1858banner

Author Topic: Conversion  (Read 2535 times)

Offline West Texan

Conversion
« on: August 10, 2016, 12:04:30 PM »
Can you convert a single action revolver to cap and ball revolver

Offline Hawg

• Administrator
  • Ultimate Forum Legend
  • You done went and done it now!
Re: Conversion
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 02:11:01 PM »
Can you convert a single action revolver to cap and ball revolver

You could convert a Uberti Cattleman but it would ruin it for cartridge use but why would you want to?
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy, and tasteth good with ketchup.

Offline Omnivore

• Ultimate Forum Legend
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 03:20:37 PM »
Certainly, but I'd be simpler, and probably cheaper, to buy one of these;
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=879

Or one of the plethora of existing repro percussion revolvers, almost all of which are single action.

I too am curious as to what you have in mind.

The Model P percussion gun as linked above is popular in Europe, or so I'm told, as a way to have what looks like a Peacemaker without going through so many of the oppressive, restrictive legal hoops.  Otherwise I don't see the attraction.

Loading, for one thing, would be more complicated as you're forced to remove the cylinder each time.  Even if you plan to load off the gun anyway for some strange reason, the Remington percussion design is more accommodating to the process.
But whoso looketh into the perfect law of liberty, and continueth therein, he being not a forgetful hearer, but a doer of the work, this man shall be blessed in his deed.   James 1:25 (KJV)

So speak ye, and so do, as they that shall be judged by the law of liberty.   James 2:12. (KJV)

Offline necessaryevil

« Reply #3 on: August 27, 2016, 07:49:42 AM »
Certainly, but I'd be simpler, and probably cheaper, to buy one of these;
http://www.dixiegunworks.com/product_info.php?cPath=22_92_187_189&products_id=879

Or one of the plethora of existing repro percussion revolvers, almost all of which are single action.

I too am curious as to what you have in mind.

The Model P percussion gun as linked above is popular in Europe, or so I'm told, as a way to have what looks like a Peacemaker without going through so many of the oppressive, restrictive legal hoops.  Otherwise I don't see the attraction.

Loading, for one thing, would be more complicated as you're forced to remove the cylinder each time.  Even if you plan to load off the gun anyway for some strange reason, the Remington percussion design is more accommodating to the process.

That's true in many European countries they are freely sold without any form of licencing to over 18's. So you can have the look and feel of a Peacemaker without any bureaucracy. They are not too reliable out of the box. Caps don't like the recoil shield. There are a few U.K gunsmiths who sell nipples that take 209 shotgun primers so then they become reliable. You can have them in nanny state England too, on a licence of course.

In the U.S I wouldn't bother with one.

A friend of mine had one of these in England. He did the reverse and made a .45 Colt cylinder from scratch in stainless steel for it.