1858banner

Author Topic: Carved Antler powder measure  (Read 1378 times)

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Carved Antler powder measure
« on: March 04, 2018, 07:27:54 PM »
I'm not an old hand at this but I believe this turned out OK for a first attempt.   
I've seen lots of these powder measures over the years and always wanted to try to make one myself.  Recently there was a post on the Colt Country forum that prompted me to attempt making one.   

It's made from an old Elk antler tine I had.   The piece was a little flat on one side so I had to kind of go with the natural shape.   Here's how it turned out.

Cut to length and sanded smooth, calibrated to 100 grains.   

I like the color now so I'm not going to stain it just yet.  I'll use it for a while and see what it looks like.    I'll probably try my hand at some more of these in the future but for now I've got a bunch of leatherwork to do so this kind of stuff will take a back seat for a while.   Maybe I'll try a powder horn soon.

Here's a link to the post that got me started  http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2648.0.html  and my post with more photos and info.     http://blackpowdersmoke.com/colt/index.php/topic,2779.0.html

Offline Captainkirk

• Forum Caesar, Administrator Extraordinaire, Part-Time Gunslinger, Savior of used and abused, and neglected Remmies
  • Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Black Powder Nut & Remmy fanatic
Re: Carved Antler powder measure
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2018, 09:01:52 PM »
Primo A#1 job, Mike. Seriously.
"You gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2018, 09:23:46 PM »
Awesome!
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Mad Dog Stafford

• The Forum Drunk!
  • Administrator
  • No Life Whatsoever!
  • And away I go! What? Me worry? Nay!!!
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2018, 09:19:43 AM »
Nice!  (T^
Tombstone(not the pizza kind)
Heaven didn't want me and Hell was afraid I'll take over!

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 05, 2018, 10:30:04 AM »
Very nice.  I'd thought about making one, now and then, but never got around to it.  That one you did there is definitely inspiring.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2018, 04:05:46 PM »
I guess I will see about re-working some of my feeble attempts; they are pretty plain.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: March 05, 2018, 06:35:37 PM »

I will see about re-working some of my feeble attempts; they are pretty plain.

There's nothing wrong with plain.  If it holds and easily despenses the amount of powder you want, and it can be attached to a lanyard of some kind, then it's a successful measure.  Also; if a plain tool gets damaged, lost or stolen you aren't as bothered by the loss.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline wildcat455

« Reply #7 on: March 14, 2018, 09:03:24 PM »
WOW! Just WOW!

I like your knife, too!