1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Using household squeeze bottle as powder flask SAFE/NO?  (Read 810 times)

Offline Lord Woodsball

Using household squeeze bottle as powder flask SAFE/NO?
« on: July 25, 2018, 03:09:44 PM »
I saw a youtube video where someone repurposed a contact lens solution bottle into a powder flask

So I got to thinking I want to purchase a 10 oz plastic squeeze bottle with cut-off tip and cap (like a ketchup bottle) and use it as my first-ever powder flask
SOMETHING I HAVEN'T DONE YET, because,
Before I do something like this I want to pass it by you folks if it's a good SAFE idea or not

Do static electricity spark spontaneously in plastic bottles?
I remember when I was a kid I would go down playground slides made out of a plastic material and my hair would stand on end
Is this static what also happens inside dried plastic bottles?

I hope this discussion doesn't cause an uproar, I just wanna save money so long as I don't endanger myself and others
Am I worrying too much / too little ?

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Using household squeeze bottle as powder flask SAFE/NO?
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2018, 04:09:26 PM »
I don't...THINK...static discharge would be a problem?  There's a youtube vid out there, showing a guy using an ignition coil to throw massive sparks into a little pile of black powder, and the powder never did light off.  The granules are coated in graphite, "they" say, which is fairly conductive, and contains a fair percentage of carbon, which, ditto.  Other than that I couldn't say.  Would I bet my right hand, a trip to the hospital in an ambulance, and thousands of dollars in medical bills on it?  Probably not.

Anyway, you'd need a separate measure.  When using a flask in the past I always used the flask spout and valve to throw a measured charge, but then I suppose, at a formal range, the range Safety Nazis would gang-tackle me for doing that.  Does this, with the above paragraph, make me a hypocrite?  Maybe...  Each has his own comfort zone in certain circumstances.

I never bring a flask into the field anymore, being that my "flask" is now a bench-top powder measure from which I throw charges into paper cartridge cases.  For me the only reason to carry a flask at all would be test new loads, to select powder type and charge weights for the paper cartridges.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline Lord Woodsball

« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2018, 04:50:33 PM »
Oh I forgot to mention I also have a 5-45 grain brass little powder measurer to use alongside the flask! Thanks for reminding me

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #3 on: July 25, 2018, 05:13:55 PM »
I won't adress "what kind of spark it takes" to set off BP.....

BUT
it is important to know exactly what kind of plastic is involved.

Plastic BP bottles are specially formulated (just like plastic and foil Computer Circuit Board pouches) with additivies to be conductive and dissipate any static.
That costs extra.

I very highly doubt that anybody else is putting those formulas in thier bottles, especially eyewash, cleaners, personal products, food ,etc.

Thus, even as cheap frugal as I am, I would not do it. I got one these from someones junk box:

https://www.hyattgunstore.com/cva-solid-brass-powder-flask-field-model.html

then there are these:
https://www.amazon.com/Traditions-Performance-Firearms-Muzzleloader-Flintlock/dp/B001GXCLRA

and one can always make one out of a little horn. or even solder up some scrounged  brass and copper plumbing fittings.

Another problem with any plastic, is the possibility of a spark burning thru the stuff.
I may be cheap, but I am not gonna risk blowing some fingers off.

yhs
prof marvle
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions

Offline GrayFox

« Reply #4 on: July 25, 2018, 09:11:40 PM »
Strangely enough, Thompson Center sells a transparent plastic powder flask that hold 6 or 8 ounces of powder.  I ended up with one as part of a trade I did for 2 '58s from a cowboy action shooter I know.  Perhaps it's one of the good plastics the good professor described.  GF

Offline prof marvel

• I don't think I know as much as *you* think I know
« Reply #5 on: July 25, 2018, 09:48:59 PM »
Strangely enough, Thompson Center sells a transparent plastic powder flask that hold 6 or 8 ounces of powder.  I ended up with one as part of a trade I did for 2 '58s from a cowboy action shooter I know.  Perhaps it's one of the good plastics the good professor described.  GF

My Dear Grayfox -
I can, with almost 99% certainty, state that the commercial products such as that one uses one of the expensive "conductive plastics"  which are deliberatley
manufactured so as to dissipate any electrical charge.

other random containers? not so much.

yhs
prof (used to do stuff) marvel
Professor Marvel's Traveling Apothecary and Fortune Telling Emporium
Purveyor of Patent Remedies, Snake Oil, Cleaning Supplies, Percussion Caps, Pins, Needles, Dry Goods, and Picture Postcards

Supplier of Useless Advice for All Occasions