time rather serious steel..still just low grade crap compared to what´s available today.
Might be that blackpowder can only produce that much pressure,but lately having seen a few guns where crap´s gone ape.. What i did was set where that insert ends in a rather anal fashion.
I then proceeded to cut the barrel off at that spot. As i now had the bullet entry point,for the rifling that is,at close hand i opted to set jump as well as forcing cone and what not to my hearts desire.
I then set the barrel and chamber insert up snug against each other on the lathe and hit it with the TIG welder and some rather specialized TIG weldrod (as the high end steel vs the low end is a bit of a mismatch and can create cracks and god knows what else i´ve you ain´t within the loop).
So. Cut a couple of "welding ditch" into the barrel and insert both. The lathe as a make shift jig,centered the pieces using dial indicators and went at it.

The OEM piece of the barrel i had cut off (that carries the thread to bolt it to the action and so forth) i cleaned out and shoved that atop what i had welded together and..in turn hit the thing once again with the TIG,this time with regular "crap" weldrod.
This,in short,has handed me a very very strong chamber construction to play with,and there´s of course a reason for this.

Having turned and in general cleaned the welding areas out and..in all honesty feeling good about that i came to adress the scope mount.
From earlier i had turned a couple of steel bungs that i had basically just welded into the receiver. This coupled with the cast aluminium scope base though had handed me a 6-24x*50 scope that came to rest a tad to much above the barrel face than i cared for.
Thus..tossed the base on the mill and cut a few millimeters out of it. Bad move..the thing turned WAY to weak so going to have to replace that with a home brew base out of steel...
But nevermind.. I at the same time tossed the entire receiver onto the mill and cut yet a few millimeters out aaaaand..about right there i got happy again.
No. It´s not "to close for comfort" to the barrel yet. More so..cool enough.
Reason behind this is rather simple. These old rifles were never intended for scope use,and to do what i have in mind here necessitates a scope seeing the shooting distances involved here. So. Reason for getting the scope as close to the barrel as i´m comfortable with is that then i don´t have to adress the comb of the rear stock as drastically.
What i have in mind,to go with the era and looks of the gun,is one of them strap on leather jobbies. in turn i plan for a ditto butt plate/limb saver too.

Huh? Well guys. I´m by NO means a stranger to recoil but this IS a 45-120 rifle of modest weight,all said and done,why i´m going to equip it to the best of my possibilitys as far as that.
..which brings us to the next point...

Ah! Yes! The muzzle brake. Uhu. This rather simple little device i hope will help immensely. I opted to polish the barrel as a whole and ..it DOES show - the split line between the brake and the barrel.
But. Having done this i immediately thought to myself that...either rebrown the thing or blue it - the way i do it. Salts only that is,and i both hope n presume this´ll make that joint disappear more or less.

Yeah baby!!  (?^ (?^ ->i
Here we friggin go! Had a spare mid barrel band and took to turning a small collet to TIG weld to that band,thus handing me an installation point for a bipod.
Drilled the thing and tapped 6mm metric (of course) for a wing screw. Will dimple the axle on the pod to make them interact.

As a whole..i´m turning semi pleased with this thing. Now to adress the bolt..needs to be done. That and the firing pin(needle) and spring et al.
The Anschutz match trigger is already on there and works a million bux..so? We´re getting there...bit by bit boys  &j( (T^

Net result here is a 45 cal rifle from back in the day that´ll use a sorts of 45-120 cartridge that propels a 500 grains and up boolit down the range.
Looooooooooong distance i hope. Going to be a very very interesting trial this one. Hafta admit... M__
« Last Edit: July 30, 2020, 08:04:04 PM by Racing »
DVC - 2020

Offline Grumpy gumpy

« Reply #107 on: July 30, 2020, 09:39:42 PM »
Not sure I’d call it a Chassepot anymore...... {:(
Need a little laughing emoticon, this is really quite interesting, hows the recoil lugs going to cope with prolonged use?
I can see some of the "purists " at my club having kittens at the thought of modifying a rifle like this, I say you’re improving it from what it was
Gumpy

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #108 on: July 31, 2020, 04:27:15 AM »
Know all to well that i´m pushing the envelope.
No need to fret though,from a collectors standpoint,as this gun was ruined already as was. What´s more..they all in all about made 2 million of them..

Lugs in turn.
The mainstay of the bolt is fresh meat. SIS-2241 stainless to be more exact.
Again,the pressures arrived on with BP is limited after all,and even if i opt to go duplex with this thing pressures will still be within realms.
Have given thought to cutting for a pair of locking lugs up front however,have to admit to that. If nothing else from an accuracy perspective.
But already as is..
The stock setup on these things,bolt vs receiver that is,sure ain´t a close tolerance game. They more or less wiggle around in there,making that "cocking" to the one side of the bolt under fire isn´t only to be expected...it´s there.
With the fresh main body about any and all of that movement is gone. Sure..still a matter of making the thing stand still under load,which is..why i´m giving thought to a pair of locking lugs extra up front.
DVC - 2020

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #109 on: July 31, 2020, 09:02:02 AM »
Incredible workmanship and attention to detail, Racing.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #110 on: August 01, 2020, 06:58:37 AM »
Thx.

To be quite honest i was real hesitant to remove the natural brown of the barrel. This was a barrel delivered in white only why that brown was a matter of natural rust over time.
Mind you,from the parting line of the barrel n stock upwards only. But... As the brake went on there and as i cut into the breech of the thing..i needed to dress both areas.
In turn i removed the bracketry for the bayonet and in turn the sights,which are soldered on. Thus..kind of ugly all said and done why i reasoned as such that i might as well rebrown,or even reblue,the thing when i´m done.

As long as the bolt is out of stainless that´s of course a no-no as far as the bolt but..rest of it will color though.

First thing´s first however why i reason as such that any and all color will have to wait until the gun´s done and have seen a first practical evaluation/trials.
No point in handing it finish until then.

Ditto. I´ve kind of grown fond of the hue of the stock to be honest. Thus the add-on of a cheek piece,well...either brown,black or actually seeing the hue even red leather will do fine.

Also giving though to go totally mental on the scope. Biggest there is... (?^
DVC - 2020

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #111 on: August 02, 2020, 07:18:55 PM »

Funny. All said n done though sometimes..steel is just steel. The mill made short notice of turning the edges of it 60 degrees with a Brownell jobbie made for the task. Leaving them Millet rings something to grab onto.

Now. Of course the base needs a couple of set screws or similar to keep the two rings in check as recoil enters the picture,but that´s a remedy simple enough.
Nah.
Now..for the scope..and what i´ve got in mind is the most up the wall you could ever imagine  ->i (?^
Indeed. Glass helps,and why not then add a little humor to it too while at it.

Now for the bolt itself...
DVC - 2020