1858banner

Author Topic: Grits for filler above powder?  (Read 6974 times)

Offline TinMan2

• Retired Sgt. Demolition Safety Officer
Grits for filler above powder?
« on: January 31, 2018, 06:00:57 PM »
Anyone use grits for filler over the powder charge?  If so does it compress like corn meal or not like cream of wheat?
Regards, Mike
I could have gone to work today but the voices in my head said "stay home and clean the guns"

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
Re: Grits for filler above powder?
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2018, 06:33:36 PM »
I use Black Powder for filler.   Hawg will tell you the same thing.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2018, 06:58:55 PM »
Yep. You don't need filler. If you think getting the ball closer to the chamber mouth is going to give you more accuracy for everyday shooting you've got another think coming. It might, MIGHT give a smidgen more when shooting off a rest but that's it. Grits are for eating.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline DD4lifeusmc

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: January 31, 2018, 07:06:09 PM »
waste of money and grits.
to finish loading your full charge with BP or sub is the only way to load
if you use inert stuff when you load for real your poa /poi will be different
Not a big problem target shooting but could be a problem if you needed it!
The bended knee is not a tradition of our Corps.
General Alexander A. Vandergrift, USMC
to the Senate Naval Affairs Committee, 5 May 1946
------------
Marines Birthday  11/10/1775
USA birthday  7/4/1776

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2018, 07:19:54 PM »
Nope not for accuracy.  I use lube UNDER the ball.  Works excellent with a felt wad.  I want a cheaper range option than wads to keep the lube away from the powder charge and use wads while I carry in the woods and hunting.  Been shooting C&B Colts for 23 years and the New Army for 5 years.  I find my homemade bees wax parafin tallow  mix I make stays solid at 100f .  All I want is a narrow filler to keep the lube away from the powder if I sit the gun down in the sun at the range for awhile.  I have grits by the big bag full (use it to get rid of fire ants, it works).  Just wanted to know if anyone ever used grits.  In other words are their any negatives to using grits when firing a C&B revolver. 
PS using lube over the chambers by the time you get to round 4 most of the lube on 4 & 5 is long gone from the flames of 1-2-3.  When under the ball it's all still there. 
I've found C&B revolvers to be more accurate than any of the Duty guns I've ever carried and owned.  Loaded with a charge wt that's consistent no matter where the ball is seated deep or not as long as it's on top 3FFF.
Regards, Mike
I could have gone to work today but the voices in my head said "stay home and clean the guns"

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2018, 07:31:09 PM »
I use wads lubed with olive oil. I never had any powder contamination but you could use an over powder card if it bothers you. If I use lube over the balls most of it is gone from the first shot but it retains enough to do it's job. All you need is a little around the edge of the balls. Anything more is a waste.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2018, 07:34:24 PM »
What do you use for a card that doesn't burn?...or melt

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2018, 07:35:27 PM »
What do you use for a card that doesn't burn?

I make cards out of cereal boxes for my shotguns. I don't use cards in revolvers.

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2018, 07:36:55 PM »
treat it with anything

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2018, 07:38:18 PM »
No.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2018, 07:39:02 PM »
Punched out milk cartons are the best barrier material for keeping lube off the powder. Impermeable. 
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2018, 07:43:13 PM »
Punched out milk cartons are the best barrier material for keeping lube off the powder. Impermeable.

Those would work but I don't buy milk in cardboard cartons.

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #12 on: January 31, 2018, 07:47:49 PM »
 All the wife brings home are plastic bottled milk.  BUT, I will look for some if they are treated with WAX and not plastic they would work!
Thanks everyone.  I'm still going to try at least several cylinders full with a thin layer of grits this Friday.  I'm always trying something to make life easier/cheaper and thankfully slower.  I'm growing weary of life in the fast lane
Everyone have a nice evening..........Mike

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #13 on: January 31, 2018, 08:01:14 PM »
What's the difference between grits and corn meal?  I have thought they were the same thing. The European bros call it Polenta.

[This is Cali, so I know about Fruit Loops. Not for use in guns, though.]
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline TinMan2

« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2018, 08:38:16 PM »
I not positive but they don't make cornbread with grits and they don't serve cornmeal with breakfast here.  I just read on the BP forums that corn meal and cream of wheat is a go to for a filler and only occasionally you read all three with grits thrown in.  I think its all in the processing.  Like the difference between corn flakes and corn checks in cereal.  I just don't want to put anything down the pipe that would cause any problems with fouling or contamination.  BUT, I'm giving it a go Friday
Later, Mike