1858banner

Author Topic: Howdy to the CAS - SASS folks!  (Read 13646 times)

Offline Beauhooligan

Howdy to the CAS - SASS folks!
« on: December 20, 2011, 11:33:25 PM »
Howdy Folks!

I'd like to introduce myself to the CAS-SASS crowd here. I've been shooting CAS since around '94 and am a life member. I was the Deputy and Moderator for the CAS-l Internet posse from '95 to 2000 when Marshall Halloway started Cas City. I am a member of the The Ghost Riders on Cas City forums. I know all of the Wild Bunch that are still above ground, with Hipshot, Tex and Cat Ballou as particular friends, and count Richard Young AKA Tequila as a good friend; he almost caused me to go Modern and take up Ruger Blackhawks. I shoot Gunfighter when the stage allows, as I am pretty close to being ambidextrous. I shoot Dual Duelist on stages that don't work for shooting with both hands at once. I'm pretty crippled up, knees, hip and spine, and compete with no one but myself. I walk with a cane when I'm not pushing my 3 wheeled cart or at the shooting line. I limp between shooting stations. I am a willing participant, and cheer on my friends and most anyone else. I want to be safe and have fun; make times to remember. My main match guns are old Vaqueros in .44 Mag (.44 Russian Extra Long), .44-40 and .45 Colt. I shoot a Marlin 1894 in .44 Mag, a '94 Marlin Cowboy in .45 Colt and a Pedersoli '73 Winchester with a 30" barrel and magazine in .44-40. I use a Bond Arms derringer in .357 and a Forehand and Wadsworth in .38 S&W for side matches. I shoot a 12 ga. Winchester '97 with a 20" tube made in 1939, a Lefever Nitro special 12 ga. with 30" tubes, and a 12 ga. Stoeger Coach Gun. I do most of my shooting at the Sac Valley Shooting Center between Galt and Ione, Ca. and at the Manteca Sportsman Club out on the San Joaquin River.

I have been acquiring '58 Remingtons, and want to shoot my blue 5 1/2" pair with Taylor's/Howell .45 Colt conversion cylinders. I jave come to love the Remingtons. I've used 8" Remington '58 SS pistols for CAS with cap and ball, but loading 5 shots into two pistols for each stage, and keeping the fouling at bay is a full time proposition, and I and don't like to slow the posse down. Most clubs ROs will let me load powder, wad and ball in a safe area back of the line, then cap at the loading table. It gets hectic if the posse is small, and people end up waiting for me. I also don't get to do my fair share of range duty. I was going to use the 5 1/2" pistols with The Outlaws (SASS) last Saturday, but the valley was fog bound at 6:30 AM, and I wouldn't have arrived at Sac Valley Shooting Center in time for the shooters safety meeting. I'm going to try for California Rangers (SASS) this Saturday. Check out the place where I do 80% of my shooting. http://www.sacvalley.org/index.html You would have to see the California Rangers "cowboy town" in person to fully appreciate it; ten stages with store fronts, stage furniture like cattle and cacti The all time killer stage was the mine, where one entered the mine in the dark with pistols and shotgun, had to light a kerosene lamp with matches, at which time the RO starts the clock. The mine went back about 30 feet, black plastic tarps over a wooden frame work keeping out external light. The drill was to hit five reactive clangers with both pistols, and then take down two shotgun poppers, all by the glow of a single kerosene lamp. Talk about wild.
 ])M _l

Here's the short '58s in a couple of holsters I made a few years back and a shell belt I made for .45-70 to feed my Pedersoli Remington Rolling Block and a another shotshell / pistol cartridge belt. I do all my own leather work. I'll get my 10 Vaqueros out and post a shot of them sometime tomorrow.

Beauhooligan - Beauregard Hooligan, NRA and NMLRA Life, SASS Life 5674, Founder Mother Lode Shootist Society. ????? ???E

It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier.
    --Lazarus Long

Offline Beauhooligan

Re: Howdy to the CAS - SASS folks!
« Reply #1 on: December 21, 2011, 02:50:07 AM »
I was asked to put up aphoto of my Vaqueros, si I took some time and gathered up my Ruger Vaqueros and some other Ruger single actions. I'm a member of RATS (Rugers are Tough Firearms) on Cas City, and deservedly so as I think they are the best CAS revolver available. The New Vaquero is cool, but is small in my big hands, so I've stuck with the tried and true original Vaqueros. Here's a photo of my Ruger SA revolvers laid out on a Mexican blanket. :)

The Vaqueros are in the center line in pairs. The first two are .44 Mag with 7 1/2" barrels is blue/case with bone grips. The second pair are SS Bisley Vaqueros in .44 Mag with 5 1/2" barrels. The next pair are Birdshead Vaqueros with 3 1/2" barrels in .45 Colt; the greatest western hide out pistols ever built. Below them are two 5 1/2" SS Vaqueros in .45 Colt with Ruger faux ivory grips. The next pair are 7 1/2" .44-40s blue/case with stag grips. The last below them is my 7 1/2" Super Blackhawk that I've used to take 2 California wild boar in the Salinas Valley, and one black bear in the Sierras, wearing Pachmayer grips. On the right side is my 50th anniversary 7 1/2" barreled Ruger Flat Top .44 Magnum and a 1973 Ruger Blackhawk .357 Mag with a 9mm conversion cylinder and ivory grips. On the left is a 50th Anniversary Flat Top Blackhawk .357 Magnum, and another convertible, a 5 1/2" barreled SS Ruger Bisley Blackhawk in .45 Colt and a interchangeable .45 ACP cylinder. That pistol is a bit weird, as I have shot a dozen or more factory and handloads through it with both cylinders, and it shoot most accurately with the Wolf steel cased .45 ACP ammunition, cutting cloverleafs at 25 yards.  ???

I will admit that I have the Ruger Acquisition syndrome, a bad case, but I really don't care. I buy guns, ammo and reloading components, then buy food and pay for gasoline and everything else with what is left over. ;) :P
« Last Edit: December 21, 2011, 03:07:28 AM by Beauhooligan »
Beauhooligan - Beauregard Hooligan, NRA and NMLRA Life, SASS Life 5674, Founder Mother Lode Shootist Society. ????? ???E

It may be better to be a live jackal than a dead lion, but it is better still to be a live lion. And usually easier.
    --Lazarus Long

Offline Geraldo

• Lead singer and driver of the Winnebago
« Reply #2 on: December 21, 2011, 03:50:31 AM »
Beau, those are some really nice Rugers.  Where can I get that .44 Russian extra long?  )L$  Actually I have a 50th Anniversary in .44 Mag.

That holsters are sweet.   {?|

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #3 on: December 21, 2011, 11:24:12 AM »
Howdy Beauhooligan,  pleased to make your aquaintence.  You have a good looking outfit there & the shorty Remmies in the holsters look like they'd make a fine Frontiersman setup.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline 51colt

« Reply #4 on: December 21, 2011, 02:16:48 PM »
Beauregard, You have a inexpressive collection of guns. It is cool that even thou you heath problems you are still out there shooting and having fun. I feel your pain i was carpet layer for 30yr. My back and knees are shot also.

It seems we live in the same area i have always wanted to shoot at Ione just never have. I live in Manteca and can be found shooting at the Manteca Sportmans Club once a week. Nice folks there.

Alcohol Tobacco and Firearms should be a convenience store not a government agency.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Offline Beauhooligan

« Reply #5 on: December 21, 2011, 02:51:43 PM »
BTW, the base material for the cartridge belts is linen firehose. The Fire Department here replaced the old linen hose with hose made of a synthetic, and the old hose was junked. I grabbed as much as I could, and after making a dozen belts, I have enough left over to make a couple of dozen more. It had to be washed and bleached, but that was easy. I stitched them with a Tippman BOSS stitching machine I bought from Tandy Leather. ])M

--Lazarus Long

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #6 on: December 21, 2011, 06:06:21 PM »
Truly impressive array of hardware, Beau!
Always had the itch to try CAS or SASS, but I live (alas) in a State of Ignorance where a simple day's shooting costs $30.00 for the range fees alone. And I'm happy to pay it! A lot of folks around here have simply rolled over and given up. (not this kitten!)
Anyway, pardon me if I live vicariously through your CAS adventures!
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hellgate

« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2011, 05:21:02 PM »
Beauregard Hooligan,
I wondered what you've been up to. I used to be on the old CAS-L way back when even ol' Tex SASS#4 used to post. Glad to see you're still kicking (but with a little less umph and a little more gimp). I missed seeing your name and thought you mighta gone by the wayside. Your experience and wisdom is so welcome. I just joined this forum a day or so ago and really like it. I'm still on several others though. I just posted my long winded sorta intro on the "What are your main match guns?" section. I don't know any of the SASS bigwigs but have met them all. China Camp was my favorite besides Tex.
I've been called the Imelda Marcos of cap & ball for having over 15 of them. That's a compliment.
SASS #3302 Life, Regulator,  NRA Life
Wolverton Mtn Peacekeepers
Former Orygun Cowboy Ranger
Posse From Hell (Honorary)
RUCAS#58
DGB#29

Offline rbertalotto

• RVB Precision Web Page
« Reply #8 on: December 24, 2011, 01:42:22 PM »
Hey! I'm new to CAS (Shot three matches thus far) and new to this forum!

I picked up a pair of Pietta 1858 Remington with cartridge conversions yesterday. I loaded black and shot them this AM. Terrible accuracy at this point. But I was using 45LC brass, 200g Lee #90697 over 30g of Goex Cartridge powder.  The clean up reminded me why I don't shoot much black powder. Not sure I'll stick with the black or go the "fad" powder.

I ordered a "45SLIM" mold to cast lighter bullets with a much bigger grease groove and "Cowboy 45 Special" brass.  We'll see how this all works out.

My usual revolvers are a pair of worked over Ruger NM Vaqueros and a few Uberti SAA revolvers. All in 45LC. And I have a pair of 1851 44cal Navy Piettas on order from Cabelas ($129 each!!!!)

For rifles I use a Uberti 1873 20" Sporting Special, 1892 Brass frame Rossi Winchester and a Marlin 1884 Cowboy..........All depends on my mood......

For a shotgun I have a heavily breathed on 1897 clone and a worked over Stevens 311 in 20g.

I do all my own smithing. The Vaqueros were completely gone through and are as smooth as glass......The Rossi and Marlin have been attended to, but I've not touched the 1873 yet. Waiting until I have 500 rounds through it.

Cowboy action is the most fun I've had in all the various shooting competitions I've been involved in over the years.

You can see lots more of my equipment I've built and guns I've smithed in the photography section of my web page

www.rvbprecision.com
Roy B
Massachusetts
www.rvbprecision.com

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #9 on: December 26, 2011, 09:59:53 PM »
nice arsenal you got there rbertalotto
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2011, 11:30:52 AM »
WHOOOOOO! Thos are all nice.  ;)
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

brushhippie

« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2011, 02:34:20 PM »
Nice collection and webpage Roy!