1858banner

Author Topic: Western Show Loot  (Read 1182 times)

Offline scrubby

• Pvt. Raymond Gouse - CO B 22nd Penna.Vol.Cav.
Western Show Loot
« on: March 10, 2019, 10:21:41 AM »
Mother was out of town so I took my 14 year old son to a small event at the Elks Lodge. Had a nice time chatting with oldtimers and the memorabilia buzzards. Little addition to the family will be my son's sidearm for hunting. stalking, and general woods roaming. A truly acceptable companion for the 1st Model 1873 I got him when he was 12.

Offline mazo kid

• Ultimate Forum Legend
Re: Western Show Loot
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2019, 11:00:12 AM »
Nice, start 'em young!

Offline vhram

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2019, 11:56:25 AM »
very nice !

Offline Len

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2019, 02:19:46 PM »
That's one lucky boy!

Offline G Dog

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2019, 03:16:15 PM »
"For we wrestle not against flesh and blood, but against principalities, against powers, against the rulers of the darkness of this world, against spiritual wickedness in high places".  
                                        Ephesians 6:12  (KJV)

Offline scrubby

« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2019, 03:41:41 PM »
Barrel is Fab Armi Fili Pietta Gussago BS Italy. Ser# 784 frame and barrel. Tried firing the Fiocchi caps I use on my original Remington, and the Pietta nipples do not like those caps . So maybe some new nipples, as I bought a case (10,000) of those caps and they work a treat on the 1858.

Offline scrubby

« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2019, 03:44:52 PM »
Also a mold followed us home.

Offline sourdough

« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2019, 04:12:18 PM »

That is going to be a very nice shooter. I am with G Dog. It is apparent that it is an Italian replica with the billboards, but I love the old ones and want to know what is on the left side of the barrel.

I have a 1993 ASM 1860 and the only markings are on the bottom of the barrel and the barrel lug, and it is in very good condition, but yours is better than mine. The wood is very good and appears to be an original shape.

Looking forward to your response.

Jim

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #8 on: March 10, 2019, 04:28:29 PM »
All I can make out on the left side of the barrel is "Made in Italy" and possibly "Model 1860" but the rest is obscure in the photo, due to motion blur.

Nice find though!  Let us know how it shoots!

I'm not fully convinced that the mold is for a heeled bullet.  The base band looks to my eyes to be full diameter.  The bullet also looks a mite too long to fit under the rammer.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline scrubby

« Reply #9 on: March 10, 2019, 10:28:22 PM »
The mold is a puzzle but I'm a sucker, and 20 clams brought it home. The top of the barrel says -Fab Armi Filli Pietta Gussago BS Italy-
I haven't seen the Gussago before. Is that an older period of Pietta's evolution? With ser#784 on the frame and barrel casting, can the age be identified? It looks to have been handled carelessly, and not properly cleaned before long periods of general neglect.
As for the mold, gents, I an certain it's going to be fun casting some boolits, measuring them out, deciding if a swage and some lub will make them useable, or they'll go in a drawer in the old Snap-on cabinet with the rest of the antique reloading gear.