1858banner

Author Topic: Handguns of the Confederacy  (Read 5299 times)

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
Re: Handguns of the Confederacy
« Reply #15 on: November 07, 2017, 01:32:26 PM »
fantastic collection !
but i'm a tad confused about the yellow band and red sash........what mix is that?

Actually it's a mish-mash of uniforms.  Jacket is a Medical Corps Colonels, red worsted wool sash is an NCO sash worn by Sgts and above except Cavalry that wore yellow, and the cap is a cavalry enlisted cap.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline Fingers McGee

• Central Ozarks Western Shooters
« Reply #16 on: November 07, 2017, 01:39:03 PM »
Hi Fingers
years ago you had another avatar, if my memory serves me, was that you wearing the above discussed Confed officer's uniform at some Sass event?

I did have a different Avatar.  It was taken an the Missouri State SASS match a bunch of yeas ago.  I was wearing a non authentic Confederate Cavalry troopers uniform with a greatcoat.  It just so happened that the high temp that weekend hovered around 40 degrees IIRC.  I was shooting one of my 1861 Navies in the photo that caught the muzzle flash just right.
Fingers (Show Me MO smoke) McGee - AKA Man of Many Colts - Alter ego of Diabolical Ken; SASS 28564-LTG-Regulator, rangemaster and stage writer extraordinaire; Frontiersman, Pistoleer, NRA Endowment Life, NMLRA, SAF, CCRKBA, STORM 327, SV115; Founding member, Central Ozarks Western Shooters.  Member:  The Ozarks Posse, Southern Missouri Rangers, Moniteau Creek River Raiders, Butterfield Trail Cowboys.

Cynic: A blackguard whose faulty vision sees things as they are, not as they should be.  Ambrose Bierce

Offline toot

« Reply #17 on: October 05, 2020, 07:05:21 AM »
WOW!! I rely like seeing all of them. I didn't know that the REB'S had so many handguns? thanks for sharing them.

Offline SourMashII

• Forum Legend
  • Smokin'......
« Reply #18 on: October 05, 2020, 04:55:58 PM »

I think that the Confederacy did  the best they could under difficult times
considering lack of manufacturing sources and the embargo. {?(

It's my position, that had we enhanced said embargo, to absolutely cripple the southern economy ( Read an work by Thomas Stowell on the South, they were lazy and unorganized business men, would let a crop go fallow versus harvest it, if they had to do it themselves....) the institution of slavery could have been eradicated without bloodshed.

We didn't need cotton, we had discovered the benefits of hemp, and it could have been grown in Union located states, premium iron ore was right at the southerners fingertips, but too lazy to touch it, hence all the brass.

We could have avoided the whole war of Northern Aggression. In my humble opinion.

Ever since I watched Hell on Wheels, I have had a softspot of a G & G.

Ironically? My name sake, fought for Illinois B and D company; my other blood kin, traces back to Gen. Lee himself... Guess that's why I have a kinship for the cause of the south; oh, and state's rights are tantamount to freedom itself.

I have a such a bipolr love hate relationship with Mr Lincoln... lol
Soaking this up like a Parched sponge.