1858banner

Author Topic: Buck n ball  (Read 1543 times)

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
Buck n ball
« on: March 30, 2018, 01:24:46 PM »
Out of curiosity,do any of you guys use buck n ball loads for your smoothbores?
Ie;one roundball "slug" coupled with three or 4 minor roundballs.
DVC - 2020

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Buck n ball
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2018, 01:32:28 PM »
Never have but I've seen pics and they seem to work very well with a big center hole and three small ones about an inch from the edge of the big one in a triangle around it.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2018, 02:17:51 PM »
Buck and ball was used against mass troops, to increase hit probability while retaining the large ball for penetration on lines of men, and horses.  Therefore the utility for us, beyond historical interest and experimentation, is fairly close to none.  Not that historical interest and experimentation for fun is a bad thing, mind you.

If one were hunting with a smooth bore, for example, the assumption would be that one or two of the smaller buck projectiles would suffice for a clean kill (in the case of the large ball missing the target).  If that is the assumption, then one might as well use buck only, and therefore toss more projectiles with one fired load.  If it is not the assumption, if one assumes that the large ball is needed for a clean kill, then why bother with the buckshot?

For that reasoning, we see very little ammunition for 12 and 20 gauge shotguns in a buck and ball configuration.

Back in the day of the smooth-bore musket, things were very different.  Aiming, for one thing, was optional, and again, troops tended to line up in close rows, like bowling pins, therefore mass volley fire was the order of the day.  Nowadays we'd use machineguns, mortars and assault rifles for war, and either full buckshot loads or single projectiles for hunting.

Now if you were to imagine a modern shooting match wherin there were targets amassed similar to an 18th or up to mid 19th Century battlefield deployment, then the buck and ball load might well be the winning choice...

Also; stating a spread without a distance isn't saying anything at all.  If I say that I'm getting a three inch spread at 25 yards, then I'm saying something.  You can then expect a spread of roughly six inches at 50 yards, twelve at 100, etc.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2018, 09:17:28 PM »
I experimented with Double Ball Loads and my 54 Cal Lyman Great Plains Rifle while home in December. They hold together pretty well.

Here's a target where I was trying to figure out where the gun was shooting at 25yds.

« Last Edit: March 31, 2018, 01:26:20 PM by drobs »
NRA Life Member

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #4 on: March 30, 2018, 10:29:23 PM »
I have used a single large RB, or .36 cal buckshot but not both.
The ~.72 Roundball is enough to take a moose, and nine .36 cal buckshot  ( ie 4-ought or 0000 buckshot )
do not spread very much even at 40 yards and thus are very effective on 2 legged wolves.

I understand the Sicilians used .36 buckshot also  ;)

Since we get bears, cougars, coyotes, and Gypsies, I have settled on this buckshot load in
"the goose gun" ( ie rem 870 pump) backed up with 5 rifled slugs on a stock carrier, and a 1911.
Ought to cover most contingencies...

If circumstances required,  a side-by-side 12 ga caplock with buckshot, backed up by a .44 remington
should do similarly well.

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2018, 11:56:24 AM »
Also; stating a spread without a distance isn't saying anything at all.  If I say that I'm getting a three inch spread at 25 yards, then I'm saying something.  You can then expect a spread of roughly six inches at 50 yards, twelve at 100, etc.

I just saw pics, no range was stated.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Racing

• Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2018, 07:44:17 AM »
DVC - 2020

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #7 on: June 18, 2018, 12:32:35 AM »

Greetings My Dear Racing -
You can certainly pack more RB in if you use .31 but I have found the performance diminishes

#1.5 Buck  is .31 cal
#000 Buck is .36 cal

.36 RB holds it's velocity better easily out to 50-60 yards and is considered lethal out to 100yds, if you can hit the target.
here is some discussiuon re "long range shotgunning"

http://laissezfirearm.info/870full.htm

yhs
prof marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions