1858banner

Author Topic: Navy Arms (Uberti) Yellow Boy  (Read 3004 times)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Navy Arms (Uberti) Yellow Boy
« on: April 02, 2018, 05:16:56 PM »
I have always wanted a 357/38Spl lever gun; couldn't pry the Win. away from my son in law and the new ones are so darned expensive. An early N-A 38 Spl. Yellow Boy came up at an auction place I have bought and sold from. I put in my max bid Fri afternoon for the Sat. auction. I ended up getting the rifle (haven't even seen it except for photos) and for under my maximum. Checked on-line and new ones are over $1000, so I am pleased. I will be taking some guns for the next auction and picking up my new toy on Thursday. I believe it is a first year production gun with serial # 5XX, couldn't see the date code. Does anyone know when Uberti started making them?

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Re: Navy Arms (Uberti) Yellow Boy
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2018, 02:09:43 AM »
DVC - 2020

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2018, 10:24:50 AM »
I'm not sure about the fast throw mod for the 1866, but would think it is possible to make parts if not commercially available.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2018, 10:28:55 AM »
These pictures are auction photos as I don't have the gun yet.

Offline Miguel Loco

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2018, 12:37:56 PM »
You're going to love that one!
-Mick
"a dios rogando y con el mazo dando"

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: April 03, 2018, 02:13:10 PM »
That it pretty cool.  A significant improvement over the '60 Henry.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: April 03, 2018, 03:30:13 PM »
Regarding the fast throw/short stroke modification....I did a search and came up with www.pioneergunworks.com.       They make the kits and all manner of other parts as well. I don't think I will be ordering one though; at $170.00 that is over 1/3 the cost of my rifle.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2018, 12:40:06 AM »
Ah My Dear Mazo -
you got a steal!
Keep your loads in the mid-to-heavy .38 spcl range and it will last a long time.
Even if it is chambered to .357 I myself would not trust it for 10,000 rounds of factory .357 loads.

However, if you load black (or pyro or 777), with lots of lube, you can get excellent velocities ( perhaps as good as .357)  and never stretch the frame. Just be sure to clean the barrel & etc blah blah blah...

yhs
prof marvel

Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
« Reply #8 on: April 04, 2018, 10:16:02 AM »
Mazo, congrats on a fine rifle!
Is this receiver brass or brass plated zinc?
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: April 04, 2018, 07:11:43 PM »
I won't be able to answer that until it is in my hot hands. I would guess it is brass though.

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #10 on: April 04, 2018, 07:53:21 PM »
RE: Brass or zinc

Uberti has been making these Yellowboy Winchester 1866 lever guns for decades, with little change except to certain internal parts.

I think I remember that the first ones shipped over came via Val Forgett to Navy Arms.

There was a long discussion elsewhere of what exactly sort of brass they used... we all dreamed hoped that Italy might
actually have used Proper Gun Bronze! Gun Bronze is a robust and wonderful bronze alloy commonly used in the day for cannon
and bells and other wonderful stuff. Gun Bronze is stronger and less brittle thsan iron and even some steel...
the only Bronzes better are Phospher Bronze and Nickle Bronze.

It is my delusion curse dream to one day get back to metal casting and be able to cast a few Remington 1858 and Colt Navy and R&S from Nickle Bronze . it has a remarkably warm silvery hue, and is stronger than common steel at 98,000 psi vs 75k - 85k psi for common carbon steel.... it also makes beautiful belt buckles!    ...  one day ....

But I digress!

A fellow sent a buggered up brass yellowboy sideplate to an analysis lab "for his day job" along with a bunch of other crap  .
I guess they had a fixed rate for anything under xyz pounds and he just added an ounce or several....

So the analysis came back - These Uberti Yellowboys are true brass frames, made of "common brass".

Oh well. Field tests since the 1960's have shown no stretching or other damage with ordinary "cowboy loads" or even constant use of heavy charges of 40 gr of 3F and a 255 gr lead bullet in .45 colt. You just NEED a bullet that can carry enough lube with our modern dirty powders. Swiss or Old Eynesferd might be good enough...

Thus with normal loads The .38 special should last nearly forever!

edit:
I had thought Uberti used a casting and machined that, but I was wrong! From Gunweek Magazine, an article on the Uberti Henry and 1866 snippet:

"Like in 1866, the Uberti replica is manufactured through a series of machining processes that obtain the finshed receiver starting from a 5 kg, single block of forged brass"

yhs
prof marvel
« Last Edit: April 04, 2018, 08:20:44 PM by prof marvel »
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: April 05, 2018, 07:21:39 PM »
Ahhh, forged brass! So, is that forged to close dimensions and then machined to tolerances? If it is forged, that should indicate work hardening and more strength? Anyway, I did pick up my new-to-me rifle today. It appears to have been fired very little, if at all. There are NO marks of any kind on the wood and metal. It was made in 1968 according to the date stamp (on the barrel!) of XXIV. Pictures forthcoming.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #12 on: April 05, 2018, 09:01:29 PM »
Can't wait to see your photos Mazo. I have a Uberti 1873 rifle and love it. It was made in the late 1990s.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: April 06, 2018, 03:18:36 AM »
Ahhh, forged brass! So, is that forged to close dimensions and then machined to tolerances? If it is forged, that should indicate work hardening and more strength? Anyway, I did pick up my new-to-me rifle today. It appears to have been fired very little, if at all. There are NO marks of any kind on the wood and metal. It was made in 1968 according to the date stamp (on the barrel!) of XXIV. Pictures forthcoming.
DVC - 2020

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #14 on: April 06, 2018, 02:21:54 PM »
OK, first off, the right side receiver: