1858banner

Author Topic: Where to buy powder flask?  (Read 4327 times)

Offline wildcat455

Where to buy powder flask?
« on: March 14, 2018, 09:39:07 PM »
I've seen you guys have pretty nice powder flasks. The only one I have is the plain Jane one I got with my Pietta 1858 Remington NMA. I was thinking for the time being using that one with my 1847, and getting something with a nostalgic engraving or embossing that goes with the gun, just fishing for ideas here. Kind of wanted to stay away from sportsman's and Cabela's if possible.

Offline Sooty Barrels

Re: Where to buy powder flask?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2018, 06:30:53 AM »
Dixie Gun Works
Shoot-em if you got-em!

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2018, 06:42:22 AM »
Dixie, Track of the Wolf, Possibles Shop etc but don't get a cheap one.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 07:44:58 AM »
I've  got a couple new ones for sale and other accessories.
PM me and we can talk
My prices are usually lower than the Dixie, TOW    and others
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 01:03:51 PM »
I rarely ever use a flask anymore (preferring a bench-top powder measure in making paper cartridges) but they are a nice accessory.  You should probably have at least one nice repro flask, or one original.

The valve is the weak point with the Italian repro flasks.  Mine all leak some powder when you're tap, tap, tapping the powder out during the loading process.  I suppose the valve assembly could be taken apart and refit, but since I don't use them much I haven't felt the urge to break into it.

The plain, round brass flask with the push-button valve actually works better than the repros of period flasks, but it's not as pretty, nor is it "period correct".  The repro flasks also hold a lot more powder (depending on model), which is nice.

Also, some people disassemble the flask for re-filling.  With the repro flasks it involves removing the little teeny screws that hold the top assembly to the flask body.  Don't.  It's much easier, and less hard on the flask, to use a small funnel that fits tight over the flask spout (the typical reloading bench funnel is perfect for this)-- Just hold the funnel tight against the spout opening, hold the valve open, and pour.  When the flask is full you'll have some powder in the funnel, so have something ready to catch the left-over "powder-in-transition".

Better yet, pour from a powder container that has a valved spout on it.  The valved tops are available for several powder containers.  No funnel is necessary in that case, and there's no chance of spilling powder.  Select a flask spout that fits the powder can spout tightly.  Shove one spout into the other, invert, hold both valves open until powder stops flowing, close the flask spout, keeping the powder can spout open, invert again to dump the powder-in-transition back into the powder can.  Done.  Not one granule spilled, and no fiddling with teeny screws.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 01:06:04 PM »
Cabela's also sells them.  Do an internet search and you'll come up with a dozen sources.  Since DD4Life here has them though, you need look no farther.  He'll do right by you.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2018, 01:21:12 PM »
To fill a flask, I unscrew the spout, hold the valve open and insert the funnel nose into the flask. The valve is then held open and you don't need a third hand to handle everything.

Offline wildcat455

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2018, 12:49:50 AM »
I went to Cabelas today and saw the Italian plain one with the 3 tiny little screws and thought to myself "let me count the ways I could mess this up..." good info on filling it though, omnivore. This is the kind of info that'll keep me from ruling out stuff.

The one I got when I bought the 1858 came in a kit and the top unscrewed filling it was pretty easy.

DD4, you'll have a PM shortly.

Guys, thanks a bunch!!

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2018, 06:11:59 AM »
Here's a good way to fill your flask    http://www.tdcmfgstore.com/agora.cgi?cart_id=50482306.777959&p_id=ZFFF&xm=on&ppinc=search2    I use this funnel for a lot things besides filling flasks.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2018, 09:11:00 AM »
I use a round CVA brass flask. It 's not period correct but it's heavy duty and both ends screw off. If you're careful you can fill it straight from the powder bottle without a funnel. {L*
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Bishop Creek

« Reply #10 on: March 16, 2018, 11:46:16 AM »
Here's a good way to fill your flask    http://www.tdcmfgstore.com/agora.cgi?cart_id=50482306.777959&p_id=ZFFF&xm=on&ppinc=search2    I use this funnel for a lot things besides filling flasks.

The funnel that Mike linked to works great. I have been using one for years. Just unscrew the spout, screw the funnel into the flask and fill. Very simple.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline wildcat455

« Reply #12 on: March 17, 2018, 12:12:55 AM »
Wow! Cool stuff you guys! I am so glad I found this board!

Offline bladesmith

« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2018, 01:52:30 PM »
To fill from a 1# can an empty brass case can be cut off at the primer end, a hole punched in a 1# cap and solder the case in place. I think this was suggested in a Dixie catalog. I've got a couple.

Offline drobs

« Reply #14 on: April 13, 2018, 01:39:36 AM »
I use a round CVA brass flask. It 's not period correct but it's heavy duty and both ends screw off. If you're careful you can fill it straight from the powder bottle without a funnel. {L*

+1

Think I was reading on this board about using an empty fired shell casing, wired to the flask, instead of your thumb to get the most accurate / consistent charge.

My flask:
NRA Life Member