1858 remington forum

Author Topic: Keep em loaded!  (Read 2183 times)

Offline Little Billy

Keep em loaded!
« on: November 02, 2017, 05:00:47 PM »
I once kept an 1851 loaded and caped for about a year; in-doors in my safe. it went off every time.

So after that I put an 1861 away loaded; its now been more than two years. It has been in the same
 indoor environment, the safe. I think radical temperature change could cause (condensation to propagate hardening of the charge) other than that a good hot (well seald) primer should still ignite the damn thing.
Aint shot it yet, will keep informed.

Any one ever do this too?  {?|

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Keep em loaded!
« Reply #1 on: November 02, 2017, 09:23:11 PM »
I shot a CVA Hawken that sat uncapped in a broom closet next to a hot water heater in a laundry room for 12 years loaded with 90 grains of Pyrodex and a maxi ball. One cap, one trigger pull, one very loud boom.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: November 02, 2017, 11:01:21 PM »
Can't beat that.  That's a forum record, 12 years.

I went 16 months with 30 grains Pyro P, felt wad, and a .454 ball in a Remington; lube over the ball.  Five chambers capped with No. 10 CCI.  The cylinder was not specially stored but was just left out and around either on a gun or not.   

After those 16 months all five went off very well, just like you would expect on a fresh load and no cap jams. 

From observing smoke, sound and wood penetration it seemed that the powder had retained all its full mojo.
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline drobs

« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2017, 01:23:47 AM »
I like shooting my guns too much to keep them loaded and unused for that long of a time.

NRA Life Member

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2017, 03:08:17 AM »
The CVA belonged to my FIL who loaded it on his last hunting trip. He had a pacemaker and decided after that trip he wasn't well enough to go anymore. After he died his wife gave it to me and I found out it was loaded and fired it. I know it was 90 grains of Pyrodex and a maxi because there were four preloaded tubes in his hunting vest. That and I know what 90 grains feels and sounds like. After I got it her oldest son raised hell about it. She told me to keep it but to keep peace in the family I gave it back. The gun never had a spot of rust on it from being in that broom closet for so long until the hot water heater busted a few of years ago. The outside of the barrel rusted up pretty good but it was all surface rust that didn't ruin the bluing. It wiped right off with steel wool. She gave it to me again and told me to keep it, that her son had never said another word about it and didn't want it. I do have to keep it oiled now or it will start to rust again.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2017, 12:32:30 PM »
I like shooting my guns too much to keep them loaded and unused for that long of a time.

Yep and no way.  Without a spare cylinder or two for fooin with testing my own little experiment would never have happened. 

to keep peace in the family I gave it back.

Good man.  That worked out anyway.   (T^
« Last Edit: November 03, 2017, 12:37:02 PM by G Dog »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2017, 12:41:46 PM »
Good man.  That worked out anyway.   (T^

Kinda. I had already gave away all my .50 caliber molds because I said I'd never have another .50 again. Never say never.  M__

Offline Cross Plains Drifter

• Born 100 yrs. late !
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2017, 05:43:37 AM »
don't feel bad Hawg..........I "gave back" a 1923- '97 Winchester 12 gauge takedown that had been willed to me, but another family member wanted, and whined/pouted over for a long time.

I wouldn't hesitate to keep a BP revolver loaded indefinitely provided the lube wad is separated from the powder charge by a cardboard/heavy paper card.

decades ago I kept one loaded with pyrodex and overball grease for nearly 2 years ........the grease had cracked open and the caps were literally green, but every chamber fired like clockwork.
Democracy is 2 Wolves and a Lamb voting on what's for dinner.....
Liberty is a well armed Lamb !

Offline Little Billy

« Reply #8 on: November 06, 2017, 01:46:39 PM »
My Ruger BlackHawk stays loaded for ever. ;)

Aint shot the 1861 yet. Will soon.
 I realy like all the input!  {+*

Offline Gunslinger9378

• Ultimate Forum Legend
  • Some will...some won't....But I do!
« Reply #9 on: November 08, 2017, 05:26:38 PM »
Dear Friends,
            Wyoming was a disappointment to Me.  I  could not find another Black Powder Enthusiast. I stayed with DD$ for some weeks,but he had a lot to do with fixing up his house,so I tried to be a little useful by passing him tools when he was up a ladder! Once I found an apartment I could almost afford, I found that the only ranges were alI Indoors, and everyone knows that these ranges do not permit Black Powder!
            So when I got back to Arizona, I decided to go put to my usual spot in the desert!  Now All my cylinders had been loaded for at least 18 Months!  Some had been loaded for over two and a half years!  I fired all 96 rounds, (16 Cylinders.) Only had TWO failures to fire.  Those two chambers went off like Gangbusters  when I put fresh caps on the two nipples! Which proved to my own satisfaction, that my method of loading the revolvers, was as reliable as I had always thought it to be!   
            I fired off Betsina Last Of ALL!  I had put out a target a long ways off. I tried to pace out how far, but the desert out there is kinda uneven, and there were quite a lot of Mesquite bushes in the way from where  I was parked, and so I had to make detours.  Closest I was able to get,was that from the car,  (Where I was shooting from.) to where I had put the final Target was between 150, and 250 yards!  I decided to use the last three Cylinders in the Triplets, and to shoot the last 18 rounds, Duelist! I shot Clementine and Sophia first, then went to the target to see how  I had done. I knew I had missed two of the shots,because the Target Base was  made of metal,and after each Boom ,there would be a loud Clang!  I walked once more to the target,and found that the dozen shots I had fired, had produced a group of about 15 inches. (Of the ten that had connected!!)  I didn't think that was too shabby, considering the distance! Then I took Betsina,and still shooting Duelist,I fired all six rounds, got Six Booms, & Six Clangs, and upon getting to the target, I found that the last six shots had gone into a group of roughly 13"
            All three revolvers have pretty good Triggers, but Betsina's is the smoothest of all! The Next time I go out to the desert, I am going to take a large tape measure,so I can get a better idea of the true range I am actually shooting at! I will try and find a spot where the ground is more level, and where I don't have to go around so many Mesquite Bushes!  I was quite happy with my long range shooting, considering that I  had not done any shooting for almost exactly a year!  Especially as I Most usually shoot two-Handed!  I believe that I didn't think my Duelist shots would be much good,   and maybe that  steadied my hand, without my realizing it it!  Next time I will take a camera, and send some of the Targets to Capt Kirk. I have forgotten how to put pictures on the Forum, and do not have the same computer either!
                  Adios for now!   Johnnie Roper                             Alias:                        Gunslinger9378.

!

« Last Edit: November 08, 2017, 05:33:31 PM by Gunslinger9378 »
Never make the mistake of thinking I will not shoot..........
Because it may be your very last mistake!

Offline B. P. Roscoe

« Reply #10 on: November 08, 2017, 06:13:36 PM »
Johnnie, that sounds like it must have been fun!  Nice shooting too, at that distance.   /L&
Death to any and all who would bring war against my country...
www.rjgeib.com/thoughts/sherman/sherman-to-burn-atlanta.html