1858banner

Author Topic: Shooter's bag/ possibles bag  (Read 1368 times)

Online mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Shooter's bag/ possibles bag
« on: April 10, 2018, 09:42:28 PM »
I've needed a bag for my long gun stuff for awhile so I put this one together the other day.   It's oil-tan buffalo hide I had left over from a project a couple years ago.   The strap is 100% Jute and I made the rings and keepers from some brass rod I had laying around.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Shooter's bag/ possibles bag
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2018, 01:05:03 PM »
Ya know, that just MIGHT work.  M__ As always, great job!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2018, 09:00:32 PM »
What, no rhinestones or silver conches?

Actually I like it just the way it is.  Very nice!
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2018, 09:09:49 PM »
Very authentic looking. I have a horn and bag made by Scott Sibley a number of years ago and it doesn't look as good as yours.

Online mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2018, 09:57:46 PM »
Thanks BC,   I don't know much about the authenticity of 1700's- 1800's front stuffer accessories but I do look around and pay attention to things I like.   Then I try to make them as best I can.     

Omni,   If I put rhinestones and silver conchos on it I could sell it as a designer purse on Ebay.   

Offline bladesmith

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2018, 01:55:42 PM »
Real nice. You went to some trouble making the strap. I always just used a piece of leather about a 1 1/2 wide. Did you carve the measure ? It also looks nice. Just read another thread - see you did.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2018, 02:00:43 PM by bladesmith »

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 04:44:46 PM »
Omni,   If I put rhinestones and silver conchos on it I could sell it as a designer purse on Ebay.

(LOL)  OK, so what's stoppin' ya?  A "designer purse" is worth at least a thousand dollars, no?

It's all in the marketing. Call it an "Early 19th Century classic retro-modern rustic impression, with a playful flourish, indicating a sense of history with a modern, independent, slightly rebellious, devil-may-care accent".  They'll climb over one another to pay a stupidly high price, but ONLY if the price is stupidly high enough.  Anything under a thousand dollars and it won't be interesting or desirable enough.  Who, after all, would want a mere 500 dollar purse when they could have a genuine, hand-made, one-of-a-kind, three thousand dollar purse, lovingly called into existence by the very flesh, bone-and-blood hands of Mike116 himself?  Hmm?  Answer me that.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Online mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #7 on: April 12, 2018, 05:24:10 PM »
The real question is....   Do I want to be "that" guy?    I think not.    Besides I'm lousy at marketing so I'd have to pay you to do it. Then all that easy money goes out the window to pay your commission.