1858banner

Author Topic: New DIY # 11 Perc Cap Maker  (Read 7151 times)

Offline n.h.schmidt

Re: New DIY # 11 Perc Cap Maker
« Reply #15 on: March 08, 2020, 09:13:01 AM »
Hi  New guy here
 I noticed this thread is a little old. I make my own percussion caps and have been down the road and back. We now can enjoy making caps with very good power and there a several ways to do this. I have a old Forrester Auto-cap and also a home made version that works like that. This Auto- cap works on a regular reloading press. It's rate of production is good.If I have everything ready to go and make no mistakes,600 to 800 an hour isn't hard to do. Fast but it makes the same cups that the hand operated dies do. There is a way to hook up the 22reloader die set to a arbor press and it should work very fast. I have also seen that someone has rigged up the die on a reloading press and also getting fast production. There are a lot of ways to fill the cups.Some work way better than others though. I have done all the ways that don't work hardly at all. Many years of failure to fire on my side locks. Lately I have been using either the Prime-all or something like it. The Prime -all has all the power you can use. It also has some problem with crumbling and falling out. That is easily fixed though. I don't know if anybody is still interested in this.If there is ,I will be happy to talk .
 There is also a way to make the german roll caps work much better than has been talked about here. No black powder is used.
 n.h.schmidt

Offline Steamburn

« Reply #16 on: March 08, 2020, 12:44:19 PM »
Yes N.H.  I am interested.

Offline n.h.schmidt

« Reply #17 on: March 08, 2020, 01:15:12 PM »
  Where are you at in this journey?  Have you started and  had the usual problems?
 n.h.schmidt

Offline Steamburn

« Reply #18 on: March 08, 2020, 01:31:08 PM »
I haven’t made any yet.  Gathering information for now.

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
« Reply #19 on: March 08, 2020, 02:23:17 PM »
I would like to know how you make German roll caps more reliable. I tried using plastic strip caps with a roll cap spot with the charge to the nipple side but they're only about 90% reliable.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline n.h.schmidt

« Reply #20 on: March 08, 2020, 03:47:42 PM »
Ok   For the german role caps.   Take a strip of the caps.For me between 20 and 40 dots. Drop it into some water and let soak for about a min. Not any longer though or the bottom paper turns to mush. Take the strip out of the water. On one end gently rub the thin red paper with your thumb and forefinger . The thin paper will break loose from the thick paper. You can then peel off the thin paper. You now have a strip of exposed black dots. With a sharp pairing knife or something close to that. You can run the blade down the paper and collect the dots right off the thick paper. Keep everything wet or it may not work so well. As you develop some skill at this you can even kind of stack the dots in line on the knife blade. They are very thin and you can use a lot of them in each cup. I scrape ten dots off the knife blade right into a cup. Even more if I want the power for my side lock guns. Once in the cups you can seat the dots down in the bottom.
 Set aside to dry. You aren't done yet. Your now charged cups will easily loose the cap dots if something isn't done. Some way must be used to cement the dots in the cups. For years I did this with several light coats of hairspray One can of Rave lasted me a very long time. Another has presented itself to me. If you get a tube of Duco cement and some acetone you have it made. A drop of Duco cement into a tablespoon of acetone will serve as a binder very nicely. Stir it up and use a matchstick end to act as a dipstick. You can put a drop into each cup and let dry. Nothing else need be done. You do get the benefit of NO paper being fired through the nipple. For revolver use with black powder as few as 4 to 6 dots will work.
 n.h.schmidt

Offline AntiqueSledMan

« Reply #21 on: March 08, 2020, 05:41:32 PM »
Hello n.h.,

So your stacking four to six toy caps in your homemade caps?
I remember as a kid hitting the whole roll with a hammer,
sounded like a rifle going off.

AntiqueSledMan.

Offline n.h.schmidt

« Reply #22 on: March 09, 2020, 09:50:50 AM »
I only use six if it's for my revolver. For my side lock rifles 10 to 15 dots. Even then there is a lot of space for more. I am now using real primer formulas for most uses. You can only go so powerful before the cup gives way and a lot of the power is wasted on the outside of the nipple. It helps to make the cups with two pop can layers. Much tougher that way. The Prime-All is a real primer formula. There are refinements that help to make it better and use less. All of this is corrosive too ,so clean completely. I shoot Pyrodex mostly so I have to really clean the guns.
 n.h.schmidt

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #23 on: March 09, 2020, 10:44:39 AM »
I shoot Pyrodex mostly so I have to really clean the guns.
 n.h.schmidt

Pyrodex isn't any worse than real bp. I sometimes go several days without cleaning and have gone as many as nine and I live in the humid south and I rarely tear them completely down.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #24 on: March 10, 2020, 07:34:13 AM »
Fer the pho-tee-graphs and video clips on the mixing and use of the "Prime-All", think I'd have ta defer to the master on that (Wash-Buster)! Don't think I could add anything to what he said in his video (he knows FAR more than I 'bout that "prime-all" - fact is he tried to 'plain it to me long time ago and I was [and am-] to dense to pick up on everything he was saying)!
                                                                      Will post those requested pho-tee-graphs and videos in this thread when I finally commence to gitten my Vac-U-Form toy to work right (or make a better jury-rigged vacuum press) entailing how to make percussion cap hulls outta milk jugs ('less Wash-Buster does it firstest)!
Well this is a pickle...
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline n.h.schmidt

« Reply #25 on: March 12, 2020, 12:54:47 PM »
  Hey SourMash   
 What's a pickle?   Could you explain a little?
 I do worry about cleaning pyrodex. Everyone says it's bad and is sure fire to rust your guns. Been using it since it came out off and on. No special rust problems with me. The corrosive caps used to cause problems until I got better at cleanup. I also now use Ballistall.
 I'm really surprised at so little interest in the making of percussion caps. It's all at our fingertips and so effective. Much much better than before using only the paper roll caps.   I have tried and and decided that any use of match heads for percussion caps is wasting my time. Tried several ways and it just isn't making it.
 What say you guys?
 n.h.schmidt

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2020, 01:36:52 PM »
I'm really surprised at so little interest in the making of percussion caps. It's all at our fingertips and so effective. Much much better than before using only the paper roll caps.   I have tried and and decided that any use of match heads for percussion caps is wasting my time. Tried several ways and it just isn't making it.
 What say you guys?
 n.h.schmidt

I'm not a fan of tedious chores. I don't even make paper cartridges. If it gets to the point of not being able to get any I'll make them out of the toy strip caps and will try your recipe but no more than I shoot these days the caps I have will last a long time.

Offline mike116

• Ultimate Forum Legend
    • LeathersmithMike.net
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2020, 02:06:18 PM »
I can't imagine myself making caps unless they became completely unavailable.   I have good sized hoard of them right now and at the rate I'm using them up I'll never run out.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #28 on: March 12, 2020, 03:52:42 PM »
  Hey SourMash   
 What's a pickle?   Could you explain a little?

The video link in the response I quoted is broken. .))
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.

Offline n.h.schmidt

« Reply #29 on: March 13, 2020, 02:56:55 PM »
Ok  Thanks for the response.   It is tedious that's a fact. It's only for the die hards who enjoy things like this. You got to wonder ,when Forrester first made these you could buy some percussion caps for $.50 to $.75. . Yet they had takers for the die even then.   
 n.h.schmidt